Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think Mick was a little more over back then, but Triple H was used more prominently. He was the best long term heel they had not named Vince McMahon. Triple H main evened 14 ppv's during this time compared to Mick's 8.

Mick claims his biggest contribution to WWE was as Commissioner Foley, but I don't agree. I don't think people in the general manager type role make a big difference unless they have real authority (like Vince McMahon).

Mick was more over, but Triple H had a more important role so I choose him.

·
Registered
27,432 Posts
Foley.

And that's not to knock Triple H. From about mid 99 to the end of the AE, Triple H played the role of top heel on the show very well and delivered in big match situations.

But Foley was just so valuable. When the New Age Outlaws needed someone to help get them over to the next level, Foley stepped up. When Austin needed an opponent after Mania 14, Foley stepped in. When Foley was put into the 2nd HIAC spot, he put his body on the line to create a legendary moment. When Rock needed someone to face in the main event scene before Austin, Foley stepped up in a major way and elevated The Rock's game. When Triple H needed that last push to get him over as a main eventer, Foley stepped up. And lastly, when the show needed something new for the authority figure, Foley did amazing in that spot.

·
Banned
362 Posts
From about mid 99 to the end of the AE, Triple H played the role of top heel on the show very well
Triple H was never the top heel during the attitude era, stop pushing that narrative. the top heel of the Attitude era start to finish 1997-2002 was Mr. Mcmahon/Vince Mcmahon.

Then there were others who got more heat and were bigger heels than Triple H during Triple H's own peak, like Stephanie Mcmahon and Kurt Angle. the latter of which fans turned Triple H face for.

Even when Vince twice in 1999 and 2000, it was Stephanie and Kurt Angle getting the heat.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I'm going with Triple H. During the first half or so of the attitude era, he took the reigns of what became one of the most iconic stables in WWE history. If you actually watch full episodes of Raw from spring/summer 1998, it's incredible how prominent of a role DX had. In many episodes, they had more airtime than anybody and they often had the longest matches on Raw (not saying much in that era, but still).

In the second half of the attitude era, he was the top heel. Sure Mr. McMahon was more hated and a better heel than maybe anyone ever, but it was Hunter that could actually get in the ring and have classic matches with the likes of Austin, Rock, Foley, etc. Being a heel during this time period was so important because most guys on the roster were getting face pops or were heels that didn't work as well as planned, like The Big Show and Big Bossman.

·
Banned
362 Posts
I'm going with Triple H. During the first half or so of the attitude era, he took the reigns of what became one of the most iconic stables in WWE history.
Yet each single member of the group was more over than Triple H.

In the second half of the attitude era, he was the top heel.
Triple H was never ever the top heel during the Attitude era, that's Vince Mcmahon.

Mr.Mcmahon, Stephanie Mcmahon and Kurt Angle were bigger heels than Triple H during the Attitude era.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Yet each single member of the group was more over than Triple H.
That's simply not true. I can understand the argument that New Age Outlaws were more over as a tag team, but neither wrestler fared anywhere near as good as Triple H as a singles competitor. And this is coming from a big fan of Billy Gunn.

And don't even get me started on X-Pac.

Triple H was never ever the top heel during the Attitude era, that's Vince Mcmahon.

Mr.Mcmahon, Stephanie Mcmahon and Kurt Angle were bigger heels than Triple H during the Attitude era.
Triple H was already positioned as the top heel when Kurt Angle made his debut.

And yes the McMahons were better heels...Vince is probably the best villain ever in pro wrestling. But that doesn't extent to in-ring competition, and Triple H bridged that gap as well as anyone could have at that time.

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
Foley for sure. Triple HGH was not a valuable performer in any era much less WWE's most successful one (which btw Triple HGH had nothing to do with).

·
Banned
362 Posts
That's simply not true. I can understand the argument that New Age Outlaws were more over as a tag team, but neither wrestler fared anywhere near as good as Triple H as a singles competitor. And this is coming from a big fan of Billy Gunn.

