Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
3,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A common topic amongst the forums today, but I haven't seen a thread about it. Obviously, wrestling has past its glory days. Wrestlers have lost passion for the business, seeing it during the 'boom' era in contrast to today probably saddens some of the superstars.

Jerry Lawler is an obvious choice. He's either gotten dumber with age or simply lost his love and passion for announcing matches. He has his good days, but he also has his lows where he is simply terrible at the booth.

Carlito is another obvious one. He blatantly said it himself. He didn't like the WWE, heck, I think he got over pro wrestling in general. It's a shame since he was a great talent until he decided he didn't give a fuck.

Jeff Hardy. His run from 2006 to late 2009 was great, but after his departure from the WWE and the drug scandal, you would think somebody who cared for the business would put aside the drugs and do the thing he loves.

Hulk Hogan. He came into TNA with a big plan, but we all saw through it. He wanted money. TNA is still doing the stupid shit they were before Hogan came in and I think he wanted a position in authority and the WWE weren't gonna give him one.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
MVP seems totally uninspired lately, which is quite depressing to see.

·
Banned
3,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think he's lost his passion per-se, I just think he's displeased with his character and did request a change of character and was denied.

It's not a passion issue, he genuinely wants to be a big star.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
The Rock.

·
Always sees what you don't
164 Posts
Lawler is the obvious one - he has clearly just mailing it in to get a payday, do humor or anthing anymore.

Bret Hart has lost his passion ever since the screwjob and Owen dying - even Eric Bishoff said so much on OTR

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
A common topic amongst the forums today, but I haven't seen a thread about it. Obviously, wrestling has past its glory days. Wrestlers have lost passion for the business, seeing it during the 'boom' era in contrast to today probably saddens some of the superstars.

Jerry Lawler is an obvious choice. He's either gotten dumber with age or simply lost his love and passion for announcing matches. He has his good days, but he also has his lows where he is simply terrible at the booth.

Carlito is another obvious one. He blatantly said it himself. He didn't like the WWE, heck, I think he got over pro wrestling in general. It's a shame since he was a great talent until he decided he didn't give a fuck.

Jeff Hardy. His run from 2006 to late 2009 was great, but after his departure from the WWE and the drug scandal, you would think somebody who cared for the business would put aside the drugs and do the thing he loves.

Hulk Hogan. He came into TNA with a big plan, but we all saw through it. He wanted money. TNA is still doing the stupid shit they were before Hogan came in and I think he wanted a position in authority and the WWE weren't gonna give him one.
lawler: he's gotten a lot better lately. and his little slump should be contributed to the material he's getting and the overall product.

carlito: hard to tell. i like carlito...i dont think he's lost passion, i just think hes frustrated and needs to clear his head.

jeff: i think you're 100% wrong there. i think he has all the passion in the world. i get what you're saying about the drug thing, (shawn michaels says hi btw) but i think he, and matt hardy for that matter have amazing passion for the business, it's just that maybe they have some different views about it than a lot of other people.

Hogan: don't get me started on hogan. i can't talk about that guy. now, don't get me wrong, the day he dies, it will be sad...very sad. if it wasnt for him, wrestling wouldn't be as popular as it is today. BUT, when he passes away, the wrestling world can FINALLY move on from hulk hogan. when i think of hogan, i try to remember the late 80s-early 90s, but it's very, VERY hard to do these days. he's scared all those great memories. GO AWAY TERRY!

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
Theres a difference here. Being upset about the way things are going in WWE doesnt mean that they lost thier passion for the business. Look at Batista, he said himself that the reason he left was because he diddnt like the direction the company was going. Matt Hardy is a good example too. While i think he has a few screws loose, he seems like he cant wait to get to TNA. Carlito just seemed frustrated with the WWE in my opinion. Lawler just seems like he's there to collect a paycheck. Hogans only with TNA because he lost alot of money in his divorce.

Someone who lost thier passion to me is Jericho. While I'm a huge fan of his, all it seems like he cares about is doing stuff outside of wrestling. He was on that gameshow that diddn't last, and I think he would rather play with Fozzie instead of be a wrestler.

·
Kerser is the sickest.
1,506 Posts
lawler: he's gotten a lot better lately. and his little slump should be contributed to the material he's getting and the overall product.

carlito: hard to tell. i like carlito...i dont think he's lost passion, i just think hes frustrated and needs to clear his head.

jeff: i think you're 100% wrong there. i think he has all the passion in the world. i get what you're saying about the drug thing, (shawn michaels says hi btw) but i think he, and matt hardy for that matter have amazing passion for the business, it's just that maybe they have some different views about it than a lot of other people.

Hogan: don't get me started on hogan. i can't talk about that guy. now, don't get me wrong, the day he dies, it will be sad...very sad. if it wasnt for him, wrestling wouldn't be as popular as it is today. BUT, when he passes away, the wrestling world can FINALLY move on from hulk hogan. when i think of hogan, i try to remember the late 80s-early 90s, but it's very, VERY hard to do these days. he's scared all those great memories. GO AWAY TERRY!
Elaborate please.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Elaborate please.
someone said that jeff hardy, if he really had passion for the business, should stop using drugs etc. shawn was all kinds of doped up for years...and it didn't stop him from being the best. he was able to handle it(albeit barely). he did it so he could perform because he loves/d the business. it wasn't until a couple of years after he got hurt, had kids etc that he realized that he needed to change...and then he did and came back and he was just as good, if not better than when he left. you can be on drugs and still have a passion for wrestling. it never stopped shawn...if anything, it helped him get through a lot.

·
Banned
3,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you wanna point out The Rock, I might add Brock Lesnar too. These are tedious options as they aren't in wrestling anymore but they lost their passion for it whilst being active wrestlers imho.

·
Banned
10,758 Posts
No chance in hell.He loves the business.

Hogan

Rock-Some may argue but he came for smackdown 10th anniversary in a pre-recorded appearance.that tells a lot about him.(Rock was my favourite wrestler after Austin but this one incident changed it)

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Paul Heyman - He hasn't done anything wrestling-related since his dismissal from ECW in 2006, and even turned down Vince's offer to be the head booker of DSW/OVW and simply decided waited out his contract. Though he hasn't completely given up on it yet, as he does write some wrestling-related articles from time to time.

edit: Oh yeah, Heyman isn't exactly a wrestler, sorry if my post has strayed off from the main topic.

·
I must away and tend to my ravens
11,236 Posts
Paul Heyman - He hasn't done anything wrestling-related since his dismissal from ECW in 2006, and even turned down Vince's offer to be the head booker of DSW/OVW and simply decided waited out his contract. Though he hasn't completely given up on it yet, as he does write some wrestling-related articles from time to time.

edit: Oh yeah, Heyman isn't exactly a wrestler, sorry if my post has strayed off from the main topic.
Since you're already brought up a non-wrestler I'll do the same:

Vince MacMahon - Now sure, he still cares about his own company but I find it hard to believe he actually cares about wrestling anymore. Look at the constant attempts to branch out into other avenues (not necassarily a bad thing), calling the wrestlers Superstars and Divas, saying Sports Entertainment rather than wrestling, the mostly passionless, paint-by-numbers matches that we see every week. That paints a picture of someone who no longer cares about wrestling (if he ever really did) and simply loves the money and the power.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts