Wrestling Forum banner

Who can pinpoint the exact moment the product became shit?

4976 Views 72 Replies 66 Participants Last post by  Certified G
I tuned out of WWE around the mid 2000's, before that point I thought it was decent enough. People who have been watching since Attitude Era and haven't stopped might be able to answer the question better, what episode or moment in WWE made you think that "yep this is shit now?"

EDIT: I'm not saying it's shit now. Right now is one of the few times since I tuned out they have got me coming back weekly and looking forward to RAW. But you cannot deny that the product was trash before 2013. If you do, you must be what Vince says and like everything he tells you to like.
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

· Banned
1,787 Posts
To me the last good year was 2006. Then once 2007 came along it started turning into shit when Benoit killed his family and then Linda Mcmahon went into politics in 2008 and the full watered down era was in affect and John Cena to this day is shoved down our throats as a fake wannabe marine.

· Registered
662 Posts
"Vince McMahon has bought WCW!"

· Banned
3,004 Posts
I personally stopped watching regularly somewhere around 07. Then completely stopped watching in 2008

I cant remember the exact reason. The show just felt different and that excitement wasnt there.

Reactions: AJ_Styles_P1

· Registered
116 Posts
I tuned out of WWE around the mid 2000's, before that point I thought it was decent enough. People who have been watching since Attitude Era and haven't stopped might be able to answer the question better, what episode or moment in WWE made you think that "yep this is shit now?"
Attitude Era sucked.

well now its quite the opposite of shit, it's the best its been in a long time
Yeap.

· Registered
516 Posts
After the tragedy of Chris Benoit. It really was a major blow to the WWE.
Understandably though. THe product is looking better now though

· Registered
2,133 Posts
WM21. Cena and Batista walk out champions and are shoved down our throats for years.

· Registered
17 Posts
I personally stopped watching regularly somewhere around 07. Then completely stopped watching in 2008

I cant remember the exact reason. The show just felt different and that excitement wasnt there.
I have exactly the same story. Just faded out of my life around 2007 and I started watching UFC instead.

I was at the gym one day in 2012 and was flicking through the channels on the running machine TV and I saw The Shield doing a promo (night after Survivor Series) and thought they had a great gimmick. Started watching WWE again from that point

1996 - 2007
2012 - current

· Registered
17 Posts
"Vince McMahon has bought WCW!"
Oh god, completely this.

As soon as that happened, there were the hopefuls who thought Vince would let Shane run WCW as a side-company and put them on something like tuesdays and thursdays to run alongside wwf. Then there were the realists who realised from that moment on, wrestling was pretty much fucked as a competition between other companies and the wwe - Vince basically used WCW as an excuse to say 'welp, that's this industry in my pocket without any chance of someone coming along and creating something to rival what I have.'

After that point, there was no need for wwe to even remotely give a shit about keeping the fans on side. It was either the bright lights of Raw, SD and PPV's monopolising the little interest TV as a whole has given wrestling as a sport, entertainment, or sports-entertainment, or some poorly-lit exhibition hall down the road featuring a main event between a wheezing asthmatic has-been and some kid spazzing on roid rage.

Let's face it, after the years it's been on tv, even TNA has never managed to get anywhere close to Vince.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.