Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey look it's me making a rare thread outside of work!

But I totally forgot about this and then I just remembered.

Remember several months back(which is why I forgot about this until now) Tony Khan went to Busted Open Radio(is he on their payroll or something? He goes on BOR a lot) and Tony Khan the big boss man himself said Adam Cole and Malakai Black have 5 years contracts.

And just yesterday Black went on Instagram live to talk about some things and pretty much from the beginning of the video he says " My contract is not 5 years. It's never been 5 years. It's bullshit."

Yet Tony said Black is signed to a five year deal..what's going on here? Is someone lying? Possibly misinformed? Could be something as simple Tony Khan thought he he gave Malakai Black a five year deal but he didn't.

Whatever the deal is House Of Black and House Of Khan need to get their houses in order

50 seconds is when Black brings up his contract

·
Registered
20,075 Posts
They could be option years added on the back end of the contract.

Could be Khan misspoke and could have said something like "3 years left with 2 optional years" if it was formatted like that but it's probably not good to see a talent now contradicting his boss like this. Khan isn't doing himself any favors recently.

Reactions: BrrrGoesWooo!

·
Waiting for Kawato
5,274 Posts
I think the most likely thing is that Tony Khan on this show (I haven't heard it, so I don't know what the tone of his comments was) made some casual offhand comment in which he gave a number and people have taken that number as fact and run with it and created a news story out of it.

Wrestling continuing to maintain these low-key carny qualities where they lack any kind of transparency to maintain their illusion is invariably going to create ever more situations like this in the age of podcasts and social media where people can communicate far too quickly, easily, and casually with way too many people who then have the platform to turn pure speculation into full-blown news. It's embarrassing stuff all around.

·
Registered
I know, I'm surprised I'm still alive too
329 Posts
Tony's the biggest numbers nerd in the world he would know the exact years, months, weeks, days, hours, minutes and seconds every single talent on his roster has left on their deals. He wouldn't misremember or be wrong on the contract length of a prominent name like Malakai.

But at the same time Triple H taking over and WWE contacting AEW wrestlers seems to have spooked him enough that I can see him lying and exaggerating how long some of their contracts are to send a message to WWE that you won't be able to touch my toys for a long time so don't even try it.

·
Registered
840 Posts
It's normal in the world of sports to talk about an (eg) 5 year contract but it is actually structured as 3 years with an optional 2 years which the club can take up.

In a well reported recent case in football, PSG publicized signing their franchise player Mbappe to a 3 year contract. It was recently leaked that it is actually 2 years with an option of 1 more year, and for Mbappe to not take that last year there is a bunch of conditions to do to enact it.

With TK owning Jags and Fulham it is quite possible he is used to expresses contracts like that quickly. He is not going to go on a podcast and say "yeah we signed a bunch of guys to 3 year contracts with options of a 4 and 5 year depending how things go". Bunch of info that he has no reason to share as it just gives the gossip rags more room to create shitcan reporting.

·
Registered
17,849 Posts
The way TK lumped it all together without mentioning specific names makes me think he was just trying to say he's got people signed long-term. So, he's not lying per se, just trying to get an idea across that Hunter can't just pluck guys from his roster

Malakai was talking specifically about his contract and has no reason to be untruthful about it. Especially, since this rant was intended to get you to trust him over Sapp and Meltzer

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Could be Khan misspoke and could have said something like "3 years left with 2 optional years" if it was formatted like that but it's probably not good to see a talent now contradicting his boss like this. Khan isn't doing himself any favors recently.
This wouldn't be the AEW section if someone wasn't trying to put a negative spin on anything and everything AEW related.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts