Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has never made sense to me. I remember people drooling over how stiff, Samoa Joe works, or this wrestler or that wrestler... why is that impressive to you people? It's not like the people working stiff are taking the punishment.. they are only dishing it out and it's highly unprofessional.

Why is that impressive in any way, shape or form to you people?

·
Lynskey Lover
774 Posts
Because it makes it seem a bit more real I assume.

It's like when people say MMA > Wrestling because they actually hit each other, I'm sorry, but I don't like seeing guys getting knocked out or smacked stupid.

·
Banned
3,457 Posts
Good question.

It's like a ladder match, you praise somebody for doing impressive, like Hardy, for example, jumping on Edge in 2007, but wasn't it Edge who got crushed and broke the ladder in half?

I always view the person whos taking the punishment as impressive, that's just me.

·
Young winger learning from greats such as Downing
9,856 Posts
Yeah, it just adds more intensity to the contest. But only when both guys do it.

When just one guy is working stiff, he's an ass. But when both guys agree to work stiff and are knocking the hell out of each other, that makes a more entertaining match.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I thought that was mainly the Japanese wrestling fans who creamed over stiffness. If not then just Indy fans, I cant name one WWE wrestler that was loved because of stiffness, I mean, people hated Bob Holly and JBL was more due to his charisma

·
Hunter of Invisible Game
37,904 Posts
Depends, in my opinion there is a time in place for stiffness. If a match is supposed to be about an intense rivalry (i.e. Misawa/Kawada which went on for nearly 15 years) then yes a stiff match is called for because by all means both guys should be bringing serious amounts of hate. No one wants to see blatently fake looking strikes in a grudge match. On the otherhand douchebags who are stiff just for the sake of looking cool like Super (fat) Dragon just come of looking like pricks, which could be a way of getting heat but people generally cheered the guy anyways.

Also Japanese professional wrestling tends to be stiffer because it is perceived as a more legit sport than its American counterpart by their culture.

·
Lynskey Lover
774 Posts
But there's being stiff & being snug too.
If you can make it look like you're really drilling somebody, when all you're actually doing is nothing more than making it look like you are then that's far better.

·
Banned
3,560 Posts
I would much rather watch someone wrestle stiff than wrestle too light, it annoys the fuck out of me when it's unrealistic, if it's stiff, then it's believable and that's good enough for me. Although I may view the guy being stiff as an ass like mentioned above via Evolution.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Its the "realism" thing. I used to watch WCW Saturday Night when it was a jobber show specifically to see Scott Norton stiff the fuck out of some wimp. He used to get pretty ruthless with those powerbombs! Hell even my dad would come into the room when a Norton match was on, and he wasnt even really a wrestling fan. Theres also that aspect that the guy doing the stiffing is legit tough for being able to get away with it...or that the guy being stiffed is getting punished for something. Again, added realism factor.

·
Banned
3,560 Posts
Being the nub that I was, I wasn't able to tell if TNA was real or not because of all the hard hitting action that was going on, that's why I use to love it so much. Shame to see what it has become.

·
Made Out Of Nothing
11,589 Posts
"The harder you hit, the better wrestler you are. Fucking duh."- Mindset of nearly every northeastern indy wrestler.

·
Premium Member
18,721 Posts
Depends on the match imo. like Mcqueen said, if it's a rivalry that's supposed intense and filled with hatred, that's a match to work stiff in. but if your just working stiff to work stiff than that's just being a ass.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I don't know, it's pretty stupid.

It depends how stiff they work, I think Vader and people who work that stiff are pricks, one of the key points of wrestling is to protect your opponent in the match.

Danielson and Jericho can work a stiff style but not one that is going to injure people and break bones so I don't mind that.

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
It adds to the bad ass image. Tough guys. It makes wrestling seem like its not ballet. I like guys like Stan Hansen, but hate guys like Eddie Kingston. It all has to be in context. I love Vader matches. Guys who are bigger and/or taller then their opponent(s) shouldn't be flying around the ring (Matt Morgan) but should make their opponents WORK for it. Nothing wrong with working snugg like Regal does on occasion (all the time?) as it brings the match to another level and doesn't just seem like well choreographed stuff.

With all that said, I do have to mention that I do not become a mark for someone just because they work stiff or even strong style.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
It's because our natural male instincts tells us that seeing someone getting the shit beaten out of them is good. I prefer stiff workers because the realism it adds to the matches.

·
Registered
21,591 Posts
This has never made sense to me. I remember people drooling over how stiff, Samoa Joe works, or this wrestler or that wrestler... why is that impressive to you people? It's not like the people working stiff are taking the punishment.. they are only dishing it out and it's highly unprofessional.

Why is that impressive in any way, shape or form to you people?
Now I'm not a proffesional wrestler, so far be it from me to say what is or what isn't unprofessional in wrestling, but as a fan and from what I have seen or heard it would seem that working 'stiff' as you put is only a problem for certain wrestlers. Also it seems to me that working stiff is only a problem in north-America, where as in Japan it's treated as the norm and nobody bats an eye-lid towards it. In fact I watched 'In the ring with Steve Corino' recently and he told a story of how the young boys in Japan are told not to sell moves that are not snug because they look less realistic and it's insulting to the fans.

I'm quite old-school in my thinking towards wrestling and tend to lean towards the Japanese way of thinking when it comes to this. The way in which we enjoy watching a wrestling match is by suspending our disbelief, allowing us to believe for those few minutes that what we're watching is real and theoreticly either competitor could win.

I'm not saying when I watch a match I expect a fully strong style because I feel in certain Japanese promotions they go over the top. But when it comes to a match I personally get more joy out of watching if I can suspend my disbelief for long enough for me to think both guys (or girls) are really going at it and that at any second either could get the win.

Sometimes when the guys don't work snug, it can totally ruin the match and make it look like they're both just running through the steps, in which case there was no point for them to put their bodies through it, they could of just written it down, because if they're not going to do it properly then what's the point in doing it?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts