Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must say, I don't think Kofi Kingston and Dolph Ziggler have had a better match than the one they had on Smackdown this evening. Their chemistry with one another seemed to peak in this match, with both men countering each other's moves with their own over and over. Really displays the beauty and artform of wrestling--as the workers get to know one another better, they can incorporate more exciting spots as their program or series of matches continues, and in kayfabe it's a representation of how the wrestlers have gotten to know each other/scout one another through their previous encounters.

I had even read the spoilers ahead of time and knew that Swagger was costing Kofi the match and the championship, but for whatever reason I found myself so caught up in it that I didn't even think of what I read in the spoiler thread. Kofi and Dolph really made me get lost in their bout every step of the way. And the on-point commentary by the three announcers about Kofi, and to a lesser extent the young wrestlers in general in the shadow of Miz's ascension to the top over on Raw, just made it even better.

Smackdown's been fairly dismal lately, but it's matches like this that make even the lousiest episodes worth a look.

They made every second of those approximately thirteen minutes count for the most and made it feel like a war. Kudos to both men.

Anyone else really dig what these guys did?

Reactions: Phenom

·
The Winds of Change
5,627 Posts
I did as well. That has been one of the few things that has kept me invested in Smackdown is the quality of matches. Dolph/Kofi "XXV" (lol) was no different. Dolph is really coming into his own and is showing that he is by far one of the best in ring works of the youth movement. I always find Kofi entertaining, and while many will knock the outcome and final stages of his feud with Orton at the end of 2009, Kofi simply was not ready for that level. Kofi's move to Smackdown was the best thing that could have happened to him, and since the draft, his in ring work has improved drastically.

The two men really put on a fantastic match, and I agree that it told a great story of where the two men are at in their continuous, on-going feud. I really have been very on the fence about Swagger ever since he won MITB and then cashed in - especially during his face flop of a World Title reign - but I think he is exactly where he needs to be right now. The IC title scene is getting some much needed love once again and I can only hope that continues to build.

I'm thinking we will see Dolph/Kofi/Swagger in a triple threat for the belt at TLC, and I would love for it to be made a ladder match. I think it could really be an instrumental, stepping stone match for all of the mens' careers...regardless of who wins.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
I did as well. That has been one of the few things that has kept me invested in Smackdown is the quality of matches. Dolph/Kofi "XXV" (lol) was no different. Dolph is really coming into his own and is showing that he is by far one of the best in ring works of the youth movement. I always find Kofi entertaining, and while many will knock the outcome and final stages of his feud with Orton at the end of 2009, Kofi simply was not ready for that level. Kofi's move to Smackdown was the best thing that could have happened to him, and since the draft, his in ring work has improved drastically.

The two men really put on a fantastic match, and I agree that it told a great story of where the two men are at in their continuous, on-going feud. I really have been very on the fence about Swagger ever since he won MITB and then cashed in - especially during his face flop of a World Title reign - but I think he is exactly where he needs to be right now. The IC title scene is getting some much needed love once again and I can only hope that continues to build.

I'm thinking we will see Dolph/Kofi/Swagger in a triple threat for the belt at TLC, and I would love for it to be made a ladder match. I think it could really be an instrumental, stepping stone match for all of the mens' careers...regardless of who wins.
Pretty much. hope that match happens, and i agree his ring work improved alot since 2009, even his ecw days as well.

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree that Kofi's move to Smackdown is certainly what the doctor ordered for him. I think it's even more a case of him being able to have more consistently long matches on the blue brand than he was usually given the opportunity for on Raw. And consequently, he's been able to show off much more on Smackdown. Smackdown is also the brand that needs him, and as this past year has continued, that reality has only become clearer with all of the brand's top faces falling apart.

I definitely agree that a well-paced and well-booked triple threat ladder match for the Intercontinental Championship at TLC between Kofi, Swagger and Ziggler could really do wonders for all three men. Seems like they want to finally commit to Kofi in the near future, and Swagger's being rebuilt step by step. Ziggler can hang around the midcard for a good while longer as Intercontinental Champion--his reign should keep going, by all means--and just continue on as the king of the blue brand's midcard.

In any case, the Kofi/Dolph match this evening was just so much fun. And that crowd that was completely into Kofi only helped all the more.

·
Registered
6,492 Posts
I love the Ziggler/Kofi feud for the IC title. First of it's a good feud with good matches and the IC title is being used very well on Ziggler.

·
Follower of Lockeism
13,482 Posts
I also sense a triple threat ladder match at TLC between Kofi/Swagger/Dolph.

I liked the match a lot, but still preferred sme of their other hundreds of matches.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts