Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a toss up for me, and don't even try to pretend there was someone else who came even remotely close.
I love both Austin and Lesnar, but the former was a little too amped up for my taste, the latter wasn't articulate enough.
And when the What shit came about, you realized the golden days of Steve Austin were behind him, cause it sucked donkey balls.

Inviato dal mio ASUS_X00PD utilizzando Tapatalk

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

These two promos in particular are just..pro rasslin perfection man, i get chills everytime.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
I never really found The Undertaker very cool. The deadman stuff made him an easy target in the Attitude Era. The likes of Rock and Jericho could run rings round him verbally.

In fact if you are talking about 'cool' wrestlers then I would say Rock from 98-99

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Neither of those 2.

The early era (90-94) Taker easily over either of those. Why do you think he was able to become a face so fast? People really dug that "lone wolf" thing Undertaker was where he kept to himself, but continued to beat ass

ABA was just a fat biker
Ministry Taker was just a shell of himself and his character was very limited with a short shelf life

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ABA was just a fat biker
Well yeah. But that's still better than an underwear model. "Oh the Demon King, the Prince has arrived" fuck off, there's only one Prince Of Darkness, and Demon From Death Valley.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
For group or faction,I pick his Ministry gimmick but when he run as solo act,Big Evil look cool for me even it was just a brief(late 2001 until summer 2002), he totally nailed his bully persona who demand respect to anybody.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Out of the 2 that you mentioned, I preferred Big Evil Taker but I liked Biker Taker who came out to "Rollin'" by Limp Bizkit even more.

·
Currently booking tonight’s card...
2,230 Posts
As far as Taker goes, if I just answer which of his personas was my favorite, I’d really say 1991-1997 is the best. His entrance through 97 gave me chills at times back then... still today I can look at them and understand why they did...

I also loved the way ‘early’ Taker worked... He was slow and precise, almost stalking around the ring... then he’d EXPLODE off the ropes with that electric flying clothesline... that shit was good!

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
In retrospect I feel the DOA gimmick was poorly handled. All four of them were tight with Taker and were pretty talented in their own right. Taker with those four bad asses could have taken the American Bad ass gimmick to another level. Too bad that WWE dropped the ball with Brian Lee and Brian Adams. Brian Lee in particular was just as talented as Taker in the ring.

Coming back to your point Taker was always cool. Ministry gimmick didn't have longevity because the members of the group were not real threats. Should have stayed with Taker and three to four guys. The expansion killed it.

American bad ass was kind of a weak point in Taker's career despite offering us with some memorable angles.

Bottom line- I choose incarnations of from Taker 1990-98 as the best part of his career. Aside from his two matches with HBK, rest of his career doesn't hold a candle to the character work that he did during that period in the 90s.

I have always liked tough brawlers like Brody and Taker because their stuff looked believable in the ring and ring IQ was at a very high level too.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Austin in 96-99 and Rock from 98-2000 were miles cooler. They both showed up for the Emmy Awards in 1999 and didn't look out of place or goofy at all. I think Big Evil Taker had the frat boy fans on his side for a bit but not close enough to rival the others.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Austin in 96-99
What happened after that?
Oh that's right, What?
Nah i, to be honest, i don't remember when the What thing started, that's not exactly a fond memory of mine.
BTW the thread title is purposely an hyerbole to state my opinion, i know most people have Austin over Taker and i can understand why, plus the fact Taker did a lot of mundaine shit during his run, where as Austin had more of an immaculate body of work, minus the What shit.

·
Registered
156 Posts
What happened after that?
Oh that's right, What?
Nah i, to be honest, i don't remember when the What thing started, that's not exactly a fond memory of mine.
BTW the thread title is purposely an hyerbole to state my opinion, i know most people have Austin over Taker and i can understand why, plus the fact Taker did a lot of mundaine shit during his run, where as Austin had more of an immaculate body of work, minus the What shit.

I actually liked the WHAT gimmick when he used it as the Alliance heel in 01. Seeing him get in people's faces and cut them off before they answered his rhetorical question was hilarious. It got old by 2002 though, made his promos really one-note and he was rambling on about nothing pretty often. Still, the guy sold truckloads of t-shirts with that catchphrase, so if it was cool enough for the casual fans then it's not the worst thing that he could have come up with.

I'm struggling to think of anything that Taker did that surpasses Austin's cool factor in his prime though. He had that window when he returned in 2000 with the Kid Rock and later Limp Bizkit stuff but after that it was hot and cold for me.

·
Registered
663 Posts
In terms of any wrestler, that's highly subjective.

But I loved Ministry Undertaker... I just wished they hadn't gone the Corporate Ministry route.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts