Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
they practically happened at the same time which i loved two of my fav wrestlers dominating the wrestling scene and pissing the iwc off big time. but who was worse.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Re: whos reign of terror was worse? Double J or Triple H?

Jarrett's.

It was hard to really ever buy either of them as The Guy -- it felt kind of like each was just doing his best Ric Flair impression, instead of truly inhabiting a role that suited them -- but at least HHH was always credible as a top guy, owning the role of #1 heel at times when there was a dominant face (Austin in '99, Rock in '00, even Batista in '05) to balance him out. Double J can't say the same. Anytime he so much as sniffed the main event, it just screamed "VANITY PROJECT." Poor guy wanted to be a Flair, and didn't seem to realize that he wasn't even a Tully.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts

They were both pretty bad and influenced me to stop watching pro wrestling for several years but I've never really been able to get behind Jeff Jarret, just about everything he does makes me go "meh".

·
Registered
18,879 Posts

Oh shit, that's a tough one.

I'll go with JJ because I hated how his ended. TNA went the safe route with Sting instead of looking to the future with Joe.

Batista v HHH at Vengeance 05 is one of my all time favorite matches.

·
Registered
12,478 Posts

Holy crap, looking at Jarrett's reigns, he had some long ones.

1st - 203 days
2nd - 182 days
3rd - 347 days
4th - 38 days
5th - 110 days
6th - 126 days

Combined for 1006 days which is ranked 6th all time for the NWA title

·
Registered
10,508 Posts

This is a tough one.

On one hand, I could tolerate JJ's reign because they had the awesome X-Division on the undercard to keep me from blowing my head off during his reign of terror.

On the other hand, Triple H was already a credible main eventer, whereas Jarrett wasn't and he was desperately trying to be one by putting the belt on himself so much and keeping the belt for so long. In 2002, Jarrett was trying to be Stone Cold Steve Austin by attacking anyone with his Guitar, disrespecting authority, and beating up officials. By 2005, Jarrett was trying to be Ric Flair.

I'll go with Jarrett's as the worst. At least, we got a great stable out of Evolution and a new top dog in Batista by the end of Triple H's run.

·
Banned
2,322 Posts

Jarrett's all the way. He was never a main event caliber performer. He was a boring and overpushed mediocre performer. To me he lacked the charisma to really captivate me as a top heel. He made Del Rio look like The Rock he was that dull.
HHH's reign of terror in 2003-2005 was boring at times, especially in 2003, but at least I could buy him as a top caliber wrestler. And he did have that awesome feud with Batista in 2005.

·
Asuka
^Take this off
96,574 Posts

Well OBVIOUSLY it's Triple H because Jarrett wasn't in a major company. It's always worse where it matters, Triple H had (and has to this day) no business hogging that much spotlight in a company the size of WWE. Jarrett, who cares, really? He created a wrestling promotion to push himself, nobody gives a shit. If he hadn't been there, do you really think anybody else would've made a dent in the business? OF COURSE not.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts

The thing about HHH is that while he got the pushed to the moon treatment by management, at least he had the talent to back it up. Hate on HHH all you want, the guy is a good pro-wrestler (sports entertainer dammit :vince3). On the other hand, Jeff Jarret was a pretty average worker. JJ to me is the very definition of mid card talent meaning he can work but it's nothing fantastic or unique to watch

·
Registered
800 Posts

Jeff Jarrett had the right amount of combined in-ring talent, charisma, and mic skills to be an excellent secondary champion, and even a credible challenger for a "fighting champion" face to go through -- and not one bit more.

·
Premium Member
5,014 Posts

Triple H's reign of terror lead to some of the worst matches I have ever witnessed so he wins by default. Jarrett had no business putting the NWA title on himself but he was one of the few recognizable names to hold the title at the time so it was understandable. With Triple H's World Heavyweight title reign, they could have easily built the likes of Booker T, Chris Jericho, Kane, and RVD as top main eventers instead of wasting them in the upper-midcard spot because god forbid everyone and their mothers couldn't play second fiddle to Triple H and his reign.

·
Registered
10,508 Posts

With Triple H's World Heavyweight title reign, they could have easily built the likes of Booker T, Chris Jericho, Kane, and RVD as top main eventers instead of wasting them in the upper-midcard spot because god forbid everyone and their mothers couldn't play second fiddle to Triple H and his reign.
And they couldn't have with Jarrett's reign? They could've with Monty Brown who was one of their hottest wrestlers in early 2005 until Jarrett beat him at Final Resolution and they had him turn heel & join Jarrett's stable at Destination X. Monty was like a black Goldberg and they didn't capitalize on his popularity. Jarrett lost the belt to AJ at Hard Justice but he got so pissy and refused to compete in the King Of The Mountain match at Slammiversary when he found out Raven was winning the belt that night, not him. He took the belt off Raven at a house show few months later. He beat Rhino for the belt at Turning Point just one month after Rhino came off the best performance of his career and won the belt from him at Bound For Glory. And he won the belt back from Christian few months after losing it to him.

·
Registered
13,589 Posts

when wallstreet are questioning why a certain individual is getting booked so strong then that wins by default

60,006 Posts

Holy crap, looking at Jarrett's reigns, he had some long ones.

1st - 203 days
2nd - 182 days
3rd - 347 days
4th - 38 days
5th - 110 days
6th - 126 days

Combined for 1006 days which is ranked 6th all time for the NWA title
I lived it, but never really put an actual umber to it. i'll go with JJ just because I never thought he merited anything approaching that.

·
Asuka
^Take this off
96,574 Posts

And they couldn't have with Jarrett's reign? They could've with Monty Brown who was one of their hottest wrestlers in early 2005 until Jarrett beat him at Final Resolution and they had him turn heel & join Jarrett's stable at Destination X. Monty was like a black Goldberg and they didn't capitalize on his popularity. Jarrett lost the belt to AJ at Hard Justice but he was so pissy and refused to compete in the King Of The Moutain match at Slammiversary when he found out Raven was winning the belt that night, not him. He took the belt off Raven at a house show few months later. He beat Rhino for the belt at Turning Point just one month after Rhino came off the best night of his life and won the belt from him at Bound For Glory. And he won the belt back from Christian few months after losing it to him.
Thing is, though, no matter what Jarrett did or didn't do, it's still TNA. In the grand scheme of things, nothing in TNA's existence, good or bad has ever mattered . The only thing that even came CLOSE was the first match between Angle and Joe and the signing of Hulk Hogan, and even they amounted to nothing.

Triple H not putting over guys like RVD and Booker T in the WWE where global stardom and tons of money is on the line is much worse than Jarrett playing main eventer in a vanity Indy promotion.

·
Aggressively White
6,288 Posts

Thing is, though, no matter what Jarrett did or didn't do, it's still TNA. In the grand scheme of things, nothing in TNA's existence, good or bad has ever mattered . The only thing that even came CLOSE was the first match between Angle and Joe and the signing of Hulk Hogan, and even they amounted to nothing.

Triple H not putting over guys like RVD and Booker T in the WWE where global stardom and tons of money is on the line is much worse than Jarrett playing main eventer in a vanity Indy promotion.
It doesn't matter where the power plays happen. Main-eventers can be created in any backyard indy, never mind an international wrestling promotion. I remember you saying to me last year that you only ever watched TNA once, so I don't think you're in much of a position to appraise Jarrett's reign.

There was still money to be made in TNA some of the top guys like Joe and Styles were earning like $400,000 per year, which is more than a midcarder in the 'E will get especially considering travel commitments.

·
Banned
10,735 Posts

The worst Reign of Terror has been Vince and Cena's, as they destroyed the product throughout the so called PG era, and divided and pushed away many fans.

The number of people I know who don't watch anymore because they hate Cena, or have stopped watching due to Vince's obsession with holding down Bryan is a lot. And for me, the PG era has been the worst era of WWE since I became a fan in the eighties.

·
Banned
13,572 Posts

Jarretts for sure

1 - 20 of 39 Posts