Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Likes wrestling....
8,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am going to admit this is not my strong suit, but I have watched a lot of Puroresu.

I just love the "talk".

From my perception and knowledge of history.....here are my top twenty five. Looking forward to input.

1. Rikidozan
2. The Super Intelligent Destroyer
3. Stan Hansen
4. Vader
5. Scott Norton
6. Andre
7. Bruiser Brody
8. Dr Death Steve Williams
9. Karl Gotch
10. Gary Albright
11. The Road Warriors
12. Terry Funk
13. The Stiener Brothers
14. Johnny Ace
15. Hulk Hogan
17. Tiger Jeet Singh
18. Abdullah the Butcher
19. Dynamite Kid
20. Terry Gordy
21. Eddie Guerrero
22..Dory Funk Jr
23.Chris Benoit
24. Mil Mascaras
25. Masked Superstar

·
Do they have Krusty's Partially Gelatinated, Non-D
2,584 Posts
Glad to see you included Hogan in this list as well! I was going to mention him.

Are you leaving one of your favourites off all time off this list? Masked Superstar!

·
Likes wrestling....
8,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
For sure! OMG!

Dude I went to a wrestling convention back in like 2007 and the Japanese fans there were all over Superstar.

You are right. BM please post more you are so right.

·
Do they have Krusty's Partially Gelatinated, Non-D
2,584 Posts
Im trying to post more!

I was upset with the Classics section for a while, but it’s getting back to what made me love it in the past.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Masa Chono! I thought he was Hawaiian but was actually from Seattle

Harley Race? Ive probably go Dan Spivey over Johhny Ace

Two of my fellow countrymen Billy Robinson and Rollerball Rocco

Great topic BTW

·
#1 Somamaniac
13,625 Posts
It's Stan Hansen. He's maybe the second best wrestler ever - bell to bell, character work, etc. Has a huge legacy in Japan. Had the longevity. He might not have Destoryer vs Baba TV numbers but I think his legacy is still just as strong through other means. Terry Funk ain't a bad shout either but I'll still go with Hansen.

Also, I'd count Rikidozan as Japanese because he was considered as such at the time (His Korean background wasn't found out until he was dead so it counts for me and most people.). Otherwise you'd have to include Korean born Riki Choshu and Akira Maeda.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I would put Karl Gotch right behind Rikidozan, both have been a massive influence on puroresu as a whole, not just during their career.

I don't think any non japanese wrestler had the level of importance for puroresu of those 2 guys.

·
NBA
4,144 Posts
Masa Chono! I thought he was Hawaiian but was actually from Seattle

Harley Race? Ive probably go Dan Spivey over Johhny Ace

Two of my fellow countrymen Billy Robinson and Rollerball Rocco

Great topic BTW

Tbf, Masa Chono should count as Japanese at this point. The dude moved back to japan in his early teens to the point he has trouble speaking English. As for Rikidozan, not only he was billed as Japanese throughout his life, but his family moved to Japan when he was like 12 or so.

Reactions: GL and Miccasx

·
Likes wrestling....
8,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think Super Intelligent Destroyer is getting overlooked here for how important he was.

·
Registered
7,865 Posts
Steiners were great in Japan. 'Extra Stiff Mode' which for them was quite something.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Few others deserving of a mention around the Gary Albright/Johhny Ace era and level- The Malenkos, Dan Kroffat, Doug Furnas, Joel Deaton

Maybe a greatest Luchadors in Puroresu thread in the future?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts