Wrestling Forum banner

Who gets credit for the rating increase tomorrow?

1668 20
Will it be because of fans thinking the Rock will be back the following week or will the McMahons spin it and say it's due to the Undertaker's 2/21/10 return+post PPV hype?
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· You're better than that Cole.
4,004 Posts
McMahons will spin it up and say it's due to the Undertaker's 2/21/10.

You know how they like to discredit The Rock for over the years due to his Hollywood success and act like he wasn't a major player in the industry so I won't be surprise if the same happens again.

The WWE top 50 Greatest Wrestlers of all time DVD is proof of that.

· Banned
4,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well truthfully, there's no question that this is their best chance to get a nice rating no matter what. Fans not sure if the Rock is gonna be there, the rumors about Sting, Undertaker DEFINITELY returning in the last segment, and of course the PPV fall out with the WM picture being clear...I expect appearances from Edge and Del Rio as well Miz and Cena to start interacting and their responses to the Rock in general. Basically, there should be NO HUMANLY way the WWE can fuck up tommorrow's Raw..you know it, I know it, everyone knows it. There's too many things that should just fall in place for a good show. You can't fuck this up.

· Registered
3,895 Posts
Rock should get the credit, ask any wreslting fan and 9/10 of them would want to see The Rock for the second week in a row as opposed to the 21-02-11 thing. Just look at the impact it's made in 6 days. But Vince's pride will make him think it will be all 21-02-11, then the aftermatch of the Chamber, then Cena, then Rock last. We all know how much he discredits The Rock, admittedly i'm not a Rock fan but anyone with a pair of eyes can see he's made a much bigger impact for the business then what Vince wants us to think.

· Celestial Messiah
39,109 Posts
Rock should get the credit, ask any wreslting fan and 9/10 of them would want to see The Rock for the second week in a row as opposed to the 21-02-11 thing. Just look at the impact it's made in 6 days. But Vince's pride will make him think it will be all 21-02-11, then the aftermatch of the Chamber, then Cena, then Rock last. We all know how much he discredits The Rock, admittedly i'm not a Rock fan but anyone with a pair of eyes can see he's made a much bigger impact for the business then what Vince wants us to think.
Yes, Vince hates the Rock. Thats why he pushed The Rock to moon, inducted High Chief Peter Maivia and Rocky Johnson, and asked the Rock to return.

It all makes sense.

· Banned
4,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, Vince hates the Rock. Thats why he pushed The Rock to moon, inducted High Chief Peter Maivia and Rocky Johnson, and asked the Rock to return.

It all makes sense.
Yeah that tooks years..all the while he's been screaming from the rooftops to everyone that can listen that it was all Austin and DX that won the Monday Night Wars instead of the Rock. Barely showing him on clips during rewinds and all of that bullshit they've been pulling for years. Vince is a bitter man...comes with the territory I suppose after you have it easy for too long.

· Registered
19,085 Posts
Rock will be the biggest factor, but the ratings would have gone up even without the rock.

It'd be around 3.5 without rock, will be in the high 3's, low 4's because of him.

Final month till WM, the 2-21-11 person is revealed, rtwm stuff really starts picking up, so ppl will tune in for those things alone, the rock is just a real huge bonus

· Registered
3,895 Posts

It all makes sense.
Which is also why in 1999 Vince tried so, so hard to make The Rock seem to be nowhere near as over was he was to the viewers at home, and if not equal to Austin in terms of overness (to be fair, it was a year past Austin's absolute peak of 1998, no touching that in terms overness :), but still), certainly a hair behind him. And Vince tried to get Trips to be atleast the equal The Rock when Austin was out, even though it backfired both times.
Seems to be as funny as it sounds, Vince did not WANT The Rock to become as big as he did.

4,004 Posts
Which is also why in 1999 Vince tried so, so hard to make The Rock seem to be nowhere near as over was he was to the viewers at home, and if not equal to Austin in terms of overness (to be fair, it was a year past Austin's absolute peak of 1998, no touching that in terms overness :), but still), certainly a hair behind him. And Vince tried to get Trips to be atleast the equal The Rock when Austin was out, even though it backfired both times.
Seems to be as funny as it sounds, Vince did not WANT The Rock to become as big as he did.
True words.

Austin was definitely the “ring leader” of the Attitude Era, no one with a brain is denying that factor but how they try to keep discredit The Rock or trying to not make him not as over as Austin was pathetic and it failed big time.

In 1999 as a Face, The Rock immediately went into the mid-card after his feud with Austin ended (not counting his Taker feud for the WWE title for one month) and got him rivalry with jobbers like Al Snow, British Bulldog, Mr. Ass, Steve Blackman, Big Bossman, Val Venis and wasted more time of sticking him with Mankind of having a tag team career for a short period of time despite having a great success nonetheless.

Let’s be completely honest, other then maybe Mr. Ass at the time, are you going to tell me they was pushing any of those talents at the time to atleast make them credible by using The Rock? absolutely not. Rock was basically wasting his time during that long period of meaningless.

I remember countless times that even JR use to act like Rock was not getting big pops everytime Austin/Rock had confrontations in 1999. But then goes absolutely crazy when Austin came out. Ross act like Rock was getting Chris Masters pops.

· Registered
3,895 Posts
True words.

Austin was definitely the “ring leader” of the Attitude Era, no one with a brain is denying that factor but how they try to keep discredit The Rock or trying to not make him not as over as Austin was pathetic and it failed big time.

In 1999 as a Face, The Rock immediately went into the mid-card after his feud with Austin ended (not counting his Taker feud for the WWE title for one month) and got him rivalry with jobbers like Al Snow, British Bulldog, Mr. Ass, Steve Blackman, Big Bossman, Val Venis and wasted more time of sticking him with Mankind of having a tag team career for a short period of time despite having a great success nonetheless.

Let’s be completely honest, other then maybe Mr. Ass at the time, are you going to tell me they was pushing any of those talents at the time to atleast make them credible by using The Rock? absolutely not. Rock was basically wasting his time during that long period of meaningless.

I remember countless times that even JR use to act like Rock was not getting big pops everytime Austin/Rock had confrontations in 1999. But then goes absolutely crazy when Austin came out. Ross act like Rock was getting Chris Masters pops.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv-Jy3WB9NE
Is it just me or did easily Rock get a bigger pop than Austin on this?

4,004 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv-Jy3WB9NE
Is it just me or did easily Rock get a bigger pop than Austin on this?
Nights like those are a prime example of what I’m talking about. See how Jim Ross and Lawler calmly talked about the Ministry when Rock make his way to the ring like as if he is another jobber about to get squashed while ignoring his big pop. But when Austin comes out Jim Ross act like he never heard an ovation as loud as Austin’s before.

And yeah Rock’s pop was slightly bigger. But bigger nonetheless. I couldn’t stand how they try to downplay Rock’s popularity but the whole world stop when Austin came out. Don’t get me wrong, I love Austin as well but the way they kept trying to discredit The Rock for Austin sake was pathetic.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.