Wrestling Forum banner

Who was the face of the company in 2002?

2670 Views 12 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  VZX
Pretty easier to figure out who's been the face of the company in the last 5 years or so, everyone knows who the face of the company was during the AE, during the 80s boom etc.
But who was the face in the transitional year do you think, in 02.

Ausitn - Walked out halfway through.
Rock - Was there half the time.
Angle - Never really on the posters.
Trips - Attempted run as 'the man' didn't work out.
Hogan - Was there a while, I never really thought of him as the face in the company at that time, more as the veteran in the bakcground.
Lesnar - Came in a few months into the year, wasn't on posters untill the end of the summer.
Undertaker - Could argue, but similar to Hogan.

Overall for this tricky little year i'd have to say Lesnar, as there is no standout face of the company.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· The human torch was denied a bank loan.
7,897 Posts
They didn't have any because they had so many big names and they heavily pushed Lesnar, and hotshotted the Undisputed belt around. Rock and Austin left mid way. Hulk Hogan was perhaps the face of the company, he was involved in the biggest match at 'Mania, won the Undisputed Title, won the tag titles, faced Angle, but he went on a hiatus for a while. Just due to him being around the entire year and being involved in important programs I'd give the nod to The Undertaker.

· Registered
387 Posts
I don't really think there was a definite face of the company that year. I've noticed that a few of those years there has been no face. Cena stepped into the spotlight completely around 2006. From 02-05 there really was no face of the company, in my opinion. But in 2002, i'd give the spot to Hogan or Triple H.

· Banned
9,415 Posts
There were a lot of established big names around at the time and Lesnar was getting heavily pushed to the main event, but I'm going to agree with Jethro and say Undertaker, Triple H being a close second. I'm not really considering Angle because he was in some mid-card feuds during the year and Rock, Austin and Hogan left.

· Registered
188 Posts
Even though The Rock was not there half the time, I say he still was the Face of the Company, Brock was probably the face the very next year, and Triple H obviously was during Evolution

· Registered
188 Posts
But I think 02 was the year that WWE had its best Roster, The Rock, Stone Cold, Brock Lesnar, Triple H, Undertaker, Kurt Angle, Hulk Hogan

· Registered
4,024 Posts
I think that The Rock was the face of the company, he was part of the biggest moments that year (his WM18 match with Hogan and SS vs Lesnar) I would say Undertaker but I feel like Rock was still positioned as the top guy in the company in '02.

· Registered
7,589 Posts
Despite only being there for half of the year i would have to say that The Rock was the face of the company in 2002 as he was the biggest star in the company once Stone Cold Steve Austin had walked out. The fact that the WWE title match at King of the Ring in 2002 was more about The Rock returning to watch the match than the feud between Triple H and The Undertaker i would say add's to that argument and also the fact that Vince McMahon using The Rock to push Brock Lesnar quickly due to The Rock not being around all the time and him not knowing if Stone Cold Steve Austin would ever return tell's me that The Rock was still the main man in Vince McMahon's eyes.

Of course 2002 was a great year for The Undertaker and Triple H as well but neither man has ever been the main man at any time in WWE really except for maybe the year in between WrestleMania 20 and WrestleMania 21 when WWE lost Brock Lesnar and Goldberg but John Cena and Batista both came through to fill those gaps. For match quality it would be hard to look past Triple H because of his matches with Kurt Angle, Chris Jericho, The Undertaker and Shawn Michaels but his push as top face didn't work because he was never seen as bigger than The Rock or Stone Cold Steve Austin.

· Banned
297 Posts
Despite only being there for half of the year i would have to say that The Rock was the face of the company in 2002 as he was the biggest star in the company once Stone Cold Steve Austin had walked out. The fact that the WWE title match at King of the Ring in 2002 was more about The Rock returning to watch the match than the feud between Triple H and The Undertaker i would say add's to that argument and also the fact that Vince McMahon using The Rock to push Brock Lesnar quickly due to The Rock not being around all the time and him not knowing if Stone Cold Steve Austin would ever return tell's me that The Rock was still the main man in Vince McMahon's eyes.

Of course 2002 was a great year for The Undertaker and Triple H as well but neither man has ever been the main man at any time in WWE really except for maybe the year in between WrestleMania 20 and WrestleMania 21 when WWE lost Brock Lesnar and Goldberg but John Cena and Batista both came through to fill those gaps. For match quality it would be hard to look past Triple H because of his matches with Kurt Angle, Chris Jericho, The Undertaker and Shawn Michaels but his push as top face didn't work because he was never seen as bigger than The Rock or Stone Cold Steve Austin.
This.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.