Wrestling Forum banner

Why are Christian marks so incredibly selfish?

2897 36
I've been consistently annoyed lately with the amount of whining the Christian marks have been coming out with. First of all, my favourite of all time is unquestionably The Rock, and while I'll defend him to the grave I'd never, ever put him in a position that would hold back other stars. For example, the recent Rumble, having it my way I'd have the returning Nash win the Rumble and go on to main event Wrestlemania. But I'm smart enough to realise that it would hold back many upcoming stars and ultimately be a step (backwards) in the wrong direction for the company. Or if for some miraculous reason we did have Rock vs Cena at this years Wrestlemania, I'd be cheering for Rock but I'd never even think about booking him to go over Cena.

Christian fans seem to take it to the next level, what is it with this guy that you mindlessly mark so bad for? I'm a big Christian fan, I enjoy his mic work and his in-ring work but why in hell should he be placed in the main event of Wrestlemania? He doesn't deserve it, ignoring pops that are most likely manually inserted on Smackdown anyway he hasn't been relevant for a long, long time, and you expect him to just waltz into the main event of Wrestlemania? This is Del Rio's run, and this is WWE's chance yet again to immediately establish a new main eventer in a very short space of time like they've done with Sheamus and Barrett. Not to mention that it completely goes against what the Rumble stands for, you've gone through 30 (or 40 in this case) stars to go on and main event Mania, kayfabe wise you earn that title shot for doing the unthinkable. Christian being inserted into the main event is both stupid and illogical, before his Slammy return him and Edge were sworn enemies, he returns and miraculously they're best buddies, now fans are calling for Edge vs Christian and honestly how fucking stupid does that sound?

Del Rio (another guy who I'm a big fan of) has come in and surpassed all requirements WWE could ever ask for a newcomer, he's the closest thing in terms of booking that we've had since Brock Lesnar's mega push and he's established himself as an fantastic heel and has a solid, all-round set of mic and ring work to boot, he looks the part and very much can carry the main event status with ease. Let him go over Edge or atleast come extremely close to doing so which would then mean he can pick up the title at a following PPV. Hell if you absolutely must have Christian inserted then let's do it after Mania, in the May or June PPV we can have Del Rio win the title, he can move on with it while we can have the Edge and Christian feud we all seem to want.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Premium Member
86,252 Posts
Well it's easy, as a Rock fan *like myself as well* to not be selfish when the Rock has had so much success.

I think Christian fans simple want Vince to throw them a bone and not jerk it away from them before they can bite it.

Vince is much like Lucy holding the football for Christian fans *Charlie Brown* to kick it. And that frustrates his fans... as it should.

· Premium Member
86,252 Posts
The problem is that everyone seems to think that Christian wants to be in the Main Event. There is nothing wrong with being a midcarder.
Of course he wants to be in the main event. If a wrestler doesn't want to be the best then get him the hell out of the company.

· Lucy Snorebush
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree with what you're saying LC, although my point on being a huge Rock fan was merely pointing out that although he's without a doubt my favourite, I'd never blindly wish him to go over in situations because of my favouritism of him simply because I know it'll have a negative affect on other people in the company and on the company itself. The majority of Christian will always pull for him even when it's illogical.

I've gotta stress my point though, I'm not bashing Christian himself, I love his work. I do feel though that he's going to be another Eddie Guererro who ends up getting atleast one world title because of how much the fans will him to, not because backstage felt like pushing him. At this moment in time, with the amount of upcoming stars (let's not forget Christian is 37 and has had a few injuries), I think it benefits the company more having him as the stepping stone for someone just outside the main event. Someone will go over a whole lot more on Christian because of the popularity he carries.

· The Definition of Excellence
1,631 Posts
Short answer: "Because THAT'S.... How we roll...."

Long(er) answer: From a storyline stand-point it makes perfect since. Del Rio put Christian on the shelf, now Christians back and wants revenge. What better way then to keep Del Rio from his "destiny" in winning the world title? The history between Edge and Christian doesn't even need to be documented here, its pretty much self explanatory. With Christian being the returning baby-face, fans expect nothing less then to see him confront the man who took him out in the first place. This isn't stretching. This isn't trying to find a way to wiesel Christian into a spot he has no place being in. The story was already there. Regardless, it's not like Edge vs Del Rio is a red hot feud. It needs some build. The hole "someone chasing the World Title should be enough story," deal is crap as it only works when its the baby face finally getting his chance to go for the title. Not the case here. And even then who says Christian in the main event would rob Del Rio of his moment? If anything it helps to MAKE the moment when he wins the world title at the first time, once again one-upping the baby face champion AND challenger. Theres no way he should win, and when he dose it'll piss people off that much more. Sounds like a good start to a heel championship reign for Del Rio to me.

As far as you would NEVER want your favorite to benefit at the cost of others... I call shenanigans.

· Registered
908 Posts
Ask yourself this question - If the Rock had never become World Champion and was constantly held back while other far less talented "superstars" were constantly being pushed instead, how would you react?

Im not exactly comparing Christian to the Rock, just using it as a comparison to how Christians fans feel.

· My name is 905 and I've just become alive
5,145 Posts
I've been consistently annoyed lately with the amount of whining the Christian marks have been coming out with. First of all, my favourite of all time is unquestionably The Rock, and while I'll defend him to the grave I'd never, ever put him in a position that would hold back other stars. For example, the recent Rumble, having it my way I'd have the returning Nash win the Rumble and go on to main event Wrestlemania. But I'm smart enough to realise that it would hold back many upcoming stars and ultimately be a step (backwards) in the wrong direction for the company. Or if for some miraculous reason we did have Rock vs Cena at this years Wrestlemania, I'd be cheering for Rock but I'd never even think about booking him to go over Cena.

Christian fans seem to take it to the next level, what is it with this guy that you mindlessly mark so bad for? I'm a big Christian fan, I enjoy his mic work and his in-ring work but why in hell should he be placed in the main event of Wrestlemania? He doesn't deserve it, ignoring pops that are most likely manually inserted on Smackdown anyway he hasn't been relevant for a long, long time, and you expect him to just waltz into the main event of Wrestlemania? This is Del Rio's run, and this is WWE's chance yet again to immediately establish a new main eventer in a very short space of time like they've done with Sheamus and Barrett. Not to mention that it completely goes against what the Rumble stands for, you've gone through 30 (or 40 in this case) stars to go on and main event Mania, kayfabe wise you earn that title shot for doing the unthinkable. Christian being inserted into the main event is both stupid and illogical, before his Slammy return him and Edge were sworn enemies, he returns and miraculously they're best buddies, now fans are calling for Edge vs Christian and honestly how fucking stupid does that sound?

Del Rio (another guy who I'm a big fan of) has come in and surpassed all requirements WWE could ever ask for a newcomer, he's the closest thing in terms of booking that we've had since Brock Lesnar's mega push and he's established himself as an fantastic heel and has a solid, all-round set of mic and ring work to boot, he looks the part and very much can carry the main event status with ease. Let him go over Edge or atleast come extremely close to doing so which would then mean he can pick up the title at a following PPV. Hell if you absolutely must have Christian inserted then let's do it after Mania, in the May or June PPV we can have Del Rio win the title, he can move on with it while we can have the Edge and Christian feud we all seem to want.
The problem is that your way is absolutely terrible and almost nobody other than yourself would want to see it.

I'm 99% joking btw (although Nash...really?) People have a hard time letting the Christian thing go because he's a talented wrestler who never got a world title reign. Many are trained to expect any well rounded talent to reach the top these days, and fuel is added to the fire when awful guys like Khali win it. I try to keep it in perspective by remembering guys like Curt Hennig and Ted DiBiase Sr. who were also extremely talented and never won the big one.

· Premium Member
86,252 Posts
I agree with what you're saying LC, although my point on being a huge Rock fan was merely pointing out that although he's without a doubt my favourite, I'd never blindly wish him to go over in situations because of my favouritism of him simply because I know it'll have a negative affect on other people in the company and on the company itself. The majority of Christian will always pull for him even when it's illogical.

I've gotta stress my point though, I'm not bashing Christian himself, I love his work. I do feel though that he's going to be another Eddie Guererro who ends up getting atleast one world title because of how much the fans will him to, not because backstage felt like pushing him. At this moment in time, with the amount of upcoming stars (let's not forget Christian is 37 and has had a few injuries), I think it benefits the company more having him as the stepping stone for someone just outside the main event. Someone will go over a whole lot more on Christian because of the popularity he carries.

I understand what you're saying but I don't see how giving Christian a world/wwe title run would hurt the company any more than giving Sheamus, Swagger, Miz, Ziggler or Edge *10 or is it 11 now?* title reigns.

I understand Christians fans' frustration over stuff like that.

I'm not a huge fan of any one wrestler at the moment but I remember being a huge fan of wrestlers and wanting my favorite wrestler to hold the world/wwe title. I see nothing wrong with that.. and I don't consider it selfish.

· Registered
92 Posts
This is Del Rio's run, and this is WWE's chance yet again to immediately establish a new main eventer in a very short space of time like they've done with Sheamus and Barrett.

Hell if you absolutely must have Christian inserted then let's do it after Mania, in the May or June PPV we can have Del Rio win the title, he can move on with it while we can have the Edge and Christian feud we all seem to want.
1) But look at Sheamus and Barrett now. They got a hell of a push early on and are now bobbing around with seemingly nowhere to go. I like them both (oddly, I don't like ADR but I can see he's mega-over so I can suck it up), but at the moment they seem to be suffering from their initial pushes, and the same could happen to Del Rio.

2) My wife, who's more of a CC mark than me, had the idea that he could win the MITB match, building some extra trepidation for the Edge-Del Rio match and then if Del Rio wins, try to cash it in on him. I think if Edge wins Christian could either turn heel and cash it in or say he'll wait until Edge drops the belt to cash it, at which point Edge could say "Yeah, good luck with that" and they can take it from there.

Obviously, this part of it depends on Morrison not winning MITB, so it's a long shot.

· Lucy Snorebush
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Short answer: "Because THAT'S.... How we roll...."

Long(er) answer: From a storyline stand-point it makes perfect since. Del Rio put Christian on the shelf, now Christians back and wants revenge. What better way then to keep Del Rio from his "destiny" in winning the world title? The history between Edge and Christian doesn't even need to be documented here, its pretty much self explanatory. With Christian being the returning baby-face, fans expect nothing less then to see him confront the man who took him out in the first place. This isn't stretching. This isn't trying to find a way to wiesel Christian into a spot he has no place being in. The story was already there. Regardless, it's not like Edge vs Del Rio is a red hot feud. It needs some build. The hole "someone chasing the World Title should be enough story," deal is crap as it only works when its the baby face finally getting his chance to go for the title. Not the case here. And even then who says Christian in the main event would rob Del Rio of his moment? If anything it helps to MAKE the moment when he wins the world title at the first time, once again one-upping the baby face champion AND challenger. Theres no way he should win, and when he dose it'll piss people off that much more. Sounds like a good start to a heel championship reign for Del Rio to me.

As far as you would NEVER want your favorite to benefit at the cost of others... I call shenanigans.
This is exactly the type of poster I hate. How does it make perfect sense? If Del Rio already HAD the title, and a returning, Rumble winning Christian was heading to Mania I'd be all for it. Let's say your point is correct (despite the fact Christians already had revenge by kayfabe beating a living hell out of ADR after Elimination Chamber), why would Christian force his way into Edge's title defense, you know the guy who's meant to be his best friend/brother (no idea what WWE is rolling with nowadays). Yeah the history between E+C doesn't need to be documented because it's fucking stupid, they went from sworn rivals to best buddies in the space of 2 months with no explanation.

And as for never wanting my favourite to benefit at the cost of others, believe what you want. I watch WWE for the product and not for individual stars, I have my favourites but I'd never illogically put him over to get a quick fix of marking out.

· Premium Member
26,901 Posts
I kinda of understand being frustrated with his lack of push but on the other hand, I don't get the frustration when WWE has proven to not really give a fuck about him. I can understand if he was getting a major push and then they did a Kofi on him but that hasn't happened. They never dangled the carrot in front of him in the first place.

· Lucy Snorebush
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Ask yourself this question - If the Rock had never become World Champion and was constantly held back while other far less talented "superstars" were constantly being pushed instead, how would you react?

Im not exactly comparing Christian to the Rock, just using it as a comparison to how Christians fans feel.
You're making it sound like I only have Rock as a favourite. I've got plenty of favourites I'd love to have gone much further, I was a huge Malenko fan but knew he could never carry himself because of mic work. I also enjoyed the early career of RVD, and although they actually ended up doing it, I'd never have thought he should've been a world champion.

I understand what you're saying but I don't see how giving Christian a world/wwe title run would hurt the company any more than giving Sheamus, Swagger, Miz, Ziggler or Edge *10 or is it 11 now?* title reigns.

I understand Christians fans' frustration over stuff like that.

I'm not a huge fan of any one wrestler at the moment but I remember being a huge fan of wrestlers and wanting my favorite wrestler to hold the world/wwe title. I see nothing wrong with that.. and I don't consider it selfish.
Not disputing this, I'm not against a Christian world title reign, he's obviously over enough to legitimately win a world title, just saying in this case that heading to Wrestlemania and inserting himself into the Edge+ADR feud would be bad for business. EDIT: And it could only stand a chance of harming ADR's career. Right now he has nothing to lose, he's going up against Edge who's a (what is it 12 now?) time champion, if he loses then kayfabe wise he loses to a veteran, if he wins then he's beaten one of the top faces of the company and has instantaneously established himself as a solid main eventer (if he hasn't done so already).

1) But look at Sheamus and Barrett now. They got a hell of a push early on and are now bobbing around with seemingly nowhere to go. I like them both (oddly, I don't like ADR but I can see he's mega-over so I can suck it up), but at the moment they seem to be suffering from their initial pushes, and the same could happen to Del Rio.

2) My wife, who's more of a CC mark than me, had the idea that he could win the MITB match, building some extra trepidation for the Edge-Del Rio match and then if Del Rio wins, try to cash it in on him. I think if Edge wins Christian could either turn heel and cash it in or say he'll wait until Edge drops the belt to cash it, at which point Edge could say "Yeah, good luck with that" and they can take it from there.

Obviously, this part of it depends on Morrison not winning MITB, so it's a long shot.
Sheamus and Barrett are doing nothing right now but if WWE said tomorrow "oh actually we're putting Sheamus against Miz and Barrett vs Edge at Mania for the titles", ignoring logic and storyline you couldn't question it. Although they're doing nothing now, you can't argue with their main event status. They're full fledged main eventers and if they get inserted into a storyline with Cena, HHH, Orton or Taker you wouldn't question how legitimately they can stand toe to toe with the above names.

· Lucy Snorebush
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The problem is that your way is absolutely terrible and almost nobody other than yourself would want to see it.

I'm 99% joking btw (although Nash...really?) People have a hard time letting the Christian thing go because he's a talented wrestler who never got a world title reign. Many are trained to expect any well rounded talent to reach the top these days, and fuel is added to the fire when awful guys like Khali win it. I try to keep it in perspective by remembering guys like Curt Hennig and Ted DiBiase Sr. who were also extremely talented and never won the big one.
I guess you were just joking but just to clarify the point so I'm not viewed wrongly: yeah, the mark in me would have Nash win. I mean the returning Nash, a favourite of mine for like forever, I'd love for him to win. But obviously as I tried to put across in earlier points, it would be ridiculous to have a 51 year old who's most likely to injure his quad walking to the ring at Mania than to have a rising star like Del Rio or I dunno, Ziggler, Morrison etc.

· Registered
92 Posts
Sheamus and Barrett are doing nothing right now but if WWE said tomorrow "oh actually we're putting Sheamus against Miz and Barrett vs Edge at Mania for the titles", ignoring logic and storyline you couldn't question it. Although they're doing nothing now, you can't argue with their main event status. They're full fledged main eventers and if they get inserted into a storyline with Cena, HHH, Orton or Taker you wouldn't question how legitimately they can stand toe to toe with the above names.
Yes, I agree. I wasn't disagreeing with you as such, just thinking that I can see Creative fucking up with ADR the same way they have with the aforementioned two. I don't get their hot/cold pushing, it irritates me especially with those wrestlers mentioned, who I like a great deal.

· Registered
420 Posts
I kinda of understand being frustrated with his lack of push but on the other hand, I don't get the frustration when WWE has proven to not really give a fuck about him. I can understand if he was getting a major push and then they did a Kofi on him but that hasn't happened. They never dangled the carrot in front of him in the first place.
Actually, they did. 2005 he was main eventing against Cena and Jericho before he left for TNA.

· Registered
484 Posts
Christian deserves to be in the main event. He all the talent and done everything else that he possibly could. Yes he did fuck up by going to TNA but hey, everyone makes mistakes. He could be put in the main event to make and put over a up and coming star so how is that selfish?

Do I think he is ever going to main event and/or win the belt? Nope, but it would be nice if he did.

· KAMEHAMEHA!
33,834 Posts
Speaking for myself, I want to see the best talent in the company recognized, which he's been since he returned in 2009, which will in turn lead to him being featured more prominently on TV. And that will lead to me being more entertained.

I'm sorry.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.