Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Banned
7,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Edge

After 6 months off due to injury, 2010 was supposed to be his big comeback. Things seemed to be going well for him during the first 2 months. He won the Royal Rumble, turned into an antihero on SmackDown, and seemed to be getting over as a face... and then he lost at Mania.
From that point on up untill a few weeks ago, Edge's career has gone nowhere. He suddenly turned back into a heel. The fans were tired of the Ultimate Opportunist, so nobody really bought it. Then he moved to Raw and began a random, pointless, 3 month fued with Randy Orton, which completely killed what remained of his comeback momentum early on. At one point, even his relationship with Vickie was brought back. There seemed to be a possible alliance between Edge and Jericho, but it never really went anywhere. Then creative hit an all-time low, and Edge began to fued with the Raw GM. I'm sorry, but Edge arguing with a computer was such a mindfuck, that even Vince Russo would facepalm.
Finally, creative got thier shit together, turned Edge back into an antihero, and sent over to SmackDown during the move to SyFy. Things have been stable for Edge since, and 2011will be much better for him, but there is no doubt that 2010 has been his worst year as a main-eventer.

CM Punk

It's amazing how far CM Punk's career has fallen in just a year, but it's not entirely his own fault. Much of the blame comes from creative doing what they do best, taking a good thing, and fucking it up. I'm talking about what will go down as one of the biggest flops of the PG Era - The Straight Edge Society.
There was so much momentum and promise in the SES at the end of 2009, CM Punk had just ended his third world title reign, and began to develop a Charles Manson-look, growing out his hair and beard, and began to turn his Straight Edge heel scolding into a sinister false prophet sermon. He found disciples in Luke Gallows, Serena, and Joey Mercury, and for the first few months, they dominated SmackDown as a stable...untill Rey Mysterio came into the picture.
The day CM Punk lost his hair was the day the SES stable, and his main-event status, began to crumble. First came the infamous black mask. Then CM Punk began to job to Rey Mysterio and The Big Show 75% of the time. Then Serena was released. Then Joey Mercury was injured. And by the time Luke Gallows turned on Punk, the fans had stopped caring. I can't even remember when the SES ended. It just stopped happening.
Finally, WWE made a good decision, Edge, who was suffering on Raw, switched with Punk on SmackDown, and the two went to opposite brands. Currently an injured mid-carder, with short hair and a trimmed beard, CM Punk is ready for a comeback in 2011, where he can hopefully regain his main-event status, as well as his dignity.

John Morrison

Poor John Morrison. This guy had so much promise during the second half of the 2000s. Multiple WWE Tag Team Champion. 3-time Intercontinental Champion. ECW Champion. World Tag Team Champion. Everyone assumed that 2010 would be the year John Morrison finally became a main-eventer. Boy were we wrong.
Morrison's decline started off with his injury going into Elimination Chamber, and conitnued when jobbed to his old rival, The Miz, @ WrestleMania XXVI for the Unified WWE Tag Team Championship. But the true turning point came in April, when he was drafted to Monday Night Raw, where his career has looked bleak ever since.
Morrison's mic-skills have always been his weak point, but if people didn't think much about it before, they really started to notice once he was on Raw's live enviornment. Some of the shit that has come out of Morrison's mouth in the past six months would make Jeff Hardy sound like The Rock in comparison. Whether it's his fault, or creative's fault for giving him such attrocious shit to work with, Morrison's mic work has seriously hurt his chances of ever escaping Mid-Card Hell.
At the moment, John Morrison seems to be in a fued with Sheamus. Whether this ends up pushing him, or falling on it's ass like many attempts before, remains to be seen. I remember when people said 2010 would be a major turning point in Morrison's career. From the looks of things, it is, but not the turning point people expected. Just like Edge and CM Punk, 2011 will hopefully be a better year for WWE's resident rockstar.

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
Punk actually had an ok year. First half was good, and the Mysterio feud was interesting and ended in him shaving his head. Once he got injured that's when things got bad. Though imagine if Young joined SES. It'd be Young,Punk and Gallows right now which would still be good enough for a Young-Gallows tag title chase and Punk going for main title. SES vs Nexus lol.

Edge was getting back into wrestling and couldn't do much with his ankle for the first bit but he still did great for quite sometime after his return. The thing that ruined him was how he was treated on Raw after his feud with Orton. They basically just forgot about him and he did noting good on Raw while SD was left without someone like him on the show.

The worst year of anyone important might have actually been HBK,Taker or HHH. HBK got retired, Taker lost his title at EC, barely wrestled from WM-August(if at all) and then got destroyed and now literally buried by Kane. HHH was just watching HBK fall apart and lose the tag titles and then he did have his small feud with Sheamus, but it ended with Sheamus taking out HHH probably for the rest of the year.

Seems surprising that those guys all had bad years yet WWEs rating didn't really drop.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
I won't speak in kayfabe, Edge had the worst year as far as his career. It wasn't horrible but he was noticeably less of a factor this year than in the last few.

·
The Knight
1,746 Posts
Zack Ryder. Dude got squashed in 10 seconds by Sheamus and jobbed to The Cobra.
Oh god I agree. For a guy who's plenty talented, he's been needlessly squashed too many times. The last notable thing he did was end Tommy Dreamer's career, and even that was done tamely in a regular match on ECW. He's just had a very underwhelming year. I've enjoyed every moment he's had on screen, but his booking has been brutal. Who the hell did he piss off?

·
Follower of Lockeism
13,482 Posts
JOHN MORRISON

Excluding the past six of seven weeks, he's had a TERRIBLE year by his standards. It all went to shit when he won the IC title in 2009, he got dominated by McIntyre, and jobbed twice to Miz, after that and never really regained his momentum. His start to 2010 should have been great. He had a DVD coming out and I thought things were looking up as we went into the Elimination Chamber. He got to the final three, and looked strong in doing so. He was then stuck in a tag title match at Mania...which he lost again. THEN if that wasn't bad enough, he got drafted to RAW and did absolutely NOTHING for about four or five months. A lot of people blame him, but I don't. He can't do anything without people booking him to do something, and they didn't.

Things are looking up right now, he's been getting steadily pushed for about six or seven weeks, going over Jericho, shining on PPV etc and seems to be entering a feud with a main eventer in Sheamus. He's as over as he's ever been and looks to be more comfortable in his face role. So, 2010 might not be a complete loss by the end of it...then again they could stop his push at the drop of a hat.

CM PUNK

My goodness, what a difference between 2009 and 2010. 2009 was an awesome year for Punk and this year by that standard has been awful for him. He was the best heel in the business in 2009, having great matches and a fantastic feud with Jeff which put him on the map. This year? He's jobbed to a midget, then jobbed to a giant straight after...that's about it. He's now been drafted to RAW where it looks as though he's feuding with Bryan presumably over the US Title and while I'll enjoy the feud, I would rather Punk didn't get dropped back down to the mid-card title division. So, 2010 hasn't been a great year for Punk by any stretch of the imagination.

KOFI KINGSTON

Remember last year where he had a great US Title run, then feuded with the biggest heel in the WWE? I do...apparently the WWE don't though. This year has been awful for Kofi. He had one IC title run which wasn't memorable in the slightest and after dropping the title I thought he might move up the card, but he did absolutely nothing. He's been jobbing on Smackdown for the past couple of months and doing nothing otherwise. With the lack of faces on Smackdown about two months ago, I thought he might have slotted in well there, but I suppose they don't want to push him up to that level.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Kofi Kingston is a good choice, they've done nothing with him since that incident last year despite him being over big just about one year ago.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
John Cena, because he is forced to follow Wade Barrett's orders.

He always has such a sad look on his face every Monday. I don't want to imagine what he has to do the rest of the week. :(

·
Asuka
96,360 Posts
Any jobber could be said to have the worst year, but if we're judging people who've gone downhill then it's between Kofi Kingston and Drew Mcintyre. Both of these guys were gettng huge pushes last year, and this year they've just fallen off the radar. I'm gonna give it to Kofi because the difference between Kofi and Mcintyre is that Kofi is over huge and is getting shit on, whereas they just figured out that Mcintyre sucks and can't get over. Well.....for now. They'll try again like they did with Orton until it works.

CM Punk hasn't had a good year either but that's because he's in Jericho mode. They know that he could become WWE Champion on Monday night and everyone would still buy it, he's immune to burials, so it's not as bad for him. For some reason, Vince loves to fuck around with guys who's mic skills and character development are so ahead of everyone else that they can't be buried. JBL, Kennedy, Jericho, Punk, because he knows he can just give them a big win or accomplishment whenever he wants and it won't be out of place.

·
Premium Member
5,644 Posts
Triple H - injuries

CM Punk - Very bad year compared to 2009

Edge - not yet back to his best, may do better on smackdown

Jericho - too many losses, and quit

Undertaker - injuries

Christian - Doing nothing until a promising feud with Del Rio then got injured

Zack Ryder - Has talent but used as a jobber

Yoshi Tatsu - Never used

Darren Young - The missing link

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
It's Punk and there's no contest. Let's look at his year. This is a scary statistic: he's had 1 PPV victory in 2010 (which was back in May). He hasn't won again on PPV since then. This is a 3-time world champion for gods sake.

The SES storyline had amazing potential. A straight edge cult storyline, they should've pushed the envelope on this one, his stable should've taken over SD. There's just so many ways it could've gone, instead his group was never dominant and were a bunch of jobbers from the start. They put Joey Mercury in a mask, but the hilarious thing was that he was a jobber before they even revealed who he was. Why would anyone give a shit if you've already made this mystery assailant into a joke?

Now he's looking like he's about to enter a US title feud and/or he might be injured. What a huge fall from his heights of 2009.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I feel that Chavo has had it the worst jobbing to Hornswaggle. I've seen him put on some great matches, but to see that happen to him was just horrible. Now he's Swagger's soaring eagle. At least the guy is getting paid.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts