Wrestling Forum banner

Which championship belt has lost the most prestige?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sup peepz?

So there's the WWE Championship on RAW and the World Heavyweight Championship on SD!, so here's my question, which belt has more prestige?

2 years ago, I would have chosen the WHC without even blinking an eye, but now, after the likes of Jeff Hardy and now Rey-Rey again have held it, I'm not so sure.

Since 2008, these are the people who hate held the WWE title and the WHC::

WWE Title:

- John Cena
- Batista
- Randy Orton
- Triple H
- Sheamus
- Edge
- Jeff Hardy

World Heavyweight Championship:

- The Undertaker
- Edge
- CM Punk
- Jack Swagger
- Rey Mysterio
- Jeff Hardy
- Chris Jericho
- Batista
- John Cena

Now Jeff Hardy has held both belts, so for me, that's prestige down. He only held the WHC for like 2 minutes, so right there the WHC is the most prestiges title. Then Rey just won it, and that's not good for the belt. Look at the name: World HEAVYWEIGHT Champion. I rest my case.

The WWE Championship is ugly as hell, and Sheamus, who I don't think should have the belt, but lets face it, he's a big guy, he's believable IMO, so as much as I hate him, he's a decent champ.

So the result here is: The WWE Championship has lost the most prestige over the last 2-3 years IMO.

Your opinion might be different, so I'm going to make a poll.

·
Registered
537 Posts
WWE Championship, its on the flagship show and has a much, much longer and richer history than the WHC

Still ugly as fuck though

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
both belts have a long, storied history. it's hard to say. i'll give the edge to wwe title though, because a lot of people don't know half of the guys that have ever held the WHC. the wwe title has always been that...was the BIG company etc.

·
Premium Member
13,081 Posts
Big Gold Belt, fuck the spinner. The WWE Championship is a joke thanks to Cena, I could live with a Rated R Championship, or a Smoking Skulls belt, but Cena killed it.

·
Banned
15,929 Posts
WWE Championship.

·
Undergoing a gimmick change.
2,385 Posts
The WWE Championship, even though I'm reluctant to say it - solely because it looks so god damn awful. The "World Championship" however has been given a tacky name change because of what is likely to be a lackluster Rey Mysterio reign, and has been held by Jeff Hardy and Jack Swagger. As much as I like Swagger, and enjoyed his reign, it was too short lived, and the manner in which he won it was too easy. In fact, most MITB cash-ins seem to be on the World Heavyweight Championship. Furthermore, Jericho's reigns with the championship have all been transitional, and have seen him fade back and forth from the mid-card. The Undertaker is rarely seen, and CM Punk was booked as a weak champion - especially during his first run as a face.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Personally I prefer the WHC, but it was held by Khali, Jeff and Rey, IMO the three worst champs ever in the WWE, so I'd have to say the WWE championship...

·
Registered
95 Posts
WWE without question. It's history speaks for itself. Swagger didn't do the WHC any favors with his embarrassing reign either

·
The One Who Knocks
5,341 Posts
Honestly? Neither. The fact there are two world titles to begin with totally dilutes the credibility of both championships. When you factor in how often they switch brands, the chicken shit ways in which they're exchanged (notably through MITB), and the undeserving guys that are getting the belt way before they're due nowadays, I really don't think either title means all that much anymore. The whole show used to revolve around the championship; that's rarely the case now. It's mostly just a prop used to sell toys.

But, if I have to vote, I'll go with the WWE Title. I'm a mark for the World Title belt - it just screams champion - but the WWE Title has still had a much better run in terms of credible champions with meaningful reigns. Frankly the World Title has just about fallen behind the U.S. Title at this point.

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
WWE title has been held by the greatest wrestlers of their respective eras. World title was probably better though during it's time on raw from the bischoff days.

Based on your list.

Cena=Cena
Hardy=Hardy
Edge=Edge
Batista=Batista

WWE Title:
- Randy Orton
- Triple H
- Sheamus

World Heavyweight Championship:

- The Undertaker
- CM Punk
- Jack Swagger
- Rey Mysterio
- Chris Jericho

That's basically the list right there. Takers reign wasn't really that great since he never appeared, Jerichos reign was too short. Mysterios reign isn't over yet. Swaggers was just to put himself in the main event picture. So Punks reigns were the real great ones.

WWE title wise, Sheamus was similar to swagger as it was just there to show he's in the main event scene now.
HHH only had 2 reigns since 2008(3 since 2002 if you count that 1 hour reign), both of them were great as one of them brought us that great HHH-Orton feud for WM25(matches sucked though) and one before that was his long run in 2008 where he went to SD afterwards to help out the brand.

Orton had 5 wwe title reigns, all have been ended by either cena,batista or hhh. Since 2008 he's barely held the title for along time.

·
Just Remember
1,092 Posts
If they played up the history of either belt at any point, it'd be easier to take both of them seriously. I mean, why do they NEVER reference the fact that the WHC has been held by the likes of Gotch, Thesz, Rogers, Brisco, Funk, Race, Rhodes, Steamboat etc. etc. (I'm aware that they can't really talk about Flair with him at TNA)? I'm aware that they're probably not quite the same title, but the WWE still tries to sell them as the same with their DVD packages. And the big gold belt is still the big gold belt.

Similarly with the WWE title - ok, so Hogan, Warrior and Savage seem to be out of reckoning when talking about it's lineage, but they could still refer to Sammartino, Graham, Backlund, Rogers, Inoki, Andre etc., or even Bret, Shawn, Stone Cold, The Rock, Eddie etc. - I mean, it's been years since those guys left.

Of course the kids aren't gonna know who most of these guys are in any depth, but they're names that get mentioned every now and again and it just provides some sort of context and history - practically speaking, the WWE is in possession of the two most prestigious belts in the history of North American professional wrestling. It surprises me that Vince, who likes to play up the sense of history surrounding things like Wrestlemania, doesn't try and make more of that.

In answer to the question, then in recent years, the WWE title. It's the one that they gave Cena for his monster reigns, and they experiment with it less than the WHC. However, if we're talking in terms of their entire histories, and we're accepting the WWE's WHC as the old NWA/WCW title, then I'd go with that. David Arquette or no David Arquette, that title has some serious history.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts