Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Just throw it to Triple HHH until WM and im happy and accept it. Its all about a game

·
Registered
1,602 Posts

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
18,792 Posts
For right now?

I'll be the contrarian and say Del Rio. For a few reasons. Firstly, they need to give him an actual trial run after ramming him through like a Congressional bill before Christmas recess. The whole Punk/Trips/Ace/Vince/Awesome Truth/Cena/Nash/Textgate/Walkoutgate/JR-fired-for-the-1,000th-time angle is so deep in breadth and scope and eating up so much oxygen, I'd almost be afraid to see the WWE Championship be lost in the malestrom. You can argue that it's lost because the champion is, in a way, outside the big ol' bubble (though he's tenuously part of it as hinted by Punk--"Someone wants 'berto to be champ real bad" and would fit the meta-commentary-mandated role of corporate champion, as the company rams him down our throats, thus making a dual-pronged statement about the kayfabe storyline and real-life WWE shenanigans at once), but, so long as he's given legitimate opponents like Cena, he'll be okay. Like Kurt Angle as WWF/E Champion in the midst of Austin's Revenge Against Riki--er, Triple H and Sheamus as WWE Champion during the Nexus storyline, they're bordering on being marginal world champions but they need to give Del Rio some kind of reign that exceeds five weeks in duration just to plant the idea in the fans' collective consciousness that he's not a complete fluke and that they ought to get used to him being around the upper card and main event scene for years to come. You hit the abort button now, and really, just about all is lost as far as Del Rio goes. It's too late in the game to make a U-turn; frankly their cockamamie booking somehow helped to get him more over in the past month; and now they have him where they want him, in Mexico as their WWE Champion, so they're checking off personal goal boxes for themselves as we speak, I imagine.

And then there's the question of the other options. Cena? No thanks. I hope he's without the WWE Championship in November so Rock can poke him about it, based on Cena holding it the last time they stared each other down on May 2. Besides, Cena's been in the WWE Championship picture since 2010 became 2011, and we/he could use another break. Punk? That would short-circuit the plausible long-term storyline direction they want for him as a still-newly-turned babyface. It would be horrible timing. Miz? How does he immediately segue from Awesome Truth, being a henchman for Johnny Ace, being at the heart of this whole storyline now, to suddenly taking the belt off another heel? Would feel abrupt and not very organic. At least for right now. Triple H, well, this forum would probably go into meltdown. And that's really it as far as the WWE Championship goes, there is no one else currently "in play" with regards to it.

So, until at least Survivor Series/TLC/early 2012, they really should stick to their guns with Del Rio, because they've boxed themselves into making nothing else make much sense as an alternative at this particular juncture.

·
Registered
22,514 Posts
R-Truth. He has actually proved himself to be a worthwhile main eventer after the success of a lukewarm PPV in Capitol Punishment, now he deserves to get the belt. Much more than that boring, overpushed motherfucker Alberto.

·
Registered
363 Posts
CM Punk needs a decent 4 months (at least) title run to solidify his face character. His whole anti-status-quo gimmick is done, they can now give him the title anytime. I'm pretty sure he will get it eventually.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts