Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For me the top best of all time announcer is Gordon Solie, some of you may never had seen him in action but you should look up some of his videos if you haven't already.

After him it's Gorilla Monsoon with Boby The Brain or Gorilla with Jesse The Body. They played off each other great. I liked Jim Ross too. I also like Joey Styles on ECW always saying OH MY GOD!! That's classic. It doens't seem like current announcers from any promotion are as good sadly, but that's just my opinion.

All of them are announcing legends imo.

·
Banned
3,066 Posts
In no order, the top 6 that enter my head are:

J.R.
Joey Styles
Bobby Heenan
Jesse Ventura
Gorilla Monsoon
Paul Heyman

·
FAKE HAPPY
12,532 Posts
Announce teams:
Bobby Heenan & Gorilla Monsoon
Jerry Lawler & Jim Ross

Single announcers:
Bobby Heenan
Jesse Ventura
Jerry Lawler
Jim Ross
Tazz
Booker T
CM Punk (he was given commentator role in 2011, when he was injured and he did some pretty good stuff)

·
Registered
557 Posts
Play-by-play:
1. Gordon Solie
2. Jim Ross
3. Joey Styles (only when he was by himself really)
4. Vince McMahon
5. Gorilla Monsoon
Honorable mention: Mike Hogewood (fuck the haters, this guy was perfect)

Color commentary:
1. Bobby Heenan
2. Jerry Lawler
3. Jesse Ventura
Honorable mention: Roddy Piper for his work on Summer Slam '91, really getting the Virgil angle over

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Joey Styles, Bobby Heenan and Paul Heyman. All fantastic. Everyone else pretty much sucks in comparison to those three.

·
I'M A WOLF BEAST GUY
5,247 Posts
J.R., Lance Russell and Gordon Solie are probably the best in a traditional sense.

But I personally give the edge to Joey Styles. He made ECW.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Yeah, Lance Russell, Joey Styles, Excalibur, the '90s AJPW guy whose name escapes me right now ("BACK DUROP DRIIIIVAAAAAAAAAH!!!), Arturo Rivera (? - 1990s AAA: "Los rudos, los rudos, los ruuuuuuuuuuuuudos!").

·
FAKE HAPPY
12,532 Posts
Gordon Solie was great. I didn't see a lot of matches, which he commented, but that line ''Yes, sir, we promise you a great main event here today...''

1 - 19 of 19 Posts