Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wondered where to post a thread about Gabriel but decided in the SmackDown! section seeing as I think he's moved there along with Slater and Jackson?

Anyhow, I've been watching Gabriel hit his 450 Splash a lot recently, and it strikes me how much pain it looks like he's in after it's connected. I don't know how much it hurts the guy on the mat (because they are trained superstars after all), but Gabriel always seems to get up from it slowly with a look of pain on his face as if it hurt him more than it did his opponent.

I think it's a great move, but it'd be a little funny if his finisher hurt him more than it did his opponent. :rolleyes:

·
Banned
542 Posts
Its just like how RVD still gets hurt from doing 5 star frog splashes your whole mid section is crashing down on other person.

·
The human torch was denied a bank loan.
7,576 Posts
Same thing with RVD and the Frog Splash really, I think it hurts Gabriel more than his opponent. Must suck if that's your finisher because you know you're going to get hurt.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Same thing with RVD and the Frog Splash really, I think it hurts Gabriel more than his opponent. Must suck if that's your finisher because you know you're going to get hurt.
Yup. When he sets up for the Splash, you can always see the apprehension on his face. He doesn't really just go for it, does he?

·
Registered
884 Posts
you've never done any sport or physical activity have you?

In contact sports, there is normally a transfer of momentum when say in NFL, a guy gets tackled. The momentum from a tackle transfers to the guy getting tackled and then the momentum and force continues through that guy and the air.

In the 450 splash, there is 'technically' no give in the canvas, so that transfer of momentum doesn't occur, and Justin Gabriel takes a lot more of the force.

Reactions: L-U-D

·
Registered
884 Posts
Yup. When he sets up for the Splash, you can always see the apprehension on his face. He doesn't really just go for it, does he?
Pretty sure thats not it.... Its the grand finale, its there to just build up anticipation (and prob to wait so people can get their cameras out) lol

·
Registered
136 Posts
I just want him to not clutch his ribs one time so I can remove it from my sig.

·
Registered
544 Posts
you've never done any sport or physical activity have you?

In contact sports, there is normally a transfer of momentum when say in NFL, a guy gets tackled. The momentum from a tackle transfers to the guy getting tackled and then the momentum and force continues through that guy and the air.

In the 450 splash, there is 'technically' no give in the canvas, so that transfer of momentum doesn't occur, and Justin Gabriel takes a lot more of the force.
Spot on. It takes the wind right out of the guy and, while him holding his ribs helps to sell the force, he's obviously going to be in some pain following the 450.

·
Lucy Snorebush
2,073 Posts
Looking at most of the posts in this thread, it would seem Justin Gabriel is brilliant at selling.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Gabriel lands on his hands and knees first.

Good to see it's still real to you, dammit.

I imagine the one on Big Show hurts though, due to his big fat belly in the way.

TLDR; IT'S STILL REAL TO ME DAMMIT

A guy landing on his hands and feet does not hurt his ribs. You guys are morons.

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
Wrestlers have been using "desperation" moves for years, most "ariel-to-grounded-opponent" finishers are. RVD always holds his gut after he does the Five Star Frog Splash, Jeff Hardy feels the pain after the Swanton too.

If anything it makes the move look more genuine than shitty moves like The Paydirt or The Overdrive, which have all the brute force of a light breeze.
but Gabriel always seems to get up from it slowly with a look of pain on his face as if it hurt him more than it did his opponent.
Where did you get this idea from? Literally the only way to know who it hurts more is by taking and receiving the move yourself. You can't tell by watching because a wrestler on TV would be selling the impact like a wrestler should.

Yes you can see him holding his ribs but that doesn't mean it hurts him MORE than the other guy, I've no idea where you got that concept :confused:
Pretty sure thats not it.... Its the grand finale, its there to just build up anticipation (and prob to wait so people can get their cameras out) lol
I saw an interview with him a while back (out of character) where he said to him, it's still scary performing the move because of the risk factor. I doubt there are five guys in the WWE who could pull off that move. I train with a Parkour group who do similar moves and literally the smallest thing could land with him having a broken neck.

Sure, he's done it a million times and shouldn't be worried but it's like driving. You could be driving for 20 years and that doesn't mean you won't crash.

·
I must away and tend to my ravens
11,236 Posts
Gabriel lands on his hands and knees first.

Good to see it's still real to you, dammit.

I imagine the one on Big Show hurts though, due to his big fat belly in the way.

TLDR; IT'S STILL REAL TO ME DAMMIT

A guy landing on his hands and feet does not hurt his ribs. You guys are morons.
Exactly, he's just clutching his ribs to make the 450 look more impressive.

Going off topic slightly, I would imagine that the most painful top rope move as far as the reciever is concerned it the Tadpole Splash. Because Hornswoggle is so short he can't absorb as much of the impact with his arms and legs as others do so his opponant has to bear more of the brunt than normal. Being smaller he weighs less which must help but nontheless, you have to give credit for the guys willing to take the move.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Doesn't that bear more risk for his wrists and ankles, though? That seems like a worse idea. Top rope is so counter intuitive.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Where did you get this idea from? Literally the only way to know who it hurts more is by taking and receiving the move yourself. You can't tell by watching because a wrestler on TV would be selling the impact like a wrestler should.

Yes you can see him holding his ribs but that doesn't mean it hurts him MORE than the other guy, I've no idea where you got that concept :confused:
I did say "as if", and not 'because'.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Some people obviously never heard of selling a move.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts