Votes: 2 5.4%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Likes wrestling....
8,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All right,

just thought I would add some mindless content over the last couple of nights.

I love masked wrestlers and I am interested to know......does WF know their stuff lol?

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Rey Mysterio is American sooooo...

I'd also give a shout to Dick Beyer aka The Destroyer.

·
Likes wrestling....
8,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Rey Mysterio is American sooooo...

I'd also give a shout to Dick Beyer aka The Destroyer.
Yep he is and that's why he is here.....but to think this is a runaway lol.

Dick Beyer was a much more important figure in wrestling than Rey....IMO,

This is not cut and dry.

I mean Mr Wrestling 2 was maybe the most over masked man of all time in the States

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Rey and it's not even close. He is Triple Crown status, was WWE champion, World Heavyweight Champion multiple times, a 2 time IC champion, 4 time Tag Team champion, etc. He's still the most well known American masked wrestler in the world today.

I put Vader for second, though there were plenty of times he wrestled with his mask off. He has more international creds than Kane/Mankind though. With Kane and Mankind, it's somewhat the same since most of their more memorable moments came after the mask removal.

80s masked guys like Superstar, Mr. Wrestling I (Tim Woods) & II (Johnny Walker) and Spoiler have their place as greats in history, but not the greatest.

As far as historical contributions, The Destroyer and The Assassins (not the Memphis ones, btw) rank high. Destroyer was one of the first to bring American wrestling styles to Japan. The Assassin had been wrestling since the '50s, and he alone is so legendary you could write a thousand page book on him. But he never won any really notable titles (he almost beat Dusty for the NWA belt though) and played a lurker the latter half his career. So I can't place him or Destroyer as the greatest, but they're definitely up there.

·
Likes wrestling....
8,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Rey and it’s not even remotely close.

Greatest Mask of all time.
"Not even close" shows a serious lack of old school knowledge.

I mean I don't have a problem with Rey votes but anyone who thinks this is a blow away shows a serious lack of history

·
Registered
171 Posts
I was tempted to go with Masked Superstar because I'm a big fan of Bill Eadie.

However, I went with the Spoiler because obviously the best American masked wrestler is actually Canadian. :p

1 - 20 of 32 Posts