Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
alexa = greatest of all time!
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
rant

Hell in a Cell used to be the way a bitter feud had to end in wwe. the two hated each other so much they had to finish it once and for all in a final match where there is no escape. eg. HHH / HBK was building off and on for 2 years until the finish at Bad Blood. Orton and Undertaker feuded for most of the year until armageddon. The cell match was built around the rivalry.

now, the rivalry is built around the cell. There is a hell in a cell ppv so wwe has to rush a storyline in time for the event, and still try to make it as though the two of them hate each other enough to be willing to fight in a cell. The cell used to be a last resort and something both wrestlers were afraid of, now the wrestlers dont seem to fear the cell at all. it's just something they have to do every year.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
HIAC should've never been used after Taker vs Foley, nothing was gonna top that, it was only gonna do down after every match. If they are gonna use it then fucking use it for ending the feuds in brutal way. Only use it as last option.

·
My mom thinks I'm cool.
2,056 Posts
Yet the most famous one was thrown together at the last minute. :lol

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
HIAC should've never been used after Taker vs Foley, nothing was gonna top that, it was only gonna do down after every match. If they are gonna use it then fucking use it for ending the feuds in brutal way. Only use it as last option.
In hindsight those spots should have never happened , it led to high expectations not just for the HIAC matches, many bodies were destroyed trying to one up that match

·
Premium Member
11,970 Posts
Any themed PPV is a bad idea because it waters down the meaning of a gimmick. TLC, Elimination Chamber, HIAC, it's all the same.

Unfortunately, WWE have been using gimmicks to try and cover up for their lack of ability to tell a good story for a decade now.

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
I don't like themed PPV's in general because it takes what are supposed to be special types of matches used for specific moments, and makes them feel like just another match on just another show.

TLC, EC, HIAC, etc should all go imo. And MITB should be a WrestleMania or Summerslam-exclusive match as well imo.

·
Registered
554 Posts
It's perfectly fitting for today's WWE mindset. The more you do something, the less it is special and that's what happened with Hell in a Cell.

By trying to make more money with it, they by mistake led it to make less money than if they kept it for when it used to be special. In the last years, The Usos vs New Day or Orton vs Jeff Hardy actually weren't bad and I think they would've been way more enjoyable if they had been the only Hell in a Cell matches on the card

·
Registered
17,493 Posts
I disagree. Cactus vs Hunter in the Cell was phenomenal.

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
Shawn vs. Taker
Taker vs. Mankind
Cactus vs. Hunter
Taker vs. Brock
Hunter vs. Batista

Those are really the only HIAC matches that ever needed to happen. Maybe if the gimmick doesn’t get overused, you could go back to it with something for Cena and it would have drawn? Apart from that, hard pass.

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
I was actually fine with Sasha vs. Charlotte inside the cell. It made more sense then the other two on the card at least. What screwed it up was WWE's marketing of it, which was all wrong.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
It's a legacy gimmick from an era of blood, chair shots, and inferno matches. Honestly, it has no place in today's WWE environment and is contradictory to the company's values.

·
Rollin' under the melody, Rockin' over the beat
1,463 Posts
If WWE never did another HIAC match again I wouldn't miss it. Current WWE is too sterile for that type of match and it's become too watered down with yearly iterations to be meaningful.

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
Yeah that's another problem, the PG-era doesn't lend itself to this kind of match. The carnage and brutality is kind of part of the appeal, it's called HELL in a cell after all. And if you look at the ones now, compared to the older ones, they're been toned down way too much.

Even Brock vs. Taker 2, while not BAD per se, felt like a pale shadow of their first HIAC match back in the day.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts