Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Again debating with my brother about Cena and how shitty he is, and we started debating wether or not he is an elite on the mic. My brother believes he is elite, while I don't at all. I Made this thread as soon as he said he thinks that Cena was better than Edge on the mic because I think that's absolutely ridiculous and bullshit as hell, edge was 10 times better.

Anyways since comparison threads aren't allowed apparently, I wanted your take on who you believe are the top 5 mic workers of the last 10 years or so (The John Cena Era)

I've got:

- CM Punk
- Eddie Guerrero
- Edge
- Triple H evolution days (amazing heel promos)
- Chris Jericho

EDIT: I see many people putting the obvious Paul Heyman and Mick Foley....I meant actual wrestlers and since Foley was active in 99 and Heyman was a manager I didn't include them, or else they would've been top 3 alongside Jericho!!

·
Registered
10,028 Posts
1. Chris Jericho
2. Paul Heyman
3. Cm Punk
4. Zeb Colter
5. John Cena.

Honorable mentions:

Eddie, Edge, and Sandow

·
Since Day One
9,907 Posts
So, from 2003 to 2013 then? Let me see:

5. Edge
4. CM Punk
3. Eddie Guerrero
2. John Cena
1. Chris Jericho

This is what I'm going with.

Honorable mentions to JBL, Triple H, Kurt Angle, Paul Heyman, and Shawn Michaels.

EDIT: I'm taking off part-timers like The Rock. Chris Jericho stays in for actually wrestling more than once or twice a year.

·
Ho!
19,009 Posts
1) Heyman
2) Foley
3) Jericho
4) Punk
5) Edge

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jericho, Eddie, Edge, Cena and JBL
You seriously think Cena is better than CM Punk??

To anyone mentioning Cena, how can you get through those TERRIBLEEEE jokes every single segment?!?

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Does Foley count? Because some of his mic work in 04 and 06 is fire and some of the best mic work I've ever seen. Hell, even in that segment with Edge in 08, he did a tremendous job. He's not really a full time performer in this time period tho so I guess I understand if he's excluded. He'd be #1 on the list otherwise.

1) Chris Jericho
2) Paul Heyman
3) JBL
4) Edge
5) CM Punk

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Since Day One
9,907 Posts
Cena's content is bad.

His mic work isn't.

He articulates what he says very well and his delivery is good.

The same pretty much goes for Punk imo.
This. As long as he's not telling corny jokes, Cena doesn't come across as phony or fake with his delivery. Plus, seeing as this is thread considers 2003 to 2013, Thuganomics Cena was pretty damn entertaining with his raps and put-downs.

·
Registered
22,514 Posts
You seriously think Cena is better than CM Punk??

To anyone mentioning Cena, how can you get through those TERRIBLEEEE jokes every single segment?!?
Of course. Punk suffers from the Triple H syndrome which is when he talks waaaaay too much for waaaaay too long and it just puts me to sleep. Cena's content in his promos is shit due to his character but that doesn't take away from his natural ability to cut a promo with the very best when he's all business. He doesn't botch a line (don't think I've ever seen it happen with him tbh), his delivery is on point and he keeps your attention.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts