Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shawn Micheals mentioned a few months back that after Wrestlemania 25 he knew he would hang up his boots after Wrestlemania 26.We all know that Undertaker retired Shawn Michaels at Wrestlemania 26. But before Bret Hart returned to the WWE on Jan 4 2010, Undertaker looked destined to feud with Vince Mcmahon who was hell bent on screwing The Dead Man during his feud with CM Punk after Summerslam. The Undertaker- Vince Mcmahon feud would have likely culminated at Wrestlemania 26 with the Chairman of the board trying to end the Dead Man's undefeated streak.
I believe this would have happened if Bret Hart wouldn't have returned to the WWE. Which begs the question that who was Shawn Michaels supposed to face in his last match at Wrestlemania 26 before a last minute decision was made for rematch with The Undertaker?

·
Registered
7,523 Posts
i remember hearing at the end of 2008 on a episode of Whos Slamming Who that Shawn would be calling it quits after 26 but no opponent was mentioned.

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
Actually, I remember this time period pretty well. Roughly, immediately after Wrestlemania 25 a report appeared on NoDQ saying that HBK has already decided when he would retire, but wouldn't say when. The report said that only HBK and WWE knew when he was going to retire.

In my opinion it was pretty much always set in stone that he was going to retire at WM26. Considering how early the storyline was established, around the slammy's in November (or early Decemeber) I think the plan was always HBK vs Undertaker II.

The only other possible match rumblings I even heard of was a possible HBK vs HHH match at Wrestlemania. I don't even remember the time period I heard it, but I'm thinking it was after WM25.

As as I'm concerned though, the plan was always HBK/Undertaker II, because of how successful the first one was.

·
Premium Member
5,415 Posts
Vince was never really part of the Undertaker/CM Punk feud (Punk and Vince only had like one segment together) and I don't think Undertaker and Vince were ever set to feud for Wrestlemania 26. I believe it was always planned for Undertaker to end his career.

·
Registered
7,648 Posts
Last minute decision? HBK challenged the Undertaker at the Slammys, which was at December. And it was an amazing storyline all the way to Wrestlemania (especially HBK's emotional Royal Rumble appearance). I'm glad he didn't fight anyone else.

Merely speculating, the only other suitable opponent for Michaels would have been Triple H. But I'm sure everyone knows that.

·
Banned
4,704 Posts
Vince was never really part of the Undertaker/CM Punk feud (Punk and Vince only had like one segment together) and I don't think Undertaker and Vince were ever set to feud for Wrestlemania 26. I believe it was always planned for Undertaker to end his career.
Actually Teddy Long was on probation during that time because Mr. McMahon was unhappy with him as GM and Vince wanted Teddy to make changes. During that time the screwjob at Breaking Point took place. I believe that they wanted to start a feud between Vince and Taker because of the screwjobs at Survivor Series 1997 and Breaking Point but they changed the plans for some reason

·
#1 A**hole
1,390 Posts
The only other person who would have been seen fit to do this would have been Triple H. Although the perfect guy did it.

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
It was going to have to be HHH, nobody else would have been remotely fitting.

·
Banned
18,555 Posts
The original plans for WM were going to be Shawn Michaels Vs. Triple H and Vince McMahon Vs. Undertaker. I think this was going to be Vince's way of writing off his character, but then Bret Hart took Undertaker's place as they came to an agreement.

There was talk of John Cena Vs. Undertaker since The Rock declined Cena's challenge for the event.

Then Undertaker Vs. Chris Jericho was pitched, but then Edge was able to come back so it was going to be Edge Vs. Chris Jericho, but not for the title. Sheamus Vs. Triple H was also supposed to be for the WWE Championship, but the title was dropped because Sheamus wasn't over.

I hated how HBK retired the way he did. The Undertaker didn't need it at all. The rub from ending Shawn Michaels' career could've greatly benefitted John Morrison or CM Punk instead.

- Vic

1 - 15 of 15 Posts