And don't even get me started on X-Pac.
Every single member was more over than Triple H from 1997-1999 in both incarnations of DX, even X-Pac, this is before X-Pac heat, when he was hot from 98-99.

Triple H was already positioned as the top heel when Kurt Angle made his debut.

And yes the McMahons were better heels...Vince is probably the best villain ever in pro wrestling. But that doesn't extent to in-ring competition, and Triple H bridged that gap as well as anyone could have at that time.
The only time Triple H was a heel without Mcmahon's and Angle over him was August-November 1999 and he shit the bed royally.

Stephanie Mcmahon turned heel and became top heel, while Kurt Angle was starting to rival Triple H in heat at the very start of 2000, then Mr. Mcmahon came back and was the top heel.

A few months in and Kurt Angle was getting more heat than Triple H, it was official after Backlash and KOTR once the Game Over heat was done.

So for the entire year of 2000, Triple H was never the top heel, before June 2000 it was Stephanie and Vince, and from June and on it was Kurt Angle.

Triple H wasn't the top heel of 2000 nor was he the top heel of the Attitude era, go back and watch shows.

·
Banned
362 Posts
Oh and yes Road Dogg and Mr. Ass/Billy Gunn were more over than Triple H as single's competitors, and this is while they were in the hardcore and intercontinental title picture which Triple H had some world title matches in the end of 1998 and beginning of 1999

·
Registered
462 Posts
Every single member was more over than Triple H from 1997-1999 in both incarnations of DX, even X-Pac, this is before X-Pac heat, when he was hot from 98-99.
I was talking about after Triple H took the reigns of DX. Obviously if you want to go all the way back to 1997, Shawn was far and away the most over person in DX and the New Age Outlaws were just getting started. Don't forget that Billy Gunn was stuck in the Rockabilly storyline with The Honky Tonk Man for quite awhile.

X-Pac was never more over than HHH. Getting a huge pop in Albany, NY because he had been in WCW for the past two years and talked a bunch of shit about Hogan doesn't count. Everybody considers Billy Gunn's big push as Mr. Ass in the summer of 1999 to be one of the biggest flops of the attitude era. And Road Dogg never amounted to much as a singles competitor.

The only time Triple H was a heel without Mcmahon's and Angle over him was August-November 1999 and he shit the bed royally.

Stephanie Mcmahon turned heel and became top heel, while Kurt Angle was starting to rival Triple H in heat at the very start of 2000, then Mr. Mcmahon came back and was the top heel.

A few months in and Kurt Angle was getting more heat than Triple H, it was official after Backlash and KOTR once the Game Over heat was done.

So for the entire year of 2000, Triple H was never the top heel, before June 2000 it was Stephanie and Vince, and from June and on it was Kurt Angle.

Triple H wasn't the top heel of 2000 nor was he the top heel of the Attitude era, go back and watch shows.
How did HHH shit the bed royally in the summer of 1999? Dude was getting big time heat from the crowds who were obviously in love with Stone Cold and The Rock. He was getting the biggest "asshole" chants of any wrestler at that time and was getting big time heat every time he came to the ring.

Sounds like maybe you need to re-watch some things.

·
Banned
362 Posts
X-Pac was never more over than HHH.
Yes he was, Triple H in 1998-1999 pre-Game was never more over than X-Pac.

Getting a huge pop in Albany, NY because he had been in WCW for the past two years and talked a bunch of shit about Hogan doesn't count.
Of course it doesn't, because he was getting consistent pops throughout the year.

From WM 14-WM 15 X Pac was more over than Triple H.

Shane/X-Pac was a bigger match than Triple H/Kane.

We're not talking 2001 X-Pac here.

Everybody considers Billy Gunn's big push as Mr. Ass in the summer of 1999 to be one of the biggest flops of the attitude era. And Road Dogg never amounted to much as a singles competitor.
I'm not talking about Summer of 1999 when DX was split.

I'm talking winter of 1998-1999. when DX was still together and had their own solo feuds, Billy Gunn and Road Dogg were dabbling in Hardcore and Intercontinental title scenes while Triple H was feuding with Corporation yet Road Dogg and Billy Gunn were more over than Triple H.

Chyna was more over than Triple H his entire career.

While X Pac, Road Dogg and Billy Gunn were more over than Triple H from WM 14-WM 15.

Rewatch the shows

·
Registered
462 Posts
Yes he was, Triple H in 1998-1999 pre-Game was never more over than X-Pac.

Of course it doesn't, because he was getting consistent pops throughout the year.

From WM 14-WM 15 X Pac was more over than Triple H.

Shane/X-Pac was a bigger match than Triple H/Kane.

We're not talking 2001 X-Pac here.
I haven't seen anything besides his return that night after WrestleMania to suggest he was more over or more prominent than HHH. I didn't mean to imply it was anything close to 2001 X-Pac. Just saying he was the least big deal in the HHH-led version of DX, including Chyna. And that's not a bad thing when you're dealing with such a popular stable.

I'm not talking about Summer of 1999 when DX was split.

I'm talking winter of 1998-1999. when DX was still together and had their own solo feuds, Billy Gunn and Road Dogg were dabbling in Hardcore and Intercontinental title scenes while Triple H was feuding with Corporation yet Road Dogg and Billy Gunn were more over than Triple H.

Chyna was more over than Triple H his entire career.

While X Pac, Road Dogg and Billy Gunn were more over than Triple H from WM 14-WM 15.

Rewatch the shows.
They were dabbling in midcard title feuds largely because HHH had graduated from that scene and was starting his ascent to the top of the card. I'll admit that Road Dogg and Billy Gunn were getting better crowd reactions during that time. But that's still because of the New Age Outlaws' entrance was probably the biggest sing-along in the history of wrestling. Once they got away from that, neither kept anywhere near the same amount of love with the crowd.

And funny that you're telling me to re-watch the shows after ignoring half of my last ppst.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Anyone who thinks the other members were more over I don't take seriously. It's like saying Scotty Too Hotty was more over. True but no one cares. The other members were c players on their best day. Little potential to sniff the main event and when given the opportunity were laughed out the building.

HHH was one of the best villains of all time in 00. Everything people criticize him for is what made him so great. A heel should be manufactured and a bit undeserved. They should be less entertaining than the face. They're not suppose to be cheered. All that being said Foley wins this one. He's just harder to replace than HHH, his run was when WWF and WCW were still in stiff competition. He elevated Rock in as a rival and friend, gave legitimacy to HHH, had a hand in Kane.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Foley easily. He could carry his own weight and all the gimmicks he played became a part of pop culture. HHH never had anything marketable about him besides DX which of course had a lot of other helping hands, and hell even DX wasn’t all that marketable when you take away the crotch chops and “suck it”.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Mick Foley...but for reasons that are overlooked.

1) Steve Austin's first opponent after winning the title at WM 14. Yeah, McMahon was the top heel, but he was on the sidelines most of the time. Foley put on 2 PPV classics with Austin as Dude Love.

2) Provided arguably the most iconic moment from the Attitude Era with the bumps off the Hell in the Cell at KOTR 1998.

3) Programmed with The Rock when he made it to the Main Event scene and was over enough to where he was given the title twice in their feud. Their matches helped bring out the best in Rock as he ascended to meet Steve Austin on the highest level in wrestling.

4) Helped elevate Triple H to where he could be taken seriously when the company needed a second solid top star to feud with Rock as Austin was gone. If HHH doesn't feud with Foley, he may never have reached the next level.

5) Comissioner Foley provided solid entertainment in the middle of 2000 which helped the product from becoming dull due to the long Rock/HHH feud. There were a lot of good moments in 2000 and Rock at the top of the card was great. However, Foley stirring the pot helped immensely and kept midcard acts stay good until Austin got back in the mix.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts