Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
15,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lay it all on the line people, who do you think could be a suitable replacement to fill John Cena's shoes if he was to take a break from wrestling? Someone that you see being a good poster boy for the promotion.

I personally cannot think of anybody.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Don't think there's a next Cena in the current roster. But it could be someone that comes right out of the blue.

·
THE ONE.
5,323 Posts
Me personally, Why are we sticking to trying to replace like for like. They didn't do it with Hogan as Bret Hart was completely different to him and the same thing happened when Austin took the reigns from him. I like the idea of CM Punk being that guy and I think he has the marketability to go along with what would be an slightly edgier product with more focus on Wrestling.

But to answer your question I think the WWE feel Sheamus is primed for that spot and within a year at tops whether we like it or not he's going to become that guy.

·
Banned
110 Posts
I don't want anyone to ever remotely resemble Cena or Hogan again. I think Rhodes/Ziggler could be Rock/Austin though...

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Given the short time period you've presented, the only real option would be Sheamus.
I don't think Punk is kid/casual friendly enough to fill the spot. Punk would definitely be featured more than he is now, but I doubt he'd be in the "Cena Spot."

·
Banned
9,951 Posts
Anyone. Cena is not that spectacular. There's a reason why he draws less than half the ratings Rock or Austin did.

Besides, there shouldn't be another Cena. The reason there are no other stars that draw is because in order to get Cena to draw they had to push him as the one and only important wrestler and star for about 7 years straight and glass ceiling a bunch of other great potential talents until Summer of Punk.

Reactions: Jobberwacky

·
Banned
110 Posts
Anyone. Cena is not that spectacular. There's a reason why he draws less than half the ratings Rock or Austin did.

Besides, there shouldn't be another Cena. The reason there are no other stars that draw is because in order to get Cena to draw they had to push him as the one and only important wrestler and star for about 7 years straight and glass ceiling a bunch of other great potential talents until Summer of Punk.
Exactly.

·
Registered
15,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I don't know if I fully agree with that, but you make a good argument. I think Cena IS spectacular though, that is a question of OPINION.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Me personally, Why are we sticking to trying to replace like for like. They didn't do it with Hogan as Bret Hart was completely different to him and the same thing happened when Austin took the reigns from him. I like the idea of CM Punk being that guy and I think he has the marketability to go along with what would be an slightly edgier product with more focus on Wrestling.

But to answer your question I think the WWE feel Sheamus is primed for that spot and within a year at tops whether we like it or not he's going to become that guy.
CM Punk will never be that guy.He doesn't have the look of a guy that can carry the company imo.

He doesn't carry himself well publicly either from what I have seen like calling people 'f-a-g-s' (yes I know it was kayfabe & he supports gay marriage but still not the cleverest of things to come out with while with a company supporting GLAAD). Or telling people to go kill themselves on twitter etc.

As much as I don't enjoy Cena, you would never catch him saying things like that. Punk is not right for WWE poster boy.

Oh & also the fact that he isn't actually that great in the ring & on the mic compared to about 10 others on the roster.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Given the short time period you've presented, the only real option would be Sheamus.
I don't think Punk is kid/casual friendly enough to fill the spot. Punk would definitely be featured more than he is now, but I doubt he'd be in the "Cena Spot."
You've obviously not seen all the kids at shows wearing Punk shirts. I don't see any kids wearing Sheamus shirts.

CM Punk will never be that guy.He doesn't have the look of a guy that can carry the company imo.

He doesn't carry himself well publicly either from what I have seen like calling people 'f-a-g-s' (yes I know it was kayfabe & he supports gay marriage but still not the cleverest of things to come out with while with a company supporting GLAAD). Or telling people to go kill themselves on twitter etc.

As much as I don't enjoy Cena, you would never catch him saying things like that. Punk is not right for WWE poster boy.

Oh & also the fact that he isn't actually that great in the ring & on the mic compared to about 10 others on the roster.
first off that's not a fact. Secondly, I'd love for you to give me the names of these 10 people who are better than Punk.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Nobody can be the next Cena for two reasons - nobody can be the #1 guy as long as he's still there, and it's in the same generation.

You've obviously not seen all the kids at shows wearing Punk shirts. I don't see any kids wearing Sheamus shirts.
But they do, some kids even dress up as him like it's Halloween.

·
Premium Member
18,186 Posts

And Im sure it has nothing to do with WWE being less popular as a sport in this day and age than it was when Austin and Rock were around amirite :side:

As for Punk he reminds me sort of a straight Edge Austin take no shit from no one kinda face. Not to the same level off course but that's the kinda way I see him right now.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I don't want anyone to ever remotely resemble Cena or Hogan again. I think Rhodes/Ziggler could be Rock/Austin though...
How are those two even remotely close to austin and rock. Both those guys has midcard writing all over them, cody is the only one out of the two with just some charisma and he clearly only have the look to play a cowardly heel, which he does great fui.
On the current roster I honestly don’t see any which I think I why they have not turned Cena heel. Punk and bryan as great as they are just don’t draw ratings. With the right booking I think skip(ryback) can be a big draw, but that is way down the line. If Cena gets injured I think either HHH or Batista has to return full time.

·
Banned
463 Posts
Lay it all on the line people, who do you think could be a suitable replacement to fill John Cena's shoes if he was to take a break from wrestling? Someone that you see being a good poster boy for the promotion.

I personally cannot think of anybody.
No, please not a other pussy good boy guy.

We need a badass that would be more popular with todays younger generation.

·
The One Who Knocks
5,341 Posts
Punk can be the top guy - he's already over enough and capable of moving enough merchandise - but he can't fill Cena's shoes as far as being kid friendly/charities/Make a Wish/that sort of thing. Sheamus can do the latter, but not the former. Maybe him and Punk can just split it?

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Its funny how people talk about Cena drawing half the ratings of Austin/Rock. When Rock came back, ratings didnt go up that much, if at all. Also it was a different time when those guys were on top. Wrestling was cool back then, it was just the way pop culture worked. Now its not. I dont even think the pope in a feud with Obama could draw much better ratings.

·
Banned
9,951 Posts
And Im sure it has nothing to do with WWE being less popular as a sport in this day and age than it was when Austin and Rock were around amirite :side:

Its not as popular because the product as a whole has declined in entertainment value. And Cena is the biggest aspect of the current product. The reason WWE was good back then was because they had a lot of guys who people liked. That were able to draw from their own charisma and talents. But now its just a bunch of force feeding until you either like the wrestler or you stop watching. Hence the numbers are down because there are no alternatives to Cena on the current product because he is the only guy they push.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts