Wrestling Forum banner

Who else forgets CM Punk won his first world title in 2008 and not 2011

2784 Views 31 Replies 25 Participants Last post by  Deptford
If ur gonna bring up that overrated vanilla midget promotion (ROH)...Noone counts indies as "world championships"

I always seem to forget he beat Edge in 2008. I guess he was just over shadowed by real stars...Anyone else forget?Go ahead and blame "booking" go the whole 9 yeards to defend Punk's mediocre reign
If ur gonna bring up that overrated vanilla midget promotion (ROH)...Noone counts indies as "world championships"

I always seem to forget he beat Edge in 2008. I guess he was just over shadowed by real stars...Anyone else forget?Go ahead and blame "booking" go the whole 9 yeards to defend Punk's mediocre reign
See more
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Banned
8,158 Posts
Re: Who else forgets CM Punk won his first world title in 08 and not 2011

His first reign sucked. Most people probably forgot about it. When he won the World Title in 2009, that was a better title reign.

· Registered
998 Posts

when he still had the long hair and wore the yellow trunks

· Banned
3,639 Posts

when he still had the long hair and wore the yellow trunks
One thing that bothered me on SVR 2008, CM Punk's game debut... is he had red trunks. Like seriously, CM Punk's first year he was basically chained inside those yellow trunks.

· Banned
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

· Registered
998 Posts

On think that bothered me on SVR 2008, CM Punk's game debut... is he had red trunks. Like seriously, CM Punk's first year he was basically chained inside those yellow trunks.
haha i remember that...then in SVR11 he still had the caveman look and the SES still going on even though he shaved and dropped the SES like 4-5 months before the games release

· Registered
1,369 Posts

Punk in 2009 had a much better reign and ME some PPVs, problem? Everybody have had a bad start nobody had a perfect career from start. He got over with the fans over the years so what's you point? That you hate him.

· Banned
3,639 Posts

haha i remember that...then in SVR11 he still had the caveman look and the SES still going on even though he shaved and dropped the SES like 4-5 months before the games release
Yeah, but that look/gimmick was too good to not document it on a video game. And then they added his mask later. If I'm not mistaken he got injured after a few matches in a normal look that he later used while in nexus.

· Banned
1,809 Posts

His first reign sucked. Most people probably forgot about it. When he won the World Title in 2009, that was a better title reign.

Yeah, that whole month he had it before he opened his trap to Taker backstage about him being as big a deal as John Cena? Awesome reign =P

· Registered
998 Posts

It seems like most people have forgotten Bryan's WHC reign too.
prob cause he was a heel and clean shaving so it wasnt note worthy to the YES bandwagoners

· Registered
15,657 Posts

Who? There was no one by that name in the WWE Dammit!
:vince3

· Asuka
123,116 Posts

That's because regardless of how much value the world title has, there's a clear distinction in how somebody is booked as WWE Champion compared to World Heavyweight Champion. WWE Champion is purely for the guys they really value.

· Banned
19,356 Posts
Yea what Pyro said. The World Heavyweight Championship was so, so, so second rate to the WWE Championship then. It improved a little bit when Henry got the reign up until Show lost to ADR, imo, but overall, the WHC was never "the" championship. It shouldn't have really been considered a main event championship after 2006~.

· Registered
10,453 Posts

It seems like most people have forgotten Bryan's WHC reign too.
Same thing for Punk's first world title reign, it was abysmal and his first tow title matches were the shits. Knit Hat & Mark Henry? :lol Please. It wasn't really his fault, you can't possibly put on a clinic with any of those two. Plus the EC match was good, but most of them are always good, anyhow, and it was mostly focused on the Tom & Jerry-like feud between him and Big Show.

Not to mention it's overshadowed by how his title reign ended :)sheamus).

· Registered
7,857 Posts
The first Punk title run in 2008 was a joke. He had a shitty feud with Batista and then JBL. They don't even have him loose the belt at Unforgiven but rather have Orton beat the shit out of him in a backstage segment then Punk comes back and hangs in the mid card until he wins MITB the following year at Mania 25. His run on Smackdown with Hardy in 2009 was 100 times better than the shit he got in 2008 when he first won the World Heavyweight Title.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.