Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Who do you think are the most improved wrestlers this year? Well, there are several wrestlers whom i think have improved a lot this year.

1. The Miz. I think this is the obvious one. He succesfully transformed from the "Chick Magnet" persona to a darker, more serious side of The Miz, in a pretty short period time, and he's adapting with his new character very fast, which kinda surprised me, i always thought he was trash even during his tag team run with Morrison, but i like his new character this year, he's also stepped up his game on the mic, he's cut a lot of great memorable promos this year like the one in his feud with MVP and the one from SummerSlam, and also when he gave a pep talk and showed a tough love to Daniel Bryan on NXT backstage, etc etc. In the ring he's still mediocre but i think he's getting a lot better since last year, he even managed to put on one of the best matches of this year with Bryan. So yeah he succesfully converted me to become a fan, not a big one, but i don't think he's a trash now.

2. Chris Masters. This is the same wrestler who got "You can't wrestle!" chants when he made his return on Raw after getting rehired, but this year he's been improving a alot in the ring and he's been a part of a lot of great wrestling matches on Superstars. I respect him for trying hard to improve and succesfully turn a lot of people's opinions around.

3. The Bellas. This one caught me by surprise, they have improved a lot as wrestlers, especially Nikki Bella, she's also done a great job on portraying an evil twin character on NXT and on Raw last monday, i know she was a heel when she's a valet for Miz and Morrison but this time she's done more convincing job and she seems more comfortable at portraying it. I can't believe i'm saying this but i'm actually entertained by The Bellas.

4. Dolph Ziggler. Last year i never thought highly of Ziggler. I know he's a good wrestler and all, his matches with Rey were great but overall he never really impressed me, he just lacked something that could make me care about him. His "My name is Dolph Ziggler" gimmick was just pointless and his mic work did nothing to me, even when he got rid of that gimmick it's still hard for me to care about him because...well, i don't know, his whole presence just screamed midcarder for life, to me he's just kind of there. But he completely turned my opinion around this year, since he won the IC title he slowly won me over, although character-wise there is not much difference from last year, i think he started to show his full potential this year, he shows great chemistry with Vickie as couple, even better than his relationship with Maria last year, his feud with Kofi was so intense and physical, that was a really great feud despite the lack of mic time, they told all the story in the ring, their matches were very enjoyable to watch. He's also great at getting the best out of his opponents, heck, he even could manage to have a great match with 2010-Edge, and also that night on Raw when he read a love poem for Vickie he did a really great job, which totally caught me by surprise, i think he sounds a lot more comfortable on the mic now, then we got the series of MOTYCs from Ziggler/Bryan feud which also surprised me because they never wrestled each other before, and he also had another great match with Kaval at SS. I also love the way he carries himself up as IC champion, he makes both himself and the title look important, he's totally convinced me he can be a good main eventer one day.

5. Sheamus. All hail King Sheamus. When he started on ECW honestly he's not that impressive, the only part that stood out from him was his look, his feud with Shelton and Goldust kinda put me to sleep, even i didn't like his short feud with Jamie Noble, and his WWE title win was very rushed and undeserving. But he started to win me over after his feud with Triple H, and his second reign was a lot better than his first, his promo has gotten a lot better (his segment with Vince McMahon after he won the WWE title was funny) and despite the chickenshit character booking i think he did a great job as champion at that time, he still looked like a strong champion with all the destructive sneak attacks. He's also had a lot of great matches with anyone since then, his matches with Orton and Morrison are all good despite the clashing of different styles. He's managed to step it up when he's trusted to get in the spotlight so i kinda respect him for that.

I want to mention Cody Rhodes, but i think he's always been full with potential, it's just he's never been given a chance to develop his own character during his Raw run, so when he got drafted to Smackdown he totally ran with the ball when he's given the chance to show what he has.

Reactions: Joel

·
Premium Member
19,338 Posts
Ted Dibiase...

oh wait, nevermind that's laughable. :lmao

Poor Teddy.

I guess I'd have to give it to Miz. He has improved tremendously but he has a long way to go to be a complete talent.

·
Follower of Lockeism
13,482 Posts
This year? I don't see that The Miz has improved at all this year. He improved last year and stalled, if anything actually, his promos have gotten worse over this year. I have no problem admitting he was most improved last year, but this year, I don't see any change to be honest.

I would say Cody Rhodes has improved a lot, going from a generic heel, changing his gimmick and it's working very well in my opinion. Also Sheamus has improved a lot. Since his feud with Trips this year, he gotten better and better. So I would say Sheamus and Cody.

Reactions: Don Draper

·
Registered
26 Posts
For me you can't look past The Miz and Dolph , The Miz is pretty self explanatory, Ziggler I never thought would amount more than a midcard talent but suddenly he has the potential to go on and be one of the top performers I think. 2011 could be a big year for him.

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
Rhodes and Miz. Complete turn-around from last year. It's incredible.

Masters has improved as well, but creative really screwed up his Masterpiece gimmick. He's gotta get it back.

·
Banned
5,663 Posts
This year? I don't see that The Miz has improved at all this year. He improved last year and stalled, if anything actually, his promos have gotten worse over this year. I have no problem admitting he was most improved last year, but this year, I don't see any change to be honest.
This pretty much.

I'd say The Most Improved would be Sheamus by a country mile.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Can we have a least improved/terrible on the mic/no charisma award and give it to Randy Orton.

If Mark Henry brings in the ratings, Randy Orton does the exact opposite.

Holy shit does Randy need to step his shit up

·
Asuka
96,572 Posts
Sheamus hasn't improved at all, he's the same piece of crap he was last year. The only difference is, people have started to jump on his bandwagon now that they've gotten used to him. Why, I can't imagine, but the IWC picks some strange favourites sometimes.

I'm gonna say Rhodes, but not because he's any good. Only because last year, he was completely unwatchable and now he's watchable, but not worth watching. Big contrast, but still not good enough.

·
Banned
3,560 Posts
Can we have a least improved/terrible on the mic/no charisma award and give it to Randy Orton.

If Mark Henry brings in the ratings, Randy Orton does the exact opposite.

Holy shit does Randy need to step his shit up
And yet Orton is the most over in the WWE.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Sheamus hasn't improved at all, he's the same piece of crap he was last year. The only difference is, people have started to jump on his bandwagon now that they've gotten used to him. Why, I can't imagine, but the IWC picks some strange favourites sometimes.

I'm gonna say Rhodes, but not because he's any good. Only because last year, he was completely unwatchable and now he's watchable, but not worth watching. Big contrast, but still not good enough.
Pyro you are so hard on some guys. Cody has definitely stepped his game up dramatically. Compare with Teddy boy. Ted kept his same gimic practically while Rhodes has the dashing gimic. He has in ring flare and matches his mic skills and in ring abilities. He will never be credible with his girly man body but he has made leaps and bounds over his partners.

·
Banned
4,921 Posts
I don't think anyone's really improved since last year, they just get booked better. They still have the same amount of talent as last year.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Definately The Miz. Has a lot of charisma and proved that he belongs at the top. His wrestling skills are much better then one year ago and he has all the charisma and mic time to stay a big time player in the WWE.

·
Banned
15,929 Posts
Dolph Ziggler

·
Asuka
96,572 Posts
Pyro you are so hard on some guys. Cody has definitely stepped his game up dramatically. Compare with Teddy boy. Ted kept his same gimic practically while Rhodes has the dashing gimic. He has in ring flare and matches his mic skills and in ring abilities. He will never be credible with his girly man body but he has made leaps and bounds over his partners.
I rate people the way they deserve to be rated. If that's considered harsh, then so be it. I can't help that Rhodes doesn't impress me. He went from terrible to mediocre, be thankful I gave him that much. That's a LOT coming from me.

Comparing him to Ted jr means nothing. Next to that worthless hack, everybody on the entire roster looks like solid gold.

·
This Is Why We Can't Have Nice Things
8,661 Posts
The Miz hasn't improved at all since last year and in fact his mic skills have gotten worse. Just because you put belts on a guy doesn't mean he improved. I am going to take this seriously now since most people refuse to.

Jack Swagger - His mic skills are not good but his World Title run was decent and during the summer his mean streak was great. I really wish they would not have dropped his push with that so quickly.

Cody Rhodes - When Legacy split I thought Dibiase would be the rising talent but I was wrong. Cody is really looking good and an IC Title run or a move to Raw would be great to see.

John Morrison - He is my #1 pick here and he is on the cusp of greatness. Not even his haters can deny that this guy is extremely over right now. He has pulled some of the best matches out of Sheamus we have seen and has even gotten his mic skills from awful to just not that good. He is currently the most exciting wrestler in the ring except for Danielson. He could be a World Champion within a year easily if they do it right.

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,155 Posts
The Miz: For one, the "locker room" promo was on January 4 of this year, and for many wrestling critics/web denizens and for the fans at large, it was his "Austin: 316"/"You said, 'Die, Rocky, die!'"/"I am the fucking Game"; it singlehandedly elevated Miz in the eyes of fans. You could feel him climb the card as the minutes and seconds ticked during that promo. WWE entrusted him to be the anchor for the first two seasons of NXT, be the entranceway for both Daniel Bryan in one of the best feuds of the year and Alex Riley as his bodyguard/cheerleader/apprentice. In at least one way--enhancing his own image and making it rub off on others from the fans' perspective--he's definitely improved dramatically in 2010.

Sheamus: He gave Randy Orton his best matches of the year by a country mile. He gave great, multifacted promos. He became established as a long-term main event player for years and years to come. Fans are giving him mixed reactions, one of the key signs of being embraced. Most here would not have foreseen this kind of dramatic improvement a year ago right now when he was just about to win his first WWE Championship. Watching his work in IWW and FCW in particular, his improvement in 2010 has been positively immense.

"Dashing" Cody Rhodes: As has been said, perhaps he always possessed the raw ability to perform at this level but was never given the opportunity to do so. Still needs to get over a hurdle or two and find a sound rivalry but the foundation has certainly been laid for great things in the near future.

Chris Masters: Once horrible, he's now one of WWE's best undercard workers. The face turn was what the doctor ordered, as his babyface in-ring work is among the best in the company right now. Great at selling limbs, his fluidity in the ring has become noteworthy against many opponents, primarily showcased on Superstars, though he seems to be on the brink of a well-earned midcard push.

Dolph Ziggler: He went from being a solid worker to a borderline great one in the midcard, putting on strong matches with a variety of opponents--Kane, Christian, Kofi Kingston, Rey Mysterio, Daniel Bryan--keeping up with Danielson in the match that was his in-ring coming out party at Bragging Rights. His chase of the Intercontinental Championship restored the championship's prestige and highlighted it as well. His relationship with Vickie has brought out more versatility and adroitness in his character and mic work, which is where he needed the most improvement in 2010.

Drew McIntyre: In the past seven months he's become one of Smackdown's standout workers. His series with Kofi Kingston in late spring/early summer was terrific for both men; his tripartite feud with Matt Hardy, Teddy Long and Kofi Kingston was the highlight of his career in WWE thus far. Has put on some excellent matches with workers as diverse as Chris Masters, Kaval, Cody Rhodes and many others.

Layla: Still not the best diva in the ring, she's made great strides.

Bella Twins: They were good in '09, but I like the OP's points about them in any event.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts