Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
25,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last July, American Alpha was the first tag team selected in the draft to be on the Smackdown Live brand. They had some success initially winning several matches, being the catalyst for the Usos’ heel turn, and they even won the belts late last year to a big pop.

But, they’ve since gone onto lose their tag titles to The Usos before WrestleMania and haven’t been seen since they lost their rematch. And now, they’re the 4th most important team on Smackdown behind New Day, The Usos, and now (shockingly) Breezango.

As much as people (including myself) will praise Smackdown when the brand split first started, one thing they did drop the ball on was their handling of American Alpha. Hell, they dropped the ball with the whole tag division really but that’s another story for another day.

Now, for some history, let’s look back at their story as a tag team starting in NXT:

To, recap Jason Jordan was constantly losing tag team matches with different partners, trying to find the right match. Along the way, came offering his assistance in his own unique way. While Jordan found Gable annoying was not interested, after continuing to fail he acquiesced and allowed Gable to be his partner.

Now, you may think I just posted a bunch of videos above for the sake of doing so. But my intention was to take you from the beginning of their journey to the end of it. And at the beginning, they started off as unlikely tag team only put together because Jordan was desperate. But as you watch the videos, quickly over time, things changed.

All of a sudden, they began to mesh as a tag team. In just a few short months they had gone from nothing to a successful act. In storyline and real life, 3 things increased every time they went out there, their chemistry, their popularity, and their friendship. And this all culminated in them eventually winning the tag team championship.

This is you what you call great story and character development. Jason Jordan specifically had great character development. He started out as a man only looking out and thinking about himself. But over time, he grew to accept Gable not only as a great tag team partner, but also a genuine friend.

Truly a great story. But, there in lies the problem. Their story was told in NXT. Their struggle was told in NXT. And when they got to Smackdown, they were basically just 2 best friends who also happened to be great wrestlers. Which is fine, but it also limits them.

And now, given the current position they are in, it’s time for a new story to be told. I believe it’s time to turn them heel. And it’s really a simple story. They’re jealous after having so much hype only to fall short of expectations. And now they will adopt new attitudes to reclaim their spot. Some might argue it’s too simple. But, their formation as a team was a simple story. The thing that made it great was their execution of it.

And some will even say that all they need is more promo time. But the thing is, promo time without character time doesn't help all that much. And right now, I think they've gone as far as they're babyface team will take them. I think they could be great cocky heels. I think they could be great wrestling machine heels. I believe in these guy's talents to make it work.

I think it’s time American Alpha switched it up and turned heel. It’s time for a new story. What do you think?

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
They need to first put ANY effort into booking them. They literally brought them in, made them win some matches, win the title, lose the title, then they just disappeared. The Usos feud had potential but they just scrapped it. The whole tag division was on fire last year. Slater and Rhyno, Alpha, Usos, Wyatts. Fuck this creative peaces of shit.

Reactions: Ace

·
Stomping Scrawny Vanilla Midgetesses
4,302 Posts
They actually need to have consistent on-screen time for anything to work. Breezango, Usos and now The New Day will be getting it. American Alpha feuding with New Day though regardless of face or heel sounds like $$.

·
Madness is the emergency exit
2,826 Posts
The white guy has zero mic skills, and the black guy is basically just like Apollo Crews in not being able to do anything but smile. I think a heel turn would be even worse for them. I'd like to see to a solo babyface run with Jordan. At the very least change their music because it is boring as fuck.

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
I haven't seen them in ages.....I forgot they were a tag team....

That is WWE's plan to make everyone "still" like New Day....Kill DIY and American Alpha, and then make Uso's finally bad ass, just so New Day can prance in like little winged monkey's and take the belts....

God...I don't think I can stand another Summer Slam with New Day as Tag Champs...I'm not a hater, but they need to break up ASAP...............What is the point of reviving Kofi's career, turning Xavier from jobber to mid-card, and making Big E a megastar, if all of them sit on their asses and do nothing?!?

DIY built up 2 amazing singles stars, and took them how long to become amazing?!? A year of DIY at most.....New Day been doing this shit for years and they still together for god knows why...If I was Big E, I'd ask for a title, and after he becomes a title holder, turn him into a "rock" like swagged out baller, who lets fame and fortune go to his head til he replaces New Day with a valet girl! Then Kofi can revive his career and replace Ziggler, and Xavier can be his manager.....Then in 3 years revive the New Day for special comeback against Shield, after Roman destroys the product into the "Big Dog Era".

·
Lifting weights and eating steaks
19,181 Posts
I suggested this weeks back.

Just have them frustrated by the fact that they're the best athletes in the company and aren't even getting television time. Gable can do the talking as he's the supreme mic worker, especially as a heel, and can play on his Olympic background to state this. Have them do everything they can to get on television, perhaps interrupting matches and cutting promos about how superior they are.

·
Premium Member
5,302 Posts
The white guy has zero mic skills, and the black guy is basically just like Apollo Crews in not being able to do anything but smile. I think a heel turn would be even worse for them. I'd like to see to a solo babyface run with Jordan. At the very least change their music because it is boring as fuck.
Give them another chance. Theres a reason why they were considered one of the most over teams in NXT and that includes Revival and DIY. They are amazing wrestlers but a lot of criticism falls on their charisma which isn't true. I think the majority of people who watched their NXT run would agree with me in that they were charismatic, both of them. In fact, when they were first called up, I don't remember anyone really fearing for their future because of lack of charisma. Even guys like Balor and Crews had people questioning their charisma back in NXT, not so Alpha. Its just a case where creative has given them no character development since coming up to the roster meaning the crowd has no reason to care which was in stark contrast to their NXT run which was filled with character development.

Only real criticism I can find is mic skills but again, even in NXT neither were bad on the mic. Both were average and they were the type of people to show their emotions in their matches over words anyway. Somehow, a lot of the mic skills they had on NXT didn't get transferred to the main roster. I know a lot of people think mic skills isn't developed in NXT, but its more like when they get to the main roster everyones promo skill falls a level. Even Austin Aries sounds nowhere near as charsismatic and entertaining on the mic on 205 live then when he was in NXT.

·
The Final Kid
3,397 Posts
Why would they turn heel when they didn't even showcase why they are a good babyface team? Then again, I just hate how turning everyone heel is the go-to solution for every failed face. Is it really that much asking for faces to be booked as such and not just losing geeks?

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
i refuse to give them another chance, they were spoken of as gods coming up from nxt. theyve been found out to be a poor imitation of the worlds greatest tag team

·
Team Narcisse
7,940 Posts
Very well put together OP. It was a pleasure to read. I couldn't possibly agree more. There's absolutely no reason why AA couldn't mean to this generation what the Steiners meant to theirs and they are my all time fav tag team so that tells you how high I am on these guys. Sadly, I fear that they might end up being part of the same learning curve that Bayley is also falling victim to. There has to be a line with these new developing stars in NXT where they have to realize it's not a good move to tell their entire story in developmental. These guys didn't need a flashy story. Just something basic and they made it work so well. They are world class athletes. Their ring work will always do the majortiy of their talking, but they do need something for the audience to invest in. Why were these guys stuck down there so long? Thank Fuck there was no NXT when Kurt Angle showed up. He would have been stuck there a few years as opposed to being allowed to develop faster than anyone in wrestling history.

With all that being said, I agree that this is a situation where a heel turn is the best route and I try to use that solution sparingly. Right now, only strongly advocating it in the cases of AA, Reigns, and Becky. A new cocky attitude backed up with their superior in ring work would possibly save this team that is certainly worth saving.

·
Registered
25,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Why would they turn heel when they didn't even showcase why they are a good babyface team? Then again, I just hate how turning everyone heel is the go-to solution for every failed face. Is it really that much asking for faces to be booked as such and not just losing geeks?
Let me ask you this, would The New Day be as successful today if they never turned heel? Would The Usos be one of the best things on Smackdown now if they hadn't turned heel? The answer is no. Hell, guys like Rock and Austin wouldn't have been as popular as they became if they hadn't been heels first. It

And not a good babyface team? I know you watch NXT, so you saw how popular they became as a tag team and how the fans wanted them to win the tag team titles. And that happened all through simple and effective storytelling.

And to be as successful as they can be on Smackdown, a new story needs to be told and a heel turn can accomplish that.

·
Registered
755 Posts
They should have gone with the "Varsity Club" idea what was going around last year. Have Ziggler as their mouthpiece and have him come out in wrestling attire as well, just to shake things up and move away from HBZiggler.

·
The Final Kid
3,397 Posts
And not a good babyface team? I know you watch NXT, so you saw how popular they became as a tag team and how the fans wanted them to win the tag team titles. And that happened all through simple and effective storytelling.
I'm not saying they're not a good babyface team because yes, I watched their story playing out on NXT and it was really good seeing them winning the titles because they had to earn such spot first.

But here's where the problem lies, everytime there's a call up, they just assume everyone watches NXT. There's why they rarely do a video package to introduce the talent (although they did that with Sasha and the rest of the group) and there's also another problem, lack of mic time.

Now I don't watch SmackDown, but when they were down in NXT they had a shit ton of backstage promos for character development, since they got drafted, said promos have been cut. Nobody is getting over if they don't have the chance to get their message across the audience.

·
Banned
6,218 Posts
I don't think AA will ever get over, it's true they are good wrestlers but they are very bland.

·
Registered
16,460 Posts
I don't know what WWE are going to do with American alpha now. I don't know i should be giving them more time, maybe WWE will use them right eventually or I'd be happy if they went back to NxT to continue having awesome matches and being likable again.

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
props to OP for giving that background info

Their main appeal in NXT was that they were putting on thrilling tag team matches, but the problem is on the main roster you need more.

I don't know what they can do other than to give AA more consistent time to build character and a tighter connection with the fans.

One thing I wouldn't mind seeing is a heel turn from one of them. I would say Jordan since he is the bigger guy. But in their case I would love to see Gable turn heel on Jordan. He is way better on the mic. And it will be different with the smaller guy becoming the aggressor while the heart broken bigger guy overcomes being betrayed by his best friend.

·
Banned
6,709 Posts
theyve been found out to be a poor imitation of the worlds greatest tag team
Now this is just pure ridiculousness at it's finest. They're easily one of the most well established face tag teams in the company. Remember now, they were in NXT first. Once again booking has pretty much failed them both. Gable is twice better than Haas and Shelton. Shelton was average on his own and his mic skills were mediocre at best. Don't even get me started on Haas, what a fucking jobber.

To think that Charlie and Shelton had the balls to go with the tag team name of The World's Greatest Tag Team just baffles me. Gable was drawing comparisons to Angle and that's telling me he has something. Honestly, Jason Jordan isn't bad either. I wonder if he can German Suplex Brock Lesnar? Keep them face definitely.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts