Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This isn't as big an issue as it use to be, but I always use to hear people say "TNA should push the TNA originals" and how the TNA originals weren't getting enough attention. Some people would even say "TNA should push the home grown talent instead of WWE rejects."

First of all, TNA didn't have a school or any type of developmental till recently and trust me, if you saw some of that talent, you wouldn't want it anywhere near TNA (OVW, I'm looking at you.) But as for TNA Originals, it's not like any of them came up through a TNA farm system or something. Most of the people on TNA's first PPV's were people from WCW who didn't go to WWE after it was bought, like AJ Styles and James Storm(fitting how they were at the front of the ramp when Sting was announced first inductee.)

But other then Styles/Storm, there isn't really any other relatively young wrestler in TNA (Amazing Red might of been on first PPV, and he's come and gone a few times) who was their for the first ever PPV. Jeff Jarrett was their, but I don't think many are talking about him when they say "Push the young TNA originals!"

Now the inception of the company was in 2002, so if you want to consider that original, Christopher Daniels joined sometime that year. But Daniels had already competed for WCW/WWE/ECW before ever joining TNA.

As for 2003, TNA saw the debut of WCW Legend Sting whose become a mainstay. Mr Anderson also wrestled a few times for TNA that year, but contract negotiations broke down. And in 2004, Jeff Hardy began his first 2 year sting with TNA.

During 03-04 we also saw debuts from the likes of Chris Sabin(03), Alex Shelley(04), Bobby Roode(04), Kazarian (03) In 05, we saw Samoa Joe. We didn't see Matt Morgan till 07, but I believe some consider him a TNA original even though he was in WWE before he was ever in TNA. As were most of these guys who've wrestled for WWE whether before or after their TNA debuts.

Anyway, who are the TNA Originals? And is it less about when someone started in TNA and more about a Kliq-ish sort of group in TNA that sticks together politically?

*Abyss was on the first show but I don't think he wrestled again till 2003. He's a guy I think really gets underrated as far as his TNA career and worth have been. When all is said and done, futur HOF'er.

·
Registered
639 Posts
When people say TNA "originals" or "homegrown talent" they mean the guys who have made their name in TNA.The guys who are more famous for their time in TNA than in any other company.Guys like AJ Styles, Christopher Daniels, Samoa Joe, The MCMG, James Storm, Bobby Roode, etc.Some people will argue that some of the guys looked at as TNA originals are more famous for their time in companies like ROH and that's a fair argument.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
TNA also has guys like Magnus, Robbie E, Robbie T, Crimson, Gunner who are mostly known for their TNA time.

The ex WWE thing imo only appiles to guys who had major super stardom there.. like Angle/ Hardy maybe Anderson cause he basically has the same damn gimmick. I do count Bubba but he reinvented himself as Bully Ray and is better then ever.

I don't like people talking down the WWE guys cause alot of them have helped TNA..

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't like people talking down the WWE guys cause alot of them have helped TNA..
Yup.

I just find the whole thing to be bullshit and hypocritical. And how can you knock a guy just because he has gained popularity somewhere else? It's not like other guys weren't given the same opportunity with WWE. I like a guy who comes to TNA, instead of those guys whose egos are so damn big they think they are better then TNA and only a WWE contract will do.

·
Registered
10,124 Posts
Is stone cold steve austin a WWE original? in theory no but we all think he is.

Then there's the ROH talent explosion, I see samoa joe as a ROH original not a TNA original.

·
Banned
1,678 Posts
Short answer:

Anyone in TNA who wasn't a major player in any of the big leagues (WWF/E, WCW, & ECW).
Not true. Guys like Robbie E? Robbie T?

·
Banned
15,929 Posts
Styles, Daniels, Jarrett, Storm, Abyss.

·
Registered
708 Posts
This isn't as big an issue as it use to be, but I always use to hear people say "TNA should push the TNA originals" and how the TNA originals weren't getting enough attention. Some people would even say "TNA should push the home grown talent instead of WWE rejects."
It isnt a huge problem now but back in the days of MEM only people TNA would put in ME for the most part was guys like Angle, and Sting and former WWE or WCW stars in their 40s. Or late 30s.

·
Registered
10,124 Posts
Just look at late 2010 ppvs... it was a sick combination of hardy, anderson, rvd, sting and angle all the time.

Even the few original talent that got the world title like aj and joe got their reign booked like shit.
Joe character was completely destroyed by nash and bob bam dam squashed AJ on free tv in a couple of minutes.

Roode/Storm were the first originals to get a chance to shine, if joe had the same spot roode is getting today back in 2007 by now impact would be getting 1.5's instead of 1.0's.

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
When people say "TNA Originals" They are talking about the guys who are not former WCW/ECW/WWE employees. Guys who didn't have their big break on national TV and international PPV until TNA signed them. ROH is pretty famous and has a good name, but its still the indies.

Styles, Daniels, Sabin, Abyss, Storm, Harris, and Roode are some of the originals. Guys like Petey Williams, Monty Brown, Crimson, and Gunner are others.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Guys that came from the indies and made their names in TNA. Guys like Joe, AJ, Storm, Roode, etc...these types.

Stars but only because they became stars in TNA.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Do you want to know people that are still there or people that have come and go?

Still there would be: JJ, Styles, Kaz, Tracci Brooks,Gail Kim, Madison, Angelina Love, Velvet Skye, Daniels, Joe, Storm, Roode, Eric Young, Abyss, MCMG, Doug Williams to an extent,

·
Banned
1,565 Posts
Just look at late 2010 ppvs... it was a sick combination of hardy, anderson, rvd, sting and angle all the time.

Even the few original talent that got the world title like aj and joe got their reign booked like shit.
Joe character was completely destroyed by nash and bob bam dam squashed AJ on free tv in a couple of minutes.

Roode/Storm were the first originals to get a chance to shine, if joe had the same spot roode is getting today back in 2007 by now impact would be getting 1.5's instead of 1.0's.
No it wouldnt.

·
Registered
10,124 Posts
No it wouldnt.
Joe was over as fuck in 06/07, his feud with angle is the company record in term of ppv buys.

I have no doubts that ROH samoa joe with the right booking would take TNA to another level brother.

·
Congratulations, you played yourself
9,528 Posts
Styles
Jarrett
Daniels
Kaz
Roode
Storm
Young
Abyss
Sting
Joe
Sabin
Aries

Those guys. And I know some of them have been in ROH but thats like saying Steve Austin wasn't a WWE guy because he was in WCW. For instance I consider Bully Ray a TNA guy, and Kurt Angle a TNA guy. I haven't looked at them as WWE guys for a long time.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Mickie James is a TNA original.

To me a TNA original is some one who was there on the first show.

Now TNA homegrown is different then TNA original.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts