Wrestling Forum banner

Which WWE wrestler today can bring in casual fans?

1111 20
Which WWE wrestlers today can bring in casual fans? Tarp is still running wild in WWE and cover up those empty seats.

Are there any wrestlers today that can bring in the casual fanbase and make WWE grow again?

I think the most successful in bringing in casual fans was Hulk Hogan. Back in the day you saw young kids on their daddys shoulders. And you could see 70-years ladys screaming. Hell, all kind of demographics were there. Because Hulk Hogan connected with everyone. He just had that something that connected with the fans and made them emotional invested in his character/persona.

Do you see anyone in WWE that can do that today? And bring in the casual fanbase.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
4,587 Posts
Daniel Bryan

You shouldn't overthink what casuals like/react to. Daniel Bryan got crowds to go crazy for him. If a casual tunes into Raw and sees the crowds going absolutely bananas for Bryan - it's a hook. If a casual tunes in and sees a crowd mostly quiet for Seth Rollins - ok, he'll flip the channel.

Now you still need to book Daniel Bryan in interesting angles/storylines to maintain the hooked casual viewer - but that's how you first bring them in. Create a character/wrestler that is larger than life popular with the audiences, and book in such a way that gets the audiences super engaged in the product.

Corporate heel Roman Reigns vs face Daniel Bryan is where I would start.

· Registered
4,565 Posts
If the product stinks and the main eventers feel like midcarders, there's no individual that could bring in the casuals. Even the wrestlers with the biggest presence or charisma feel diminished when they get in contact with current WWE.

· Registered
1,579 Posts
Which WWE wrestlers today can bring in casual fans? Tarp is still running wild in WWE and cover up those empty seats.

Are there any wrestlers today that can bring in the casual fanbase and make WWE grow again?

I think the most successful in bringing in casual fans was Hulk Hogan. Back in the day you saw young kids on their daddys shoulders. And you could see 70-years ladys screaming. Hell, all kind of demographics were there. Because Hulk Hogan connected with everyone. He just had that something that connected with the fans and made them emotional invested in his character/persona.

Do you see anyone in WWE that can do that today? And bring in the casual fanbase.
Braun Strowman (but WWE book him like a choke artist)
Velveteen Dream FOTC material
Bray Wyatt/The Fiend

You also have good Heels if booked right
Drew McIntyre
Andrade
EC3

I also think on the women’s side WWE are sleeping on Alexa Bliss as a top Babyface.

· Asuka
^Take this off
126,684 Posts
Bray Wyatt. I was just hearing the other day a guy tell a story about how he had a group party for SummerSlam, and all the guys were watching with their girlfriends who knew nothing about wrestling. Never watched it, couldn't tell you who Roman Reigns is, the whole nine yards, it was their first experience, and they were bored by the whole show and when Bray Wyatt came out, their eyes were glued to the screen.

He's just so much more unique and different and creative than anything else they have right now.

· Registered
#Free316
11,810 Posts
No single person can do that. If one person could bring in the casuals, you would have seen a big spike in audience and tv viewers when Goldberg came back, but that was next to nothing.
It´s a Catch-22 situation; They need a good show to create stars, and they need stars to create a good show.. But they kill off any potential stars they might have because they don´t fit one persons vision.

· Registered
6,444 Posts
Daniel Bryan

You shouldn't overthink what casuals like/react to. Daniel Bryan got crowds to go crazy for him. If a casual tunes into Raw and sees the crowds going absolutely bananas for Bryan - it's a hook. If a casual tunes in and sees a crowd mostly quiet for Seth Rollins - ok, he'll flip the channel.

Now you still need to book Daniel Bryan in interesting angles/storylines to maintain the hooked casual viewer - but that's how you first bring them in. Create a character/wrestler that is larger than life popular with the audiences, and book in such a way that gets the audiences super engaged in the product.

Corporate heel Roman Reigns vs face Daniel Bryan is where I would start.
Hardcores care about Bryan, not casuals. Bryan has been back for years and no one cares. He got kinda sorta hot for a couple of months. And while he got crazy pops, so did Zack Ryder in 2011.

· Registered
6,444 Posts
Bray Wyatt. I was just hearing the other day a guy tell a story about how he had a group party for SummerSlam, and all the guys were watching with their girlfriends who knew nothing about wrestling. Never watched it, couldn't tell you who Roman Reigns is, the whole nine yards, it was their first experience, and they were bored by the whole show and when Bray Wyatt came out, their eyes were glued to the screen.

He's just so much more unique and different and creative than anything else they have right now.
I agree, but with no compelling babyface protagonist, Bray would be doomed to fail even if he was booked strong.(which he won't be) No one is gonna care in the long run about him beating up Rollins and Finn Balor. They needed Braun, babyface Lesnar, Goldberg, guys like that to make it work, but WWE wouldn't have booked him with those guys. It's all a moot point because Rollins is beating him next month, the fiend isn't even going to make it to Survivor Series before he gets Umaga'd/Snitksy'd/Koslov'd

· ★ Liverpool FC ★
2,788 Posts
Not wrestlers but writers.

· a Stupid Idea from Bad Creative
32,403 Posts
Given the way you are using the term "casual fans" here (I'm assuming) no one. The new "casual fan" are the old super fans that have now become a casual. The old "casuals" from the 90's are gone and are never coming back to a program that is labeled "pro wrestling" in anyway.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.