Wrestling Forum banner

Who has been the best mic worker in WWE in 2011?

5712 Views 89 Replies 71 Participants Last post by  Steph's Lover
Now I'm discounting The Rock on this one because he isn't technically a WWE superstar.

Please come up with one choice. One superstar.

I'm judging on promo work on not only consistency but also how much of an impact I feel the promos have had.
I'll start off with a slightly controversial pick as it isn't CM Punk, but I'm going with 'Dashing' Cody Rhodes. His mic work has been good all year so far, plus, in his last 2 taped promos, he has made me take notice. They were both standout promos in my opinion, much like CM Punk's Royal Rumble promo was last year. Rhodes has been getting praise on here and just about every other forum I've seen for his mic work but these latest promos have been getting some comparisons to Mick Foley. Now, to get a comparison to someone who in my opinion is one of if not the most passionate talker in WWE/F history and not have people seemingly label the people making those comparisons trolls is significant. that's my explantion.

I won't make claims saying Rhodes IS the best mic worker in WWE right now. It's just my opinion. Mic work especially is a subjective matter so everyone has a different opinion in some way. It may not be radical, but it is never identical.
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

· Registered
6,278 Posts
Punk. It'd be an even greater chasm between Punk and everyone else if he hadn't had to spend the first part of the year getting three jobbers over. Um, wait a second...

· Registered
185 Posts
Whose the best on the mic in my opinion, John cena. he gets the crowd going every time he talks. Simiarly, CM punk from a heel perspective does the same. But apart from these two i would have to say the miz.

· #EMMAtained
5,839 Posts
CM Punk. I know its the obvious choice, but its obvious for a reason. The guy has taken his promo work to a new level. Ever since he was the head of SES, his promo work has just gotten better and better and better. And the way he really gets under the average fans skin, shows he's doing his job perfectly, and getting people to hate him in arena's across the country. Sure on the internet, fans love him due to seeing his great matches in the past, but the casual fan who loves Cena, Rey, Orton in the arenas can not stand Punk so he's doing his job perfectly well.

· Banned
5,112 Posts
I generally hate the jizzfest over Punk on this forum but anyone who doesn't say Punk is kidding themselves. People will try and pick someone else because Punk is so obvious and they're trying to be different by choosing someone else. But sometimes you just have to go for the obvious. Punk's mic work this year has been fantastic. He just has you gripped the entire time he's talking. He makes every word mean something. He's everything on the mic Miz wishes he could be. Now that's not a jab at Miz (well it kinda is) but he simply doesn't have the control on the stick that the likes of Punk, Rock, Cena and even Orton have.

· Registered
421 Posts
Yoshi Tatsu!
Ted DiBiase!
:rolleyes:

Um Punk by a Country mile.

But there are some talkers around now days.....

The Miz
John Cena (what he says maybe "poop" but he delivers it well, and how he's suppose to, and on Monday proved he can still deliver the "Thugonomics" promos
Triple H (not bad)
Christian (aint bad either).
Edge

Zack Ryder?!?!:rolleyes:

· Asuka
123,116 Posts
I generally hate the jizzfest over Punk on this forum but anyone who doesn't say Punk is kidding themselves. People will try and pick someone else because Punk is so obvious and they're trying to be different by choosing someone else. But sometimes you just have to go for the obvious. Punk's mic work this year has been fantastic. He just has you gripped the entire time he's talking. He makes every word mean something. He's everything on the mic Miz wishes he could be. Now that's not a jab at Miz (well it kinda is) but he simply doesn't have the control on the stick that the likes of Punk, Rock, Cena and even Orton have.
The last 4 words ruined an otherwise perfect post. 9.5/10.

Orton isn't even capable of hanging with Sheamus in terms of mic work, Miz embarasses him outright. Miz isn't perfect on the mic, he fumbles over his words every now and then, he's not amazing at creating an electric atmosphere with his promos, but he's damn good and certainly more apt at talking than a human piece of cardboard like Randy Orton. And before you go off calling me an Orton hater, I have conceded that Orton, while he's still as dull as ever, has improved his mic work. He's a far better mic worker than he was during his Legend Killer days, but he's already hit his ceiling and it's not good enough.

· Banned
5,112 Posts
Haha, Miz is miles better than Orton in terms of mic work. You really are a blind mark.
I didn't say Orton is better than Miz on the mic, I just said Orton has more control over the mic than Miz which I think is a fair statement. Miz is definitely a lot more entertaining on the stick than Orton.

The last 4 words ruined an otherwise perfect post. 9.5/10.

Orton isn't even capable of hanging with Sheamus in terms of mic work, Miz embarasses him outright. Miz isn't perfect on the mic, he fumbles over his words every now and then, he's not amazing at creating an electric atmosphere with his promos, but he's damn good and certainly more apt at talking than a human piece of cardboard like Randy Orton. And before you go off calling me an Orton hater, I have conceded that Orton, while he's still as dull as ever, has improved his mic work. He's a far better mic worker than he was during his Legend Killer days, but he's already hit his ceiling and it's not good enough.
I agree with everything you've just said and think you misunderstood what I was trying to say about Orton. Miz is clearly better on the mic overall than Orton but in terms of control I think Orton beats him. Orton used to fumble like The Miz but he's cut that out and he's very smooth on the stick now (even if it is boring). I think Miz will eventually smoothen his mic work out though.

· Premium Member
4,913 Posts
I didn't say Orton is better than Miz on the mic, I just said Orton has more control over the mic than Miz which I think is a fair statement. Miz is definitely a lot more entertaining on the stick than Orton.
Okay fair enough, I should of read properly. Although I'm not quite sure what you catorgize "control" as because Orton barely speaks and when he does its rather generic and average.

· Registered
6,278 Posts
Orton used to fumble like The Miz but he's cut that out and he's very smooth on the stick now (even if it is boring). I think Miz will eventually smoothen his mic work out though.
After all, it IS easier to be smooth on the mic when you're only uttering 0.3 words per minute.

· Banned
5,112 Posts
Okay fair enough, I should of read properly. Although I'm not quite sure what you catorgize "control" as because Orton barely speaks and when he does its rather generic and average.
After all, it IS easier to be smooth on the mic when you're only uttering 0.3 words per minute.
These are both very good points but I've followed Orton closely and trust me he has a certain control over the mic. During his Legacy days he cut longer promos where he'd increase his intensity on the stick and still remain in control. Right now WWE has opted to go with the 'silent assassin' approach with Orton (Undertaker-esque) so he doesn't really have to speak and when he does it's very minimal. Even though it's so minimal you shouldn't underestimate the control and dominance he has. It's very easy to fuck up even if you're speaking slowly. Just ask Michael McGillicutty.

· Asuka
123,116 Posts
I agree with everything you've just said and think you misunderstood what I was trying to say about Orton. Miz is clearly better on the mic overall than Orton but in terms of control I think Orton beats him. Orton used to fumble like The Miz but he's cut that out and he's very smooth on the stick now (even if it is boring). I think Miz will eventually smoothen his mic work out though.
I suppose that's fair.

Miz is very good, but he does have a problem fumbling over himself. I believe he'll overcome it. I believe the reason he struggles is because he doesn't have a secure spot in the main event (Well, I suppose he will. WrestleMania main eventer is a secure spot, is it not? :argh:)...or at least, not AS secure as guys like Cena and Orton. Because of how he came up and how hard he's worked, he's trying to keep his spot at any cost, so he's trying extra hard to remember the scripts they put in front of him and he'll finish a few sentences, try to process what he has to go into next and get choked up. He'll learn.

· Banned
5,112 Posts
I suppose that's fair.

Miz is very good, but he does have a problem fumbling over himself. I believe he'll overcome it. I believe the reason he struggles is because he doesn't have a secure spot in the main event (Well, I suppose he will. WrestleMania main eventer is a secure spot, is it not? :argh:)...or at least, not AS secure as guys like Cena and Orton. Because of how he came up and how hard he's worked, he's trying to keep his spot at any cost, so he's trying extra hard to remember the scripts they put in front of him and he'll finish a few sentences, try to process what he has to go into next and get choked up. He'll learn.
Yep he comes across as if he's trying too hard at this point cos his mic work leading up to his title win was better and a lot smoother. I think he was particularly nervous last night on RAW too cos he was going after two great mic workers in Cena and Rock and he didn't want to cock up and in the process cocked up. It was tight to beginning with but as he progressed he got looser and looser and eventually the end part of his promo was very very shaky. Still, like you've said, he'll overcome this through experience, hopefully.

· Registered
185 Posts
I suppose that's fair.

Can i just firstly say i agree with what you said!
This may be a question for another thread, but do you think miz will lose his main eventish position and go into a decline similar to jack swagger?

But in defence of miz, i think time and experience is needed for him to improve, even though he is awesome on the mic ;P

· Banned
5,112 Posts
This may be a question for another thread, but do you think miz will lose his main eventish position and go into a decline similar to jack swagger?
I know this isn't addressed towards me but I thought I'd give my take on it anyhow. Miz's rise to the top has been very gradually and carefully dealt with by the WWE. They pushed his character over an entire year with an eye on eventually making him champion. With Swagger it was almost done in a week. It was like just on impulse. They didn't seem to plan it out at all and as a result they couldn't maintain it. With Miz I feel it's totally different and he's here to stay (in the main event scene).

1 - 20 of 90 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.