Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey people,
I was browsing through my old stuff the other evening when I came across a DVD I had made, it was a copy of Over the Edge 1999, the event when Owen Hart tragically lost his life.
I remember this event like it was yesterday! Do any of you lot remember this event and where were you at the time!! It will be something I will always remember!

R.I.P OWEN HART, YOU WERE NOT A NUGGET!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Yeah, I remember where I was. I was watching Over the Edge 1999. Totally blew my mind when I found out Owen had died. I was just speechless.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I vaguely remember seeing on the TV at home that a wrestler had died (owen). I wasnt watching wrestling back then so it didnt really affect me. BUT, I wish he hadnt, so I could have enjoyed more of his work, other than stuff that had already happened.

·
Registered
13,167 Posts
Kinda hard to forget something like that, especially watching it live on PPV.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
I saw it and was in such disbelief I was kinda numbed by how swiftly wwe swept it under the rug.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Actually Agmaster I thought they did a good job on the night of keeping it professional but respectful. You could tell that everyone was bothered by it though, the commentary kind of went flat, and the matches after it happened kind of felt flat too.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Anyone who saw that event or was a fan at the time would never forget this. I didn't watch it live as I wasn't allowed to stay up 'til 4am to watch wrestling on a school night.

But I heard about it as soon as I got into school the day and I was devestated, whilst remaining sceptical about it all as, let's face it, the kids were describing something on professional wrestling where it's hard to differentiate between story and tragedy when it occurs. It didn't help that there were at least four different versions of events floating about the playground (one of which was clearly devised by someone who seen NOTHING). Anyway, I got home and watched it and it was just horrifying and so surreal.

Everything after the accident is awkward as Hell to watch. JR and King done great to be so professional and carry things on as best they could, but it's crazy that the event continued. I understand why they did, to be fair, but still - thousands of people just watched a grown man die.

·
Registered
544 Posts

·
Registered
9,486 Posts
I remember when someone told me the next day Owen Hart got hit by a pipe and died...I just rolled my eyes until I watched Raw..Never really knew what actually happened to him until a few years after and it took me a while to believe that actually happened since I couldn't find video evidence of it

·
Registered
970 Posts
It's still gut-wrenching watching JR announce:

"I have the unfortunate.....responsibility.... to inform you that Owen Hart has died."

If a video of the accident existed, everyone would want to see it. Not because they are sick freaks, but to help come to terms with how he departed. He was here one night, and completely gone the next.

·
Registered
213 Posts
As a fan of Owen Hart from way back when, I do find it a bit sad that his death seems to have overshadowed his life.

Go to any OH video on youtube and most of it is just RIP spam.

·
Premium Member
4,756 Posts
I had no idea that they announced live on the show, that must of been absolutely gut wrenching for the crowd and for everyone watching at home. I've never actually seen the footage but what a tragic day for wrestling and a tragic loss for everyone. I've heard so many good things about Owen as well.

·
Registered
802 Posts
i didnt wach it as much back then which i regret i never got to see him wrestle he sounds likea really nice guy aswell from wat you hear anout him and read in brets book

·
Premium Member
2,271 Posts
I was watching that PPV and then I hear Jim Ross very plainly "Ladies and Gentlemen Owen Hart has just died"

And I'm sitting there going "Huh? WTF so are they gonna end the show? Oh I guess not"

·
Registered
544 Posts
I remember when someone told me the next day Owen Hart got hit by a pipe and died...I just rolled my eyes until I watched Raw..Never really knew what actually happened to him until a few years after and it took me a while to believe that actually happened since I couldn't find video evidence of it
And you never will do they were playing a video at the time when it happened and never showed it. A camera man might of got it but that would be locked away or burnt

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
We're not supposed to remember that PPV. The WWE doesn't want us to remember stuff like that because they think we all have short term memory. They don't even want us to remember the guy who won the main event of Wrestlemania XX either. Anyways, I never saw Over the Edge and I dont think I ever will. Its such a tragedy to lose Owen by doing that stunt.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts