Wrestling Forum banner

Who is your favourite commentator in WWE at the moment?

• Michael Cole

Votes: 20 27.8%
  • Jerry 'The King' Lawler

Votes: 8 11.1%
  • Matt Striker

Votes: 14 19.4%
  • Josh Matthews

Votes: 23 31.9%
  • Todd Grisham

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Jack Corpela

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Scott Stanford

Votes: 4 5.6%
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Discuss the commentators currently working for the WWE at the moment. Vote on the poll for your favourite. I think it will be interesting considering many people of this forum have mixed feelings about Michael Cole and Matt Striker.

PS. I also include Jack Corpela and Scott Stanford in the poll because they currently commentate on Superstars. Todd Grisham is included for his commentating on NXT.

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
WWE's commentary has been really poor lately, particularly on Smackdown but also on Raw. There are a lot of long periods of silence, talent/angles aren't put over properly, play by play is a joke, some talent is buried heavily etc.

For Cole to excel at commentary he needs a good color commentator (eg. Tazz/JBL), and since Cole is on 3 shows per week without a good color commentator (Lawler is WAY past his prime, he use to be excellent though and Striker is only ok at best, imo) the commentary overall really suffers. I guess Matthews wins by default for me, at least he can put an angle over well at times.

·
Banned
4,120 Posts
Reactions: Icon™

·
A superhero that saves your GF from your sex game.
3,830 Posts
Im gonna agree with Icon. Michael Cole still sucks and gets on my damn nerves. WWE has just tried made him do it on purpose now.

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts
There should be a "Nobody" option.

Honestly everyone in the company sucks. They all sound corny and over-hype what you see way too much. The last good commentator was CM Punk but even he wasn't even THAT good.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
This guy

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Striker and Matthews vie week after week.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I personally have absolutely no problem with the commentators in WWE right now except for Jerry Lawler. I feel Lawler should retire, he is an old school guy in a new era of the WWE and just does not fit in. The fact he is taking up storyline time as well is an annoyance.

Aside from that, I think the build Cole has been getting as the new JR has been very good. Obviously he will never be as good as JR on commentary (no one ever will), but he is now considered the top guy in the company, in terms of commentary, working both RAW and SmackDown.

Matt Striker I feel is the most knowledgable of all the commentators. He really does know what he is on about, I can understand people's annoyance however when he tries to put his own spin on moves and superstar names.

Josh Matthews is the young gun, he is really making strides in the company right now and may very well be the top guy in 5 years or so. I've enjoyed all of his commentary so far. A special mention has to go to his commentary with Michael Cole on the 3rd Season of NXT. Those two guys really made an unbarable show hilarious! By taking the mic out of the show and by saying what was on the minds of every fan watching it, both men really 'got over' so to speak.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Todd Grisham, he calls the matches properly unlike Cole and Lawler and isn't a smark like Striker.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Josh Mathews for his Mila Kunis reference alone.

·
Inappropriately tinkly music.
7,024 Posts
Matthews. But dammit, my finger was hovering near Stanford's name for a moment or two. I'm genuinely enjoying the work he's done with Punk and now with Matthews on Superstars. Old-school, actually calling the match, and throwing in some jokes to keep it from being too dry. He's not a student of the game by any means, but he makes commentary light-hearted fun, and not in a snarky way like Cole does.

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
Matthews is awesome. Absolutely.

·
Banned
4,120 Posts
Matthews. But dammit, my finger was hovering near Stanford's name for a moment or two. I'm genuinely enjoying the work he's done with Punk and now with Matthews on Superstars. Old-school, actually calling the match, and throwing in some jokes to keep it from being too dry. He's not a student of the game by any means, but he makes commentary light-hearted fun, and not in a snarky way like Cole does.
I thought I was the only one that was enjoying Steve's work lol.

·
Banned
749 Posts
Matthews. I know I'm gonna catch heat, but fuck Striker. Every word that comes out of his mouth makes me want to kick him in the balls.

·
Proud Pastafarian =)
4,051 Posts
Striker. Cole sucks as an announcer. His lil gimick is cool at times. But he has done more to put down wrestlers and put himself over than actual putting the wrestlers over

1 - 20 of 45 Posts