Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
C Mac G
5,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the year coming to a close, and December generally being a nothing month in Wrestling, I thought this would be an interesting conversation to have now.

Across every promotion, who has been your Wrestler of the year?

I will go with Chris Jericho, hindered by the fact that Dynamite has only been on for 2 months, recency bias is definitely playing a part, but from his promo work, there are few in the industry that come close to him right now, and for all of the talk that he's slowing down in the ring, he has had some fantastic matches this year. The match with Naito, Cody, I even thought his match with Hangman was pretty good.

From a WWE standpoint, I think everyone has been pretty weak this year, but I will go with an outside pick and say AJ STYLES. I don't think he gets the credit he is due because he has settled in a mid card role, but he is someone that has really kept RAW together since his heel turn. His promos have been much better, and he's someone you can slot anywhere, be it the main event, or working with a mid-level guy like Cedric Alexander. His ring work has suffered a bit, but as far as consistency, he's still one of the best they have.

·
Baby Yoda
29,354 Posts
Jericho without a doubt.

His work this year has been outstanding, the man turned a colossal fuck up into an entertaing angle on social media, he memed his way into some best selling merch and got freaking Jack Swagger over. The man in his spare time is giving Tom Brady advice FGS :lol

Any answer other than Jericho is wrong :jericho2

·
The Babyface of WF
10,958 Posts
It's hard to nominate someone for the whole calendar year as sometimes one particular Superstar might fluctuate during their course along the way(Seth Rollins) I don't watch aew so no nominations there.

Imo.

Mens.

Early quarter=Seth Rollins/Daniel Bryan

Mid quarter=AJ Styles

Late quarter=Adam Cole

Womens

Early quarter=Becky Lynch

Mid quarter=Alexa Bliss/Sasha Banks/Io Shirai

Late quarter=Rhea Ripley

·
WF's #1 Mox fan.
23,551 Posts
Probably Jericho tbh. He's been cutting amazing promos, he was the first AEW Champ and he's had some really fun stuff going on.

But I HAVE to throw in a mention for my boy Mox. He wrestled matches in WWE, AEW and New Japan this year. He went from a crappy heel run in WWE to the most talked about guy in the industry. He also did a superb job at hyping himself up, getting people talking and speculating and then delivering in a big way like being in the G1 or his AEW debut. Plus, he went from being booed in WWE to being cheered in basically less than a week :lol

·
Registered
16,454 Posts
Despite his shit selling of events, Adam Cole has been a workhorse for the last two months alone.

I do also think Jericho has been great this year since moving to AEw the man has kind of repaired the damage done by WWE and the man is shown to be a star again.

Moxley surprised me in Japan. I always knew he was under rated in the ring, but even I wasnt expecting some of the great matches he put out,

Will Ospreay obviously, the man has been knocking out hits. So he might have my vote.

Wanna throw Jay White and Kota Ibushi who started the earlier to mid half of the year out well :)

Showing some love to the women, Tessa Blanchard. She has been the woman of the year hands down.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Chris Jericho for sure. He has made AEW interesting to watch, has been THE CHAMP of the year, His heel run has been innovative and awesome and his feud with Cody should be feud of the year, clear distinction of heel and babyface, crowd totally behind the babyface etc.

·
Currently lying down wearing a blue suit
10,597 Posts
AEW: Chris Jericho

WWE: Adam Cole

Honourable Mentions: Jon Moxley, Cody Rhodes, Undisputed Era (the other members), Becky Lynch, Seth Rollins (kayfabe-wise), Will Ospreay (from what I've seen), and Tessa Blanchard

1 - 20 of 104 Posts