Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Read Only
11,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey, everyone.

This is a Cody Rhodes inspired thread. Back he was first introduced to us as the tough skinny second generation kid aligned with Hardcore Holly/Ted DiBiase, he seemed pretty bland and did not seem like he would ever reach huge heights. Then, Randy Orton decided to take him under his wing and form 'The Legacy', the second generation faction created to help/protect Orton from whoever he is feuding with, kind of like his own 'Evolution'.

Then, after the break up, at last year's WrestleMania, many expected Randy to win (which of course, was what happened). The rest expected DiBiase to win the Triple threat and get a big push. Not many people had any faith in Cody, and it didn't help that Orton punted him at Mania either.

He came back as 'Dashing" Cody Rhodes, pulled out corny (but still entertaining) promos and vignettes week in and week out. I remember this one particular backstage skit during the old school RAW where Cody and Goldust are acting like idiots and Dusty goes "Man I raised some weird kids!"... That's when I thought, Cody, just like Goldust is never going to be taken seriously because of his gimmick.

Man, have I been proved wrong. This feud with Rey has shown a whole new dimension to the 'Dashing' gimmick. He is now a twisted, psychotic, scared man who feels insecure about wearing the plastic mask. He has made a believer out of me, and all it really took was just changing between different characters until he found one that 'clicked'.

So, my question is who, out of the current roster, would be taken seriously if he changed, or just slightly tweeked his current persona. Zack Ryder comes to mind. Laycool as well. Anyone else?

· Banned
4,575 Posts
Ted DiBiase, Santino Marella, Daniel Bryan (HEEL), John Cena (obviously), Rey Mysterio, etc. There are quite a few guys that could use some freshening up, as I don't think any character has changed too much in quite a while. Everyone is stale.

· Read Only
11,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cena is another big one. I think a character change wont do it alone, it's gotta go along with a heel turn.

I think they have finally found a replacement for Cena if he turns heel in the Miz. I mean, Orton is over but he is the Viper and can't fill the kiddie-loving void Cena will leave when/if he turns. But I can totally see Miz as the main babyface of the company. Let's hope (like we'e been doing for the last 254 years) sighh

· Registered
19,085 Posts
HHH should go back to the evolution guy. But since he might be the boss soon, imagine Evolution HHH with a bit of Mr.McMahon in him, that'd be real good character.

Cena needs one for sure. He should still be the face of the company, just not going about being the face the same way every time.

Morrison should get one too. The rockstar guy was good for him on ECW and stuff, but now that he's proven he can compete with the main eventers, they should give him a gimmick that'd push him over to the top

I'd love to see Kofi win the world title as a face, but something tells me that Kofi as a heel would be real good. Turning his back on everyone, his first heel turn ever and basically admitting that the "happy kofi kingston" guy was an embarrassment and was him trying to suck up to the fans to get him to the top but it didn't work.

Everyone else just needs better stories to work with. There are many great gimmicks out there but lack of good stories to back those gimmicks up

· Banned
2,700 Posts
HHH should go back to the evolution guy. But since he might be the boss soon, imagine Evolution HHH with a bit of Mr.McMahon in him, that'd be real good character.

Cena needs one for sure. He should still be the face of the company, just not going about being the face the same way every time.

Morrison should get one too. The rockstar guy was good for him on ECW and stuff, but now that he's proven he can compete with the main eventers, they should give him a gimmick that'd push him over to the top

I'd love to see Kofi win the world title as a face, but something tells me that Kofi as a heel would be real good. Turning his back on everyone, his first heel turn ever and basically admitting that the "happy kofi kingston" guy was an embarrassment and was him trying to suck up to the fans to get him to the top but it didn't work.

Everyone else just needs better stories to work with. There are many great gimmicks out there but lack of good stories to back those gimmicks up
KOFI? World Title? The botch master himself with no mic skills? I'd stop watching WWE if that happened.. it's bad enough he is IC champ

· Registered
5,005 Posts
Here's a list:
Drew McIntyre
Christian (must reinvent himself leaving crushed him)
Mark Henry
Ted DiBiase
Jack Swagger
Chris Masters
Trent Berretta
Justin Gabriel (the only one I see being a solo success)
The entire Nexus and Corre groups
Daniel Bryan
Evan Bourne
John Morrison
Dolph Ziggler
Randy Orton

· Registered
384 Posts
maybe justin gabriel turns face after wade does something bad to him eg. put zeke with heath to win titles, and gabriel starts attacking corre and bing a badass face (until he is a full-on face character)

kofi should get a push after he gets a little more mic skills.

· Registered
330 Posts
Daniel Bryan needs character development before his character can be overhauled.

HHH needs a new schtick. GM/mentor?

Teddy Long and Truth could turn heel together.

DiBiase to be face, draft to SD, feud with Cody, put Cody over after losing 2 of 3 PPVs.

Show and Ryder to be serious characters.

McIntyre to be face. They've teased a face turn with Kelly kelly, make it happen.

· Registered
1,188 Posts
Justin Gabriel could be huge with a little bit of luck.

He's one of the best sellers in WWE atm, he's got a great move-set with a very over finisher, he's got international appeal (since he was born in South Africa) and has decent charisma. If WWE were to take Gabriel out of The Corre (which they most likely will, eventually), give him a face turn and then book him as a star, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he got over as one of WWE's top faces (if not, maybe the top face!).

· Registered
388 Posts
Justin Gabriel could be huge with a little bit of luck.

He's one of the best sellers in WWE atm, he's got a great move-set with a very over finisher, he's got international appeal (since he was born in South Africa) and has decent charisma. If WWE were to take Gabriel out of The Corre (which they most likely will, eventually), give him a face turn and then book him as a star, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he got over as one of WWE's top faces (if not, maybe the top face!).

Yeah I agree, Gabriel could be HUGE, but WWE will probably f it up

· Read Only
11,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Daniel Bryan needs character development before his character can be overhauled.

HHH needs a new schtick. GM/mentor?

Teddy Long and Truth could turn heel together.

DiBiase to be face, draft to SD, feud with Cody, put Cody over after losing 2 of 3 PPVs.

Show and Ryder to be serious characters.

McIntyre to be face. They've teased a face turn with Kelly kelly, make it happen.
If Triple H decides to mentor someone, who do you think would be the best candidate?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.