Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When WWE fails to create new stars, I think it lies both on the writers and the talent themselves. However, when people tell me nobody has stepped up, I have to believe the opposite is true ever since I started watching again back in December 2009.

#1 Sheamus, despite whom he may know, does have talent. He has stepped up. He may have just been somebody on ECW before becoming WWE Champion but it looks like he passed his test run with flying colors. He was a fantastic heel. He is the complete package and face of the company material because he has it all. I think it's fair to say he is #4 at worst. He might even be #3 given how far Orton has fallen. He has been given a lot and has wrestled good matches. He doesn't have to have the match of the night. He goes out there and delivers a solid performance. WWE needs new stars. I asked a thread if Sheamus counts as a new star WWE has made, a good deal of people seemed to agree.

#2 Imagine being given a very cheesy gimmick. You just split with your tag team partner, who is believed will be a greater individual success than you will and then you are sent to the B show on top of it. That's what Cody Rhodes was. I could not believe the ridiculousness of what was the Dashing gimmick. However, I watched Smackdown week in and week out and guess what? He began to grow on me. His vignettes were really cool plus he put on good matches. His character then evolved into a disfigured person before becoming what he is now. I absolutely ate up his IC title reign like cake because of how entertaining it was. He was booked well, wrestled good matches, eliminated 6 people in the Rumble and cut good promos. I REALLY hope he gets the strap soon if nothing else, for the sake of somebody finally getting a proper build around here without being part of WWE's start/stop pushes.

Allow me to repost something:

"They don't do proper buildup anymore and the start/stop pushes are annoying and they don't have patience or trust anybody. Punk is the one star they have made since all the talent left and to a lesser extent, Sheamus too. Let's take a look at how they've been booked.

Punk goes from ECW Champion to Money in the Bank to weakly booked champion to IC Champion to Money in the Bank to Champion to losing the belt to Jeff back to champion and then jobbing it to the Undertaker only to be a footnote by Rey, Big Show and Orton going over him before finally cutting the shoot promo that made him #2 today.

Come on.

Then Sheamus- goes from random ECW feuds to WWE Champion to losing to HHH then he takes him out, then he's champ, weakly booked cowardly champ to out of the main event and now he's King of the Ring in a ridiculous outfit who jobs to everybody such as Santino and John Morrison. He loses so much to the point where he will leave the company if he doesn't become U.S. Champ. Then he's U.S. Champ and loses it not much later. The next thing you know, he's back in the world title scene on Smackdown, turns face and now he's a typically booked WWE face who hardly ever loses, he wins the Royal Rumble and then the World Title in 18 seconds with hardly any chance to showcase his talent.

Seriously, what is that?

Punk and Sheamus are LUCKY they were able to overcome such non-sensical booking. Not everybody can and really, I don't blame them.

The only star with any proper build in recent memory has been Cody Rhodes: Young pupil of Holly, turns heel, tag partner of Ted DiBiase before they split. Then he takes a bad gimmick and makes it entertaining. His character develops into something beyond that that makes sense. He is booked how they used to book him. They give him a victory over Mysterio at Mania and then a few more months he hones his craft before finally capturing the IC title and making it the best in years, becoming WWE's midcard king. Now that he has dropped it, he is on his way up. Cody has been the exception to the rule."

#3 CM Punk isn't as hot as he was last summer. So what? He's still WWE champion and by no means a midcard champion because he is still feuding with decent names like Mark Henry and Chris Jericho. When Punk is serious, he is really, REALLY good. His match with Mark Henry was good on Monday. His psychology is absolutely fantastic.

That shoot promo was simply something he took and skyrocketed him. His pipebombs were hot as can be. His two shirts are at the top of merchandise sellers and for you critics- it's fair game to use the merchandise argument since you do the same for Cena. He has constantly entertaihed, be it on the mic or in the ring. He has kept it up. It is unfortunate WWE has dropped him down the card since he is worthy of being higher. He is becoming proven more and more. When WWE needed new faces to go along with Cena and Orton, both Punk and Sheamus have helped big time.

#4 Mark Henry was able to fill in the void for the monster heel role. He proved that not only does he equal ratings but he squashed everybody in his path. I was skeptical of giving him a run for the sake of not everybody can be champion. However, he proved me wrong big time. He went from a smiling, comedic babyface to somebody who accomplished a lot in his time as World Heavyweight Champion. They needed a big heel for people to hate and not like, so Henry was just that. He stepped up when asked.

#5 Zack Ryder stepped up like it was nobody's business. He worked so hard on his youtube show. He's decent in the ring and good on the mic. If nothing else, he saved his job and found a connection with the fans. He stepped up and got rewarded. Even if he is not a main event, multi time champion, the Ryder Revolution was in full force and swept across the WWE universe. He went from being a nobody to being a somebody. The man stepped up.

#6 Say whatever you want to say about The Miz. Did he step up? You better believe he did. He got so far because of how hard he worked. He did so much to show his devotion to the company he worked for and how badly he wanted it. So, he was rewarded greatly with becoming the first WWE Champion to eclipse 100 days since 2008.

I also give him major props for his role in the Wrestlemania 27 main event. It's The Rock, mega star, as guest host feuding with John Cena, the face of the company since 2005. It would be very hard to stand out. Miz took this and he made it about himself as well. He basically said "Dpn't forget about me." He was cutting great promos, on Cena, on The Rock. He Rock Bottomed Cena and gave the people's elbow and he was getting in a lot of offense.

I'm not sure how many people would've played the third wheel or been up to the challenge. Miz played it as well as anybody possibly could have in that situation, in my opinion. Did he step up? You better believe it.

#7 Dolph Ziggler constantly has stolen the show many times with his in ring ability. Plus he has managed to make both the IC title and U.S. Title relevant, which is a very rare feat. He made both of them as important as they could be these days. They seemed to mean something with him holding those titles. The only person since Ziggler who has made the title look like it means something has been Cody Rhodes. Like Cody, his mic skills have improved.

When people on this forum question who has stepped up? I just gave you seven people on the roster who have.

·
Plotting time travel mission.
8,641 Posts
Daniel Bryan stepped up as well, the crowd reactions at a main event level are an indication. Daniel Bryan was mostly knows for his ring work and ironically he has gotten over with his mic work and gimmick.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Sheamus and Bryan

Who hasn't Drew Mc

1 - 3 of 3 Posts