Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love watching NXT. The talent is awesome. The matches, the story telling, the intensity, etc. is all great. This has got to be about the best wrestling going today. But I always end up wondering if any of these guys can really make it in the main roster?

As good as these guys are, I'm not sure many or any of them will have an easy time getting over the midcard.

Finn Balor - He has huge potential in terms of bringing back the pageantry of wrestling. Possibly the most interesting entrance since the days of the Undertaker. Great athlete. Great moveset. I think he's probably the most likely to get over. But he's also small like all of these NXT guys. He's a big personality in a little body and it's going to be challenging to get over the mid card.

Sami Zayn - This guy is amazing in the ring. The best of the best. Seems like a nice guy. I think he can be the best performer in the biz. But he's a little bland. I'm not sure if he can get over with that personality. Nothing stands out about him while everything stands out. He needs long matches to tell stories and I don't see him getting the time on the main roster and that might keep him from ever getting over. Perhaps he'll be another Ziggler with more talent. But he'll probably struggle on the mid card.

Tyler Breeze - I like this guy. He could go either way. Has a cocky personality and good at standing out, but I think he might be just another Fandango on the main roster.

Kevin Owens - Great talent. Great moveset. Superior intensity. But I worry he'll look too small on the main roster to be a legit bad ass. Maybe he can be the American version of Rusev and get over huge. But it might be hard making him a believable monster. Maybe he'll be a monster of the mid card. But I think he's ultimately going to struggle like Luke Harper.

Adrian Neville - Great wrestler, but a midget and without much gimmick to stand out. Super athlete, but I don't know how he gets over beyond some high spots. Without the right gimmick, I think he's peaked as a NXT performer.

Hideo Itami - Violent and intense little dude. Great move set. Supreme intensity. But I don't know how he gets over with his size and verbal skills holding him back. Seems like he can be the next DB in the ring, possibly better in ring performer. But I have no idea how he gets over with a generally American crowd?

Baron Corbin - All these super talents and Corbin doesn't come close in terms of wrestling ability. But he seems to fit the classic wrestler mold. If he had half the talent of Zayn, Itami, Balor, Owens, etc, he'd have huge potential, but he's no where close in terms of ability. But he's a guy with the size that probably has the best shot of being packaged for the main roster in a way to get over.

Women - Until the Divas consistently wrestle on the main roster, I don't see how anyone gets over. Perhaps Charlotte can help get the women time by using the connection to her dad and using Flair to get the women some spotlight.

In general, I see a lot of talent, but have no idea how most of these people will do any better than many of the NXT talents that have come before them. Most of these guys are destined for the mid card even though many have more upside than Bryan, Seth, etc.

It's almost like the WWE needs to keep NXT as it's own brand, expand it, put it on the road, and keep an overall brand split. NXT vs Raw/Smackdown. Perhaps NXT could replace Smackdown in some way. Bring over some of the main roster talent like Cesaro, Bryan, and really push NXT to compete against the main roster.

Then once you establish these guys in their own biz in front of bigger road crowds, then you can start sprinkling them into the main roster.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
tyler breeze is my safest bry. ideally steen and ballor wil too

·
Premium Member
5,189 Posts
Good post I agree OP, yesterday on another thread I said similar in that WWE needs to have a crossover show that highlights NXT (much like Superstars highlights SD/Raw) and has a testing ground of 2 matches between NXT and SD/RAW as this will be the added exposure on TV besides having potential future feuds pre-developed upon the star(s) transition from NXT onto the Main roster.

My pick for a Main Roster star would be Balor or Neville though Vince would go all for Baron Corbin!

·
Registered
11,565 Posts
I think you could put Finn Balor on Raw right now and slot him into the upper mid-card.

Probably the only guy with Wrestlemania Main Event potential is Baron Corbin but he also has very high bust potential.

·
Registered
8,509 Posts
Baron Corbin - All these super talents and Corbin doesn't come close in terms of wrestling ability. But he seems to fit the classic wrestler mold. If he had half the talent of Zayn, Itami, Balor, Owens, etc, he'd have huge potential, but he's no where close in terms of ability. But he's a guy with the size that probably has the best shot of being packaged for the main roster in a way to get over.
Corbin doesn't have 'less talent', he's been wrestling for 10 years less than the guys you mentioned. I'm sure the likes of Zayn and Owens weren't great either with only two years training and six months experience as a regular performer.

Agree with the rest of your assessment, apart from the fact that these guys absolutely do not have more upside than the likes of Bryan and Rollins. I cringe when I see people say this kind of thing, Rollins is a better wrestler, younger, better mic worker, better look, more charismatic than anyone on NXT and is already virtually a main event star in WWE at 28. Nobody on NXT even comes close to Rollins, or someone like Bryan who is a WM main eventer and the most over star of his generation. Be real.

And that bullshit about a brand split as well, fuck that.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Finn Balor is for sure ready for the main roster. His skill and over all ring presence is unmatched in WWE. If he could get over the size factor, which I believe he can he could easily be in the main event. Just imagine what his ring entrance would be like at wrestlemania would be like. Just amazing to think about.

·
Oh, What a Day! What A Lovely Day!
3,568 Posts
You could've saved a lot of time by just posting that you like NXT but you don't see any of them getting over because they're not tall enough.

Your opinion on why Sami might never get over the midcard is laughable. The guy is far from bland, you don't get the crowd to care about your story if you're a bland character with no personality. He's basically a taller version of Daniel Bryan with arguable better mic skills and IIRC that guy's is one of the most over guys right now.

Balor's height shouldn't be an issue either since it wasn't for guys like Bryan, Eddie, Ziggler and Jericho. Guy has a marketable look and probably one of the best entrances in the company right now, so i'll say the guy has a pretty good chance to get past midcard easily.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I think a lot of them will struggle to be main event singles guys but I still think a fair few of them could be top guys in other divisions if those divisions were booked right.

For example I said o another thread earlier that I think Zayn and Owens could be an over as fuck face tag team. I think Sheamus and Balor could be an over as fuck tag team. I think Barrett and Neville could be a great heel team.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Corbin doesn't have 'less talent', he's been wrestling for 10 years less than the guys you mentioned. I'm sure the likes of Zayn and Owens weren't great either with only two years training and six months experience as a regular performer.

Agree with the rest of your assessment, apart from the fact that these guys absolutely do not have more upside than the likes of Bryan and Rollins. I cringe when I see people say this kind of thing, Rollins is a better wrestler, younger, better mic worker, better look, more charismatic than anyone on NXT and is already virtually a main event star in WWE at 28. Nobody on NXT even comes close to Rollins, or someone like Bryan who is a WM main eventer and the most over star of his generation. Be real.

And that bullshit about a brand split as well, fuck that.
I get it with Corbin. Just commenting on his skill vs the others today. And if he develops, look out, Vince will be all over a guy like that.

I do think Finn has a higher ceiling overall vs Bryan/Seth because of his gimmick. I think he can be every bit as good in the ring as those guys, but he brings something extra special with his entrance/image. He's a throw back to wrestling being a spectacle and bigger than life. I don't think Seth/Bryan will ever have that image although they're both amazing talents.

We'll see on the others. Itami's kicks make Bryan's look soft for example. Zayn is so good in the ring, I don't think anyone comes close to his body of work. And I'm just talking pure in ring ability. There are of course gaps in all of these NXT guys that they'll have to overcome imho.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Finn Balor is for sure ready for the main roster. His skill and over all ring presence is unmatched in WWE. If he could get over the size factor, which I believe he can he could easily be in the main event. Just imagine what his ring entrance would be like at wrestlemania would be like. Just amazing to think about.
I agree. I'd like to see his WM entrance happen this year.

·
Banned
10,735 Posts
From what I've seen in their last special, Finn Balor, Zayn, Owens and Sasha Banks and that's pretty much it. Breeze is entertaining, but a midcarder in his current gimmick.

Sasha could potentially be the next AJ Lee. We'll see. Not that it matters in that shit division.

Zayn = Daniel Bryan

Owens is not your prototypical WWE wrestler, but there's something compelling about him. When he speaks, I listen. And he's better in the ring than one would think from looking at him.

Corbin sucks, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a big push ala Rybak or Reigns based on his size cause Vince's shriveled up, old dick gets hard whenever he see big guys.

Hideo is Asian. In WWE that means you go nowhere.

Neville sucks when he's talking, if his commentary on that last special is anything to go by.

Baylee has...something. I like her, and I find myself wanting to root for her. I think everyone wanted her to win the NXT women's title. But again, the divas division is shit so she'd go nowhere once she hit the main roster

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You could've saved a lot of time by just posting that you like NXT but you don't see any of them getting over because they're not tall enough.

Your opinion on why Sami might never get over the midcard is laughable. The guy is far from bland, you don't get the crowd to care about your story if you're a bland character with no personality. He's basically a taller version of Daniel Bryan with arguable better mic skills and IIRC that guy's is one of the most over guys right now.

Balor's height shouldn't be an issue either since it wasn't for guys like Bryan, Eddie, Ziggler and Jericho. Guy has a marketable look and probably one of the best entrances in the company right now, so i'll say the guy has a pretty good chance to get past midcard easily.
Sami is over in front of a small crowd and he gets a lot of spotlight and long matches. When he gets called up, he's going to get 5 min matches with next to no mic time and it's going to be hard to get over. I personally think Sami's got it all, but I don't see the 1 move that stands out to get him over to earn him time on the mic. His entrance and look is kinda bland/goofy. The question is how does he stand out enough to get the time he deserves to get over.

With Balor, he has enough gimmick to work with to instantly get over with the crowd and that will earn him time. Sami has nothing close, but I am more interested in Sami as a wrestler because I think he's significantly better.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think a lot of them will struggle to be main event singles guys but I still think a fair few of them could be top guys in other divisions if those divisions were booked right.

For example I said o another thread earlier that I think Zayn and Owens could be an over as fuck face tag team. I think Sheamus and Balor could be an over as fuck tag team. I think Barrett and Neville could be a great heel team.
Good points. I do think they need to somehow tie these guys into an existing talent in some way or put them in a faction a la the Shield or Wyatts to help them get over and make them relevant together in some way.

·
Registered
666 Posts
How will Finn Balor struggle to get past the midcard? His body paint makes him a unique attraction and one that paying fans will flock to see because it is unique. Not to mention his awesome wrestling skills and he ain't bad looking either. Guy could be a legit star, just depends on the booking.

Sami Zayn will get over no matter what in my opinion. He is just generally likable and plays the underdog babyface character better than anyone in WWE. Not to mention he is a great wrestler and can go on the mic when it counts. People love an underdog story and Zayn is the perfect one; he should have no trouble getting over.

I think with Tyler Breeze he could either flop or do quite well for himself due to his gimmick. I can definitely see him as a multi-time IC or US champ, but, him in the main event is questionable. All depends on how they book him as he plays his character perfectly and puts on great matches.

Kevin Owens can talk, can wrestle many different styles, has a great character, and a unique look. Hard to see why he would fail and Owens ain't that small either. When you see a guy with his build do so many variations of high-flying moves it would be hard not to be impressed. I personally think he has the most potential if he is booked on the main roster the way he is on NXT.

Not sure on how Neville will do on the main roster. At first, his awesome move set will get him over with crowds; but, I could see it losing appeal after awhile (hell, it already has in NXT with his declining crowd reactions as of late). He will definitely be a good midcard staple, but a main event star is pushing it for me.

They should just make Itami heel already. I think it could be a nice play on the foreigner heel cliche and his offense strikes me as something an asskicking heel would use. Also think he could benefit with being the leader of some sort of heel group; not sure what, though, it would definitely help cover up his lacking mic work if other good talkers accompanied him.

Not really impressed with Corbin so far. However, I acknowledge NXT is still developmental and Corbin is still ironing the kinks out. I think just being on TV with guys like Owens hurts him as they are so much more ready and it makes Corbin look bad in a sense. Still, he has a pretty good look and could be something one day if he works on his shortcomings (mic work, ring work).

As much as I am a fan of Sasha Banks and other girls in NXT, I have to be realistic and agree that until Vince starts taking the women's division more seriously I can't see them becoming big stars. Shame really, as it is such a waste of talent.

I think there are guys like Zayn, Balor, and Owens who will become stars already. Others like Itami and Corbin could happen; all just depends on how they are booked and if they can overcome their shortcomings in certain areas.

·
Leader of #TeamBAE
1,560 Posts
Balor is the Jeff Hardy this company has been waiting for for a LONG time. He's going to be great. Balor can step right into the main roster immediately. I can totally see a Finn Balor vs. Bray Wyatt feud happening at a Wrestlemania 2/3 years down the line from now. Whether Balor ever wins the WWEWHC -- that's another story. Never say never, but The Shield guys and Wyatt are next in line.

Zayn is going to be the next Dolph Ziggler. He is clearly going to have his role. He's never going to win the big one, but he'll consistently be involved in important mid-card and upper-card storylines. I can see them pairing up Owens and Zayn at some point on the main roster and going the Edge & Christian route to help get them over as legitimate best friends. There is no shame in having the Ziggler career and eventually having great moments such as the post-WM29 cash in and being the sole survivor for Team Cena at Survivor Series.

Itami/Neville are what they are. It's part of the reason this company needs to bring back the Cruiserweight Championship. At the same time, I can totally see Itami working as an awesome, old-school mid card heel who has a great run with the U.S. Championship like Rusev is doing now. The foreign superstar holding the U.S. Championship is always guaranteed for heat. Neville will not get over on the main roster and he should be a tag team guy.

I think Kevin Owens is a main event performer, and I believe he's going to get there quickly. Despite people knocking his look, he has a great look. Not everybody has ever had the prototypical look that Hogan, Warrior, Rock, Cena and Orton had. Smaller guys like Savage, Bret, Austin (people forget he wasn't BIG), as well as performers like Bryan recently have been able to make their mark. Owens will bulk up and tone his body a bit in his run in NXT. He's supposed to be a throwback to the mauler days. Owens is BY FAR Triple H's favorite because he's the total package. Owens is going to be a guy who headlines multiple PPVs with the likes of Reigns, Ambrose, Rollins, Wyatt, Bryan (maybe) Ziggler and Barrett if they ever get there.

I think we're entering another boom for the Divas. I think the Bellas are the last of the "plastics" (so to speak) getting run with the belt. Recently, AJ and Paige have gotten over quickly and have been the favorite of the crowds as opposed to Kelly Kelly etc. I think Sasha Banks has everything it takes to be the most over women's performer IN THE WORLD. She has the look, she lives her look, she has the charisma.
After watching the four way, it sealed the deal for me. It seems like despite how much the crowd would love to see her face, she won't do it and she continues to portray a phenomenal heel. Also, Banks' gimmick, mannerisms, references etc. are absolutely perfect. She is going to show up on the main roster, look the part, play the part and relate to a LARGE portion of the audience almost immediately.
I think Becky and Bayley will be fine. Becky is talented, but she needs a character. I wouldn't be opposed to bringing her up and pairing her with Sheamus. Despite what people will do and bitch/moan, it will get her over a LOT quicker. Bayley is the Bryan/Cena/Zayn of NXT. She will get over with little girls immediately and eventually people will see her talent and she'll slowly get over. Charlotte is another Natalya for me. She'll carve out a nice spot for herself, but she won't be as big of a success as they envision her being.

Other notes:
Bring up Enzo, Cass and Carmella EXACTLY how they are. They're one of the most immensely talented things about NXT. They're so good. Let them do the jobber thing for awhile, but eventually try and push Enzo on his own the same way they've been pushing Miz. He just has that ability on the mic.

Corbin has "the look," but who knows if he is Luke Harper or freaking Mordecai. I think Corbin comes up to the main roster, gets the "monster" push and eventually gets lost in the shuffle like Harper, but both remain relatively relevant.

Tyler Breeze, Adam Rose and Fandango need to be a stable. They just need to. They're the same character. Make them feud with The New Day. I miss the Attitude Era's 50 billion stables. stables are good.

·
Phantom Thief
17,449 Posts
Zayn is going to be the next Dolph Ziggler. He is clearly going to have his role. He's never going to win the big one, but he'll consistently be involved in important mid-card and upper-card storylines. I can see them pairing up Owens and Zayn at some point on the main roster and going the Edge & Christian route to help get them over as legitimate best friends. There is no shame in having the Ziggler career and eventually having great moments such as the post-WM29 cash in and being the sole survivor for Team Cena at Survivor Series.
Would be a massive waste of potential. I don't think Triple H would stand for it.

·
Premium Member
6,589 Posts
Zayn and Owens for sure, Balor and Neville yes though I believe they will struggle a little more then Zayn and Owens but they all will make a big splash on the main roster no doubt.

Also Charlotte is inevitably gonna get the call up and I think it will be soon, I think she will be ok but all depends on the booking also.

Unfortunately I don't see Breeze getting far with that gimmick and even more unfortunate is the fact I can't see Itami doing much either.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Zayn Malik.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts