Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Obviously we may not know the exact stats and figures but I've always been curious who were the top highest paid earner in WWE?

For me it would be Hogan, Austin, Rock, Cena and HBK. It was said by Jim Ross that Shawn got paid $750k for 4 years to sit at home until he came back in 2002.

·
Registered
7,585 Posts
Obviously we may not know the exact stats and figures but I've always been curious who were the top highest paid earner in WWE?

For me it would be Hogan, Austin, Rock, Cena and HBK. It was said by Jim Ross that Shawn got paid $750k for 4 years to sit at home until he came back in 2002.
1. Hogan - He once earned about $23M (1998) due to the various points he was getting on his WCW deal.
2. Austin - I recall reading that he once cleared $8M in 1998 on jusy merchandise. Add in PPV and ticket sales and he probably made an additional, unadjusted for inflation $4M.
3. Savage - Between gates, merch, and PPV revenue he probably made around $2M in 1988. That would put him at around $6M today
4. Roman Reigns - He apparently has the second highest current guarantee at $3.5M, plus merchandise
5. Brock Lesnar - He has been reported to be on a flat $5M guarantee.

·
it's a tarp!
8,558 Posts
Tyson Fury $15million dollars for one match
Bill Goldberg $1million dollars a match, more for Saudi
'Iron' Mike Tyson $3.5million dollars for WM appearance

The Rock, returned at WM27, WM28, WM29, WM30, WM31, and WM32
I'll bet he wasn't cheap

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
1. Hogan - He once earned about $23M (1998) due to the various points he was getting on his WCW deal.
2. Austin - I recall reading that he once cleared $8M in 1998 on jusy merchandise. Add in PPV and ticket sales and he probably made an additional, unadjusted for inflation $4M.
3. Savage - Between gates, merch, and PPV revenue he probably made around $2M in 1988. That would put him at around $6M today
4. Roman Reigns - He apparently has the second highest current guarantee at $3.5M, plus merchandise
5. Brock Lesnar - He has been reported to be on a flat $5M guarantee.
Brock is on 15 mil per year. Roman 10 mil.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
Reactions: jpickens

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
That's my list as well
The thing is, it's WWE history, and even pro athletes were not paid anywhere near what todays athletes make, in the 80s/early 90s. So cancel Hogan off that list. Austin made a boatload of money, but wasn't around when WWE salaries really started to escalate. The Rock left for Hollywood, and only made sporadic appearances. It has to be wrestlers who have performed for most of the last 20 years.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
I read Rock made $10M in 2000.
$15m with movie contracts. Till that point he was the highest earner ever in wrestling history. Without that movie money Austin was no. 1 earner(around $12m in 1998) and The Rock no. 2($10m in 2000).

However, recently Cena, Lesnar and Reigns have surpassed them(all earning close to $15m per annum).

Reactions: Thanks12

·
Registered
311 Posts
I posted the WCW numbers from 1996-2000 back in 2019. Since then, Wrestlers are paid much better. My guess would be Cena, Undertaker, Michaels, Kane, and Randy Orton would be in the top 10.
The list is interesting but doesn't show the real numbers. WCW financials were a total mess reportedly.
The best example here is Hulk Hogan. Who believes that he only made 477,113 dollars in 1997?
In May he signed the ludicrious Contract that gave him: 15% of the total PPV revenue for every PPV he appeared on, with a guaranteed minimum of 675,000 dollars. He also got 250,000 bonus for Bash at the Beach 1998 doing a 1.5 buyrate. So just the 5 PPVs he appeared on in 1998 after signing the contract, plus the buyrate bonus netted him 3,625,000 dollars. He was on 3 PPVs before, no way he made less than 1 million from those as well.
He got 25% of all ticket revenue for every Nitro, Thunder and House Show he appeared on. He was pretty much on every Nitro and a few Thunders.

The list says he made 40,147 dollars from Merchandise. His contract gave him 50% of every piece of Hogan branded merchandise being sold. 20,000 dollars for every month he's a member of the nWo (and that's a minimum, otherwise he got 25% of all non-talent specific, generic nWo merchandise being sold) and he got 100% of the revenue from WCW's hotline if he opted to record voice lines for it (he did). No way that was just 40k in 1998.

No way he made less than 10 million in 1998 (with inflation, that would be nearly 17 million today, to put that into perspective)

There are a couple other funny things on that financial sheet, like Curt Hennig making -31$ in 2000 from Merchandise. How does that happen? Did he actually have to pay WCW?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts