Wrestling Forum banner

Who has done the best job booking TNA since it started in 2002?

• Jerry Jarrett

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Vince Russo

Votes: 15 34.1%
  • Scott D'Amore

Votes: 17 38.6%
  • Bruce Prichard/Dave Lagana/Matt Conway

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • Someone else not mentioned here

Votes: 3 6.8%
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All the complaining on the board today about the finish to last night's PPV made it really interesting to come across this article on google randomly today: http://www.tnarevolution.com/2012/0...ul-heyman-lets-get-scott-damore-back-booking/.

I thought it'd be an interesting question to ask? Whether you love the current regime or hate them, who do you think has done the best job with the TNA book in its 10 years so far? I'm pretty indifferent on the current crew, mostly because I never decide whether I like a show or not based on who wrote it, but whether it worked for me. Some of the stuff they've done, I like (Storm, Roode and Aries' pushes), some of the stuff they've done I really hate (Garrett, the decimation of the tag division).

I remember some of the D'Amore stuff being really good at the time, mostly because it was pretty simple and straightforward. But that was in the period between Fox Sports and Spike for TNA when they were streaming Impact online, so they were clearly booking for an internet audience. Almost right after they lost the FSN deal, Raven won the title (this was only a year after everyone was really unhappy Jarrett didn't put him over in the original Nashville days) and he held the title until right before the first ever Spike show.

Anyway, I thought this might make an interesting thread since everyone hates last night's booking.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Scott D'Amore?? Are you freakin' kidding me?

It's Russo. Easily. He wrote and booked when TNA was good in 2002/2003 and in 2006-2009 and he was writing some good shows last summer and even recently until he left.

I think Prichard/Lagana/Conway have potential.

·
Banned
736 Posts
One thing needs to be made crystal clear and that is that Vince Russo was/is the greatest booker in the businesses history. I'm aware of the blind hate that the IWC gives him and unfortunately that is never going to change with the way the dirt-sheets have poisoned his name over the last 12 years, but Russo is undeniably the best TNA has ever had.

His run in 03/04 was in my opinion TNA at its best and it's just a tragedy that it was on weekly PPV and that only a few people were able to witness it. Unfortunately for him when he returned in 2006 TNA was a lot different and had a lot of people on the booking committee making decisions. Dixie Carter's constant stupid decisions, the start of the women's division and the bloated roster meant that Russo took a lot of shit for the messy and rushed shows that we witnessed from 07/10.

If WWE has any sense at all they'll bring him back, but knowing their reluctance to make changes it will not happen. TNA will no doubt look to bring him back in a few months now that their ratings are down and so they should, but for his sake I hope he gets assurances that he gets the majority of the power and not Bischoff/Lagana/Dixie/Hogan because its unfair on him.

·
Premium Member
44,385 Posts
Whoever it was that was booking from October 2005 to June 2006. I don't know who it was, but whoever booked during that period was the best.

The worst, honestly, was Dusty Rhodes. Russo at least has the alibi of possibly being hampered by Hogan & Bischoff. Dusty booked inane shit and terrible shows left & right while they were only on FSN, so I can say that it was his fault.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
RUSSO!

Over his body of work in TNA he created alot of good stuff.

Between SEX, elevating AJ styles, Raven's chase of Jeff Jarrett, the formation of Triple X, the formation of the MEM, The Chrisian Coalition-Angle Alliance, ect, ect.

Does some of his stuff not work?

Sure but every booker, EVERY Booker has had his failures Russo is no different.

Russo may go down as the most creative mind in wrestling history and yes I AM SERIOUS.

·
Banned
2,519 Posts
I find it funny how many people blindly hate Russo, yet its Russo style writing that everyone craves. The attitude era style = Russo, no question about it.. sure, people can say Bischoff started things with the nWo in WCW, or Paul Heyman in ECW with a couple of thousand viewers but it was never truly the same style as the attitude era, the most popular era in wrestling history

Blind Russo haters should try reading his autobiography, or listen to his recent interview with Wade Keller.. give the guy a chance and stop being a sheep

·
Banned
966 Posts
I find it funny how many people blindly hate Russo
I've never seen blind hate of Russo.

Blind Russo haters should try reading his autobiography, or listen to his recent interview with Wade Keller.. give the guy a chance and stop being a sheep
Ive done both. He isn't particularly bright, well read or open to criticism of his ideas. His booking philosophy is fatally flawed as he undermines the fundamentals of wrestling to the degree nothing matters or draws.

·
TNA Believer
4,293 Posts
About Russo, he has an admirable resistance to criticism and of course it's hard to be booker. But my sorry for Russo ends there.

You can talk to anyone that knows Russo and they'll tell you that he writes for short-term. He doesn't look at the big picture, he doesn't plan, it's just for the moment...he even admit that in an interview.

Tell me how can you build a company based on crazy ilogic stunts? I'll tell how, you write some idiotic storyline and you wait and bite your nails for the ratings to come up friday afternoon. Then you realize no one gives a damn and you starting bringing people over to have some name recognition and small boost the ratings and if that doesn't work either you just recycle old storylines and by the end of the day just might have a few dozen viewers that still want to see ruuso's TNA because the man is a missunderstood genious. That's Russo for you.

You know what happen to organizations that doesn't have nothing to separete them from the competition? that can't innovate? that can't think long-term? RIP.

·
Banned
5,212 Posts
TNA didn't have a ladder before Russo, hence why NOBODY got over. Worst booker in history who didn't even get the basics of wrestling.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Whoever it was that was booking from October 2005 to June 2006. I don't know who it was, but whoever booked during that period was the best.

The worst, honestly, was Dusty Rhodes. Russo at least has the alibi of possibly being hampered by Hogan & Bischoff. Dusty booked inane shit and terrible shows left & right while they were only on FSN, so I can say that it was his fault.
That would be a committee (which I believe was Jeff Jarrett, Dutch Mantell and possibly Jeremy Borash and Mike Tenay) headed up by Scott D'Amore. My favourite period of TNA so far.

If we believe what we read, or go by what is assumed, then tonight's tapings should kick off the 'proper' Bischoff/Pritchard/Lagana era. I've seen it said that everything up to Lockdown had been planned in October by Pritchard (and possibly Vince Russo).

And yes, I think Dusty Rhodes was pretty bad.

I think in time people may realise that Vince Russo wasn't all bad. I wonder if people's assessment of him may have been different if WCW hadn't happened?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts