Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To the point where it verges on pathetic?

You always hear about those stories and see those shoot interviews with people talking about refusing to put someone over, refusing to lose, always wanting to win, trying to control their characters, and etc like it's real life or something.

I think some of these wrestlers are on the road so much that they start to think they ARE their characters... They don't realize it's a SHOW, it's a fricking character.

Who cares if you have to put someone over? Who cares if you're in a storyline that you might not like, or if you're used in a way that you don't want? YOU ARE A CHARACTER, it's not REAL life. Do some of those idiots backstage think actors run around screaming and arguing like "MY CHARACTER IN THE MOVIE IS NOT GONNA DIE OFF" or "I'M NOT PLAYING A ROLE OF A MURDERER, I'M NOTHING LIKE THAT"? Like seriously lol.

If I were a wrestler, it wouldn't matter to me HOW I'm used, as long as I'd actually get to wrestle, because I realize it's just a character and it's not real life. I think so many insecure wrestlers who DON'T KNOW THEMSELVES have a lot of trouble seperating reality from fantasy.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Even though I agree. I wouldn't say it's because they are insecure, more like they want to succeed. And jobbing to a comedy act or being humiliated by a Diva, in their eyes isn't going to help their cause.

·
I'm too busy, faded in Japan with the crew
10,380 Posts
bc ITS STILL REAL TO ME DAMNIT.

lol nah its just bc they are investing in their future. they want to be seen as unstoppable so they can main event wrestlemania year after year and get those big paychecks... austin triple h hbk bret hart hogan warrior nash savage they all had this issue in wwf and wcw

·
Banned
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Even though I agree. I wouldn't say it's because they are insecure, more like they want to succeed. And jobbing to a comedy act or being humiliated by a Diva, in their eyes isn't going to help their cause.
Humiliated? How are they humiliated unless they think they ARE their characters? They are playing a ROLE on television, no one is getting humiliated but their character, there's a script that they go by. It's all so stupid to me...

Is that girl who played The Exorcist role humiliated and evil because she played a crazy role? No.

Some wrestlers are so stupid and annoying to me. Like get over yourselves, wrestling is not real, if you lose it's not like you lost a real fight or something.

·
Banned
6,190 Posts
Because it's a business you can sink quickly in. If you're in the WWE and you don't solidify yourself as a legend, you can be dropped in an instant and forgotten about immediately and sent back to square one for the rest of your life.

·
Ted the Moth
12,866 Posts
$$$$$$$$$$

Plus, show-biz tends to create that kind of atmosphere. Ego and politicking and backstabbing and all that nasty stuff. Luckily there are still a few breaths of fresh air around if you care to look.
Do some of those idiots backstage think actors run around screaming and arguing like "MY CHARACTER IN THE MOVIE IS NOT GONNA DIE OFF" or "I'M NOT PLAYING A ROLE OF A MURDERER, I'M NOTHING LIKE THAT"? Like seriously lol.
At the same time, if you don't think that equally petty sort of bickering doesn't go on on the set of your favourite movie/TV show you're lying to yourself.

·
Banned
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Because it's a business you can sink quickly in. If you're in the WWE and you don't solidify yourself as a legend, you can be dropped in an instant and forgotten about immediately and sent back to square one for the rest of your life.
I doubt it. If they see you're willing to work and put the effort in, and that you realize you're just a character and it's just a script, I doubt they're going to fire you or whatever. They will keep obedient, consistent workers around and if you really are THAT good, eventually you will get a shot and you will get a push because you can work with everyone while still making yourself good.

This is why I respect certain women in wrestling sooo much more. Trish was such a huge, huge woman in the Diva's division and she had no problem putting over a newcomer like Mickie James at Wrestlemania, fair and square, at the grandest stage of them all. She put her over so well that Mickie went on to become the biggest Diva after Trish and Lita retired.

Some of the men and their ego are so out of control though.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Very tough business. Career can be over for numerous reasons in an instant. Lots of backstabbing behind the curtain.

·
Banned
2,015 Posts
I'm really not sure.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I agree. Playing politics is hugely important in WWE. It's very risky these days with no real competition to go to and wrestlers really have no leverage anymore in that respect. There's alwys going to be people crying about doing the job and the ones that do not will often be overlooked for a push. Ruthless Agression is important to succeed.

·
Banned
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree. Playing politics is hugely important in WWE. It's very risky these days with no real competition to go to and wrestlers really have no leverage anymore in that respect. There's alwys going to be people crying about doing the job and the ones that do not will often be overlooked for a push. Ruthless Agression is important to succeed.
And if they have to put over a talentless cunt, then oh well, do it. It's just a character. And if that person really is THAT bad and talentless, guess what? When they have harder opportunities to prove themselves, they are going to be EXPOSED, because they don't know what they're doing anyway, so it's only a matter of time once there's a microphone in their hand or they're thrown into the ring with another person with not much experience.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Not everyone can just take a bunch of losses and be seen by the general public as a strong character like say, The Rock, or Jericho can.

You protect your character so you look strong. You look strong so you draw, and sell merchandise. When you draw, and sell merchandise, companies pay you the big bucks.

Some of it is petty, but being a hard worker and a nice guy isn't enough to just get you over with a crowd if the organization is making you look like a clown. It's pretty simple. In your fairy tale world where all the nicest people get the best things, it might work though.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Ryback was set to be the stone cold shit for the new era. Then he lost 4 matches and became a fucking 'bully'and then finally ended up in a jobber tag team with axel for freaking a 50 yr old and his brother stardust.

So, yeah. I'd be insecure and way over protective of my spot, too. As would anyone thats not the rocks cousin. Ryder got over on his own and got buried. Brotus clay, somehow, made the worst idea for a gimmick on the planet tolerable and got released.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I doubt it. If they see you're willing to work and put the effort in, and that you realize you're just a character and it's just a script, I doubt they're going to fire you or whatever. They will keep obedient, consistent workers around and if you really are THAT good, eventually you will get a shot and you will get a push because you can work with everyone while still making yourself good.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Seriously?

They're neurotic because they make their livelihoods by catering to the whims of you, me, everyone on this site, and everyone watching the product. Their amount of success in their chosen profession is tied directly into how the audience perceives them. If they get booked as strong, cutting edge, and interesting, they'll hold the attention of the crowd, hopefully get over, and the money comes in nice and steady. But as soon as they stop being interesting? As soon as the audience turns their attention elsewhere and they start to fall down the card, or god forbid, off of regular tv? That money stops coming in as steadily, they have to start worrying about their job security. And once that popularity is gone, it's damn hard to get it back.

So put yourself in their shoes. If I want to make money to support my family, to maintain my lifestyle and make all the hard days along the way worth it, I need to be over sand stay over. And you bet your ass I'm gonna fight to keep it that way, I'll do everything I can in the ring AND backstage to make sure I'm in the best position possible. Because I know that the crowd I live and die by the whim of is populated by whiny, self-righteous, judgmental armchair quarterbacks who will turn on me at the drop of a hat for no real rhyme or reason. One half cocked rumor makes it out to the dirt sheets and gets disseminated to the rabid masses, I could be sunk without warning.

And let's not forget, I have very little say in the direction of my character because the product goes through rewrites at a rapid clip and is is written by people I may not even get to interact with, save for when the final scripts are handed down. So I need to make sure I'm on the good side of the right people backstage, and distance myself from anyone making too many waves. If politicking is the difference between being Sheamus and being Heath Slater or god forbid Drew McEntiyre, you'd better believe I will be political.

All in all, it's an extremely unstable environment, and being complacent or too laid back and working within the system could result in losing your footing in a heartbeat. Of course they're anal retentive control freaks that don't want to lose face or credibility. Wouldn't you be?

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
My thoughts exactly. Just "going with the flow" may lead you to be in Sandow's position, where many people now claim they can never take him seriously, even though he's one of the best mic workers in the company and is capable of putting on good matches (and is apparently a great guy in real life).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts