Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all the time in the world, who would you build as Punk's long term WWE rival? And when I say rival, I mean for a "down the road and back" fued like Rock had with Austin or Taker had with Kane.

Obviously Jeff Hardy would be the ideal candidate but with him in TNA and 43575 strikes against him on the WWE wellness policy, I'll stay strictly with the current WWE roster and say Daniel Bryan.

Bryan can carry an angle, would put on a great match with Punk and is a face with some genuine personality. I know some people were talking about pairing Punk with Kingston but it seems like Kofi never shows us any personality. I think Kofi's great in the ring but he never makes me care about him except when he goes apeshit on someone like he did to Ziggler & Orton.

Kaval would also be a great candidate to face Punk because again, it opens up a series of possibly great matches and it seems like if Kaval reverts more towards the Warrior/respect part of his gimmick, then it would be a great contrast to Punk's heel tendancies.

Maybe WWE's face talent pool is just too try at the moment but these guys seem like the only options that spring to mind.

So yeah, in 10 years time when Punk has cemented a huge legacy, who do you think it should be with?

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Well, that depends. You can build a rivalry in terms of wrestling, who is the best of the two, prove you're the best, etc. then Danielson or Kaval are perfect ones.

But the rivalries you said were big rivalries because of the storylines and not because of the wrestling. Kane vs Taker best match is at WM XV and it's barely a 4 star match (IMO) but it was more a clash of characters, in terms that Kane was built as the only man who could take on the deadman and survive. Rock vs Austin was built as the two top guys in the company, trying to show who was truly the face of the company and why the other guy wasn't.

For Punk (a guy who's got a very strong gimmick in today's WWE) to have a big rivalry in the WWE, it should be a guy who clashes with his life-style (like you said, Jeff Hardy) but the WWE 's faces are all the fucking same, no character. At leaast Jeff Hardy had the "live for the moment" life-style, that clashed with Punk's one.

OK, the explanation is finished. My answer is: nobody. Until the faces get a some character, it's virtually impossible. I would only like a rivalry with Orton.

·
BLUE IS BACK
9,773 Posts
Well, that depends. You can build a rivalry in terms of wrestling, who is the best of the two, prove you're the best, etc. then Danielson or Kaval are perfect ones.

But the rivalries you said were big rivalries because of the storylines and not because of the wrestling. Kane vs Taker best match is at WM XV and it's barely a 4 star match (IMO) but it was more a clash of characters, in terms that Kane was built as the only man who could take on the deadman and survive. Rock vs Austin was built as the two top guys in the company, trying to show who was truly the face of the company and why the other guy wasn't.

For Punk (a guy who's got a very strong gimmick in today's WWE) to have a big rivalry in the WWE, it should be a guy who clashes with his life-style (like you said, Jeff Hardy) but the WWE 's faces are all the fucking same, no character. At leaast Jeff Hardy had the "live for the moment" life-style, that clashed with Punk's one.

OK, the explanation is finished. My answer is: nobody. Until the faces get a some character, it's virtually impossible. I would only like a rivalry with Orton.
... jeff hardy is obviously his enemy

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You mean that guy in TNA with who Punk can NOT feud with? Yeah, they have quite a rivalry...

I think he meant in today's WWE.
Correct
Obviously Jeff Hardy would be the ideal candidate but with him in TNA and 43575 strikes against him on the WWE wellness policy, I'll stay strictly with the current WWE roster and say Daniel Bryan.

·
Premium Member
4,072 Posts
I'm going to go with a different answer and say John Morrison. The two had some great matches in WWECW and although Morrison is a face and so can't really have any obvious flaws in front of the crowd, Punk could accuse him of leading the typical rock star lifestyle which he obviously hates. I think if they both stick around for a few years to come it could turn into a pretty big feud.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I'm going to go with a different answer and say John Morrison. The two had some great matches in WWECW and although Morrison is a face and so can't really have any obvious flaws in front of the crowd, Punk could accuse him of leading the typical rock star lifestyle which he obviously hates. I think if they both stick around for a few years to come it could turn into a pretty big feud.
I always enjoyed Morrison against Punk actually. More so than any of Morrisons other work.

I can see this.

·
Premium Member
6,817 Posts
A Punk/Bryan feud would be so nuts.

But honestly and I'll get some heat for saying this but Christian. At least for a good while, WWE needs to build up Bryan more. To a lot of WWE fans, he's pretty new. He is especially new to the "youngsters."

Imagine a Christian/Punk feud that ends in a Ladder Match for the IC belt.

·
Premium Member
4,216 Posts
I'd like him to to Have a long running feud with Bryan maybe having a match or two every few years like Austin/Rock or Taker/Kane.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Anyone else watched his matches in ROH and thought him and Danielson didn't have a very good chemistry? Because with the washed-up WWE style, it can really hurt a match between those 2.

·
RIP Fredo
3,105 Posts
A Punk/Bryan feud would be so nuts.

But honestly and I'll get some heat for saying this but Christian. At least for a good while, WWE needs to build up Bryan more. To a lot of WWE fans, he's pretty new. He is especially new to the "youngsters."

Imagine a Christian/Punk feud that ends in a Ladder Match for the IC belt.
Better yet, how about the World Championship

·
also known as a BUSTER
11,967 Posts
A Punk/Bryan feud would be beyond words.
Anyone else watched his matches in ROH and thought him and Danielson didn't have a very good chemistry? Because with the washed-up WWE style, it can really hurt a match between those 2.
No chemistry whatsoever. Same with Nigel and Joe.

On topic: Punk vs. 'Sex & Violence' Edge is the obvious character clash to me.

·
Banned
38 Posts
Ideally speaking, I always wanted Punk's biggest feud to be with The Undertaker. You know, back in 1996 it would have been an absolute dream to see a guy like Raven tanlge with The Undertaker. And for a while, it looked like Punk's cult leader gimmick could possibly be better than Raven's Nest. And so I thought that this demented, David-Koresh of wrestling could really have a brilliant war with The Undertaker. They're both extremely dark characters, both are amazing talkers, both are brilliant in the ring.
But no, it never happened. Punk got squashed in their feud because of PRIVATE COMMENTS HE MADE ABOUT THE COMPANY DRESS CODE and now the SES has lost Serena, whose induction was the most chilling moment in wrestling for years.

Punk comes across as being legitimately evil, a very malevolent figure. So his rival needs to be the complete antithesis of this. Yeah, it's gotta be Daniel Bryan. Bryan has been shown to lead a healthy life, so we could lose a lot of repitition about him not being Straight Edge. It could simply be built on a mutual dislike and escalate into a full blown war.
Not just a feud, a war. Like Dreamer/Raven, Undertaker/Mankind, Hogan/Sting.
Daniel Bryan seems like an easygoing, decent man. But he's a loose cannon also but has that strange edge that makes world champions. Put simply, he is a man the fans can root for.

These two should consistently interfere in each others matches and have those wild, backstage brawls that make wrestling so fucking brilliant. Like all good feuds, they should drag in other people from time to time. Like Michael Cole, who I think can be an absolutely AMAZING heel. But the focus should always be on escalating the war between these two, even on the internet, so people never know what's going to happen next. They can make the feud so wild that it throws both shows into disarray because different people are using it to make a name for themselves.

Daniel Bryan is the only guy with the raw talent and speaking ability to match wits with Punk. Plus, and most importantly, his character is compatible. So they can go places with it, rather than having Bryan drone on and on about Hell and eternal damnation and how Punk is a liar (Completely missing the point of the character) which is the mistake they made with The Undertaker.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Jeff Hardy is Punk's #1 enemy. He'll be back in WWE, they have un-finished business.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
There's 3 choices imo:
1.Morrison, b/c he and Punk have great chemistry and always seem to be on opposite sides of the face/heel spectrum, plus they had a pretty good feud(besides the fact that they had lie 300 matches),
2.Orton, he punted Punk in the head and cost him his first title and Punk never really got revenge. The only problem is that orton has this more with HHH or Cena.
3. A new guy, a guy who has chemistry with Punk and is very talented, a Kofi Kingston, Daniel Bryan, etc.

·
Premium Member
2,271 Posts
A Punk Bryan feud would be cool. Bryan could come off as the guy who thinks he's better at straight edge than CM Punk is.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
CM Punk vs Tyler Black

After the SES disbands Punk brings in Black as his new student of sorts. Have Punk mentor him for a few months, and have things get heated between the two. example: Black loses a a few matches and Punk gets mad because his student shouldnt be losing at all, his student should be perfect. Punk should feel like hes taking his teachings for granted and ditch him during a tag match or something. Black could get fed up with it and attack Punk. leading to a fued spanning afew months. after it dies down, have them both going after the Intercontinental title and just start going at it again because of all the hate they feel towards each other.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts