Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Young winger learning from greats such as Downing
9,856 Posts
McIntyre has been playing a forced character ever since entering WWE. Watch his indy work and you'll see that he's not the drone WWE has made him out to be largely up to this point

·
DELIRIUM
4,544 Posts
To answer your question, some guy who hates McIntyre, bitched about him and everybody seemed to follow. Could have been Pyro, maybe not.

Anyway, I've always thought McIntyre had a personality.

·
Thank You Randy Savage.
3,773 Posts
The problem is, wrestlers have to portray the characters they are told to by creative. Drew when he first started came across as trying way too hard and the crowd picked that up and didn't care. Lately though with his slight tweak in character it fits him alot better and hopefully the crowd start to give him some sort of reaction.

I much preferred it when wrestlers had some control over what character to portray, as most wrestlers do better doing a cartoonish version of their actual personality.

·
Registered
139 Posts
i marked when he debuted and his little fued with r-truth was good but after that he was just... flat, i went from really likign him to being bored as shit by him but i think he may have just grown more comfortable with where he is and as a result his work has improved

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
OP, most people won't change their mind about drew, i agree he did show personality and the guy actually can be charasmatic(watch indy work), but it probably won't matter if he becomes the most charasmatic superstar in existence(he won't, just saying), people on here will continue to dislike him, some people just refuse to admit or acknowledge when Superstar X actually does something opposite of what they are used to... I loathed the miz up to a year ago, but i just put my blind hate for the guy aside and watched his earlier work compared to recent work and even i had to admit the guy has improved as an in ring performer. The majority of people will probably come onto this thread, bash drew for being a "charasmatic blackhole" etc, not realising that it's mostly his character that limits him, not his ability to be charasmatic

·
Really?
184 Posts
I'm not sure it's so much that he has no personality, it's that creative haven't given him one. He seems VERY limited with his character, and that's why people don't care about him at the moment, because he hasn't really done anything or said anything memorable. I like his in-ring ability and think he has huge potential but because of his character and the way he has been booked, the guy just kinda puts me to sleep.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
His character is just kinda hard to get into at first, he got hand-picked by Vince McMahon himself and claims to be the chosen one, and like Sheamus his push seems rushed and forced down our throats, but he's grown on me ever since his feud with Teddy Long and Matt Hardy, he shows that he's capable of playing a great heel, since then i like him a lot and he becomes one of my favorites. I think Drew has always shown his personality, he used to be in full 'sinister mode', his mannerism has always been spot on and fitting with his character inside and outside the ring, he always enjoys hurting people and use a lot of innovative ways to do it, some people might find it boring but i don't, i enjoy it, and i like how he tweaks his character a bit, now he seems more relaxed and starts playing to the crowds more, he also shows his sensitive side more (hitting on Kelly), he could easily transform into a badass babyface someday, but i'd prefer if he remains as a heel for a long time, his "Chosen One" gimmick will do great in big angles, i hope they would focus on it again in the future when Vince returns on tv.

·
WEF's #1 Oz Mark
11,119 Posts
At first, I have to admit that I thought he was really boring... But he's improved a lot, I think, and I wouldn't mind seeing him in a Main Event feud.

·
SWAG/SPICE
26,780 Posts
Drew is very sadistic in the ring he would be a deadly champion. This whole mixed persona is really interesting. Still waiting to see how kelly kelly will be involved in this.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
To answer your question, some guy who hates McIntyre, bitched about him and everybody seemed to follow. Could have been Pyro, maybe not.

Anyway, I've always thought McIntyre had a personality.
Please , i have my own opinion, and i disagree with him most of the time ,

Drew MC , was forced to us , i gave him a shot, he bores me, his wrestling is below average at best . His indy work while not bad i dont like it.

and oh yeah did i forgot to mention he doesnt ''Draw'' .

the only thing that has personality is his theme music, but the credits go to the band not him .

·
The Man
15,234 Posts
I admit Drew is doing better then when he first debuted.

That being said, he's still pretty pretty boring and bland, imo.

Anyway, I thought for sure this thread was going to be about Drew's completely overrated and overplayed shower promo....

·
Premium Member
4,757 Posts
When Mcintyre first came to the WWE I thought he had huge potential, being the "Chosen One" I thought they were going to push him fast, much like they did Sheamus. Unfortunately his character quickly became irrelevant and has sort of been directionless for a while, but it looks like this is going to change because of the angle with Kelly Kelly, hopefully we get see some the potential this guy has.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I've never had a problem with Drew and eventually I became a huge mark of his to be honest lol. I see nothing but good things in his future if he keeps it up and is allowed to show some more personality like that.

·
Banned
1,189 Posts
McIntyre has been playing a forced character ever since entering WWE. Watch his indy work and you'll see that he's not the drone WWE has made him out to be largely up to this point
So what if he's playing a prescribed character? So do most people and yet they make a better job of it than Drew does. Wade Barrett spent his indie and OVW career with a persona that was nothing like his current one ('twas essentially generic heel with the arrogance turned up to 11) and yet he plays Wade Barrett with the same conviction as "The Pinnacle" Stu Sanders. Another example is how near damn every successful wrestler has portrayed multiple different characters with great success. If he can't play a character other than "the world's biggest party animal" then he should fucking well learn how to.

·
Premium Member
6,817 Posts
A few points :

1. Most every heel in the WWE is attempting their own version of the "aggressively cocky" heel. So the idea is just as vanilla as the last guy to do it.

2. McIntyre's Character has been a forced character that doesn't much resemble his personality, so it's even harder for him to act as if he's that way.

·
Banned
1,189 Posts
A few points :

1. Most every heel in the WWE is attempting their own version of the "aggressively cocky" heel. So the idea is just as vanilla as the last guy to do it.
Then he should make it his own. Throw in something that makes him different. He can't control the words he's given, but he can do other things that make his character stand out.

2. McIntyre's Character has been a forced character that doesn't much resemble his personality, so it's even harder for him to act as if he's that way.
So because it's not like him he can't play the character well? Then please explain how Kane never seemed to find a problem when he was playing Unabomb, Isaac Yankem DDS or Kane? Or how John Tenta put his damndest into every stupid gimmick he was given. All characters are forced to a degree, and most of them don't resemble their personality at all.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts