Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just thinking, who came up with the name 'The Rock'? It's kind of an odd name choice for a time where they tried to move away from odd gimmicks, isn't it? It's very gimmicky for a rather non-gimmicky wrestler. Sure, The Rock was super arrogant which of course is a gimmick but it's not like he walked around in a giant rock suit. You would think a cool sounding 'normal' name would fit this persona better.

Sure, it worked out fine for him (to say the least) but I was just thinking. What's your take on this?

·
Registered
8,509 Posts
^ The Don Muraco answer was a joke.

Rock was originally Rocky Maivia (a combination of his father Rocky Johnson and his grandfather Peter Maivia), and when he turned heel he started referring to himself as 'The Rock' to put himself over as an arrogant douchebag, similar to how Mike Mizanin calls himself 'The Miz'. 'The Rock' is short for Rocky, not a literal stone.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Hilarious post. I can't tell if you are being serious. We also don't see Brock Lesnar wearing a beast costume nor Randy Orton wearing a viper costume.

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
^ The Don Muraco answer was a joke.

Rock was originally Rocky Maivia (a combination of his father Rocky Johnson and his grandfather Peter Maivia), and when he turned heel he started referring to himself as 'The Rock' to put himself over as an arrogant douchebag, similar to how Mike Mizanin calls himself 'The Miz'. 'The Rock' is short for Rocky, not a literal stone.
Bingo.

It just fit the character at the time.

As well, I don't think nicknames like this are bad. I know you mentioned trying to escape the odd gimmicks, but it wasn't him coming out dressed as a Rock beating up jackhammers, it was just The Rock. Just like Stone Cold wasn't a guy who was frozen.

The Game didn't come out and play with himself. Thankfully.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hilarious post. I can't tell if you are being serious. We also don't see Brock Lesnar wearing a beast costume nor Randy Orton wearing a viper costume.
Well, I was half serious there, ok? And according to that logic, Orton has to be called The Viper and not Randy Orton. And Brock Lesnar isn't The Beast. Those are nicknames.

The Rock just stands out from the rest during that era. Especially amongst the main event guys. I'm aware that he was called Rocky Maivia before but I just didn't think it was a variation of his father's name.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bingo.

It just fit the character at the time.

As well, I don't think nicknames like this are bad. I know you mentioned trying to escape the odd gimmicks, but it wasn't him coming out dressed as a Rock beating up jackhammers, it was just The Rock. Just like Stone Cold wasn't a guy who was frozen.

The Game didn't come out and play with himself. Thankfully.
I see your point there. It's just a little odd because 'The Rock' wasn't just a nickname. It became his name. There's just this tension (I guess) between the gimmicks of the past and Dwayne Johnson portraying an arrogant character that I thought was interesting.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts