Wrestling Forum banner

which World Championship Reign is Better so far ??

• Chris Jericho

• Jon Moxley

• Kenny Omega

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
1. Jericho by some distance. The title actually felt important while he had it because he was involved in actual feuds & a large part of the show revolved around him & the title, glad he dropped the belt before he turned into the unbearable mess he is now though.

2. Moxley. Not a great reign by any means but not absolute shit either, I feel Moxley was a bit unlucky really taking the belt just as the whole covid thing was getting going & it kind of forced their hand a little which seemed to turn his reign into a series of largely forgettable 2 week feuds.

3. Omega easily the worst. He just doesn't really even feel like the champion, he's meant to be "the belt collector" but the whole things fallen flat for me because 95% of the storyline happens elsewhere & he feels like an after thought on the main show he's the champion of which devalues the title & makes all the other belts he's carrying about feel absolutely worthless anyway.

·
Registered
13,117 Posts
Jericho easily
How can you believe that when Moxley's Title reign was more mid-card than CM Punk's? There's even a debate above about it. When Jericho was champion, he was the star of the show. Moxley felt like a side act, as does Omega.
We talking 2008-09 title run Punk?

Because 2012 especially heel Punk was booked much stronger star than Moxley as AEW champion

·
Ho!
18,110 Posts
I'm not talking about the pay-per-views man.It's about the presentation for me. When Jericho had a segment, it was a spectacle. He felt like the most important person on the show. When Moxley had a segment, the transition would feel like "HIKARU SHIDA HAS YET ANOTHER DOMINATING PERFORMANCE!!!! ....and here's Jon Moxley from the bathroom with a promo."

I want my Champion to feel like the biggest deal in the company, not an afterthought. Roman Reigns currently and Chris Jericho in the past had very prominent reigns. I don't need the champion taking up 40 minutes of the show, but I also don't want a 3-minute backstage segment.
Even Dynamite his matches were main events most of the time. A lot of his promos were backstage, but they advertised plenty of bigger segments for him as well. With backstage segments though, AEW doesn’t advertise anyone’s all that much, even Jericho’s.

Jericho’s reign didn’t even have any more “spectacle” than Moxley’s tbh (I’m not saying he didn’t have any btw - as I think it was well done). However it was only 4 months of Dynamite TV and he only had really had two main feuds (Cody and Moxley). He was also the only singles men’s champion. Maybe those factors help in your eyes to make it feel more significant. For me, what matters is when Moxley was wrestling, it was treated as the main event, felt like the main event, he felt like “the guy”, and he delivered on a quality that no other champion had in a long time.

As for Reigns, he’s overexposed and stale due to having whole episodes constantly revolving around him.

Edit: As for Punk, that’s a much better example of the top champion booked as a mid-card act, playing second fiddle to someone else. When he was a face. That said, looking at his reign as a whole it’s not a mid-card run at all, and as a whole his run was top quality stuff as a face and heel.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Jerichos was easily the best

I enjoyed Moxleys, his being a little more low key makes sense since he was the "peoples champion" as opposed to a rockstar Le Champion, but whether it makes sense or not, Jerichos was still more exciting. Moxleys promos are always a hit for me.

Omegas is questionable at best. Obviously had the terrible sparklers, but even ignoring that, why the fuck won't TK at least MENTION what Kenny is doing in other companies?? It makes no sense. I get he wants to be paid for saying another companies name, but he's actively sandbagging the reign with this strange hill he's decided to die on. Very dumb.

·
The EST of NXT
The LegitEST BOSS
32,227 Posts
Even Dynamite his matches were main events most of the time. A lot of his promos were backstage, but they advertised plenty of bigger segments for him as well. With backstage segments though, AEW doesn’t advertise anyone’s all that much, even Jericho’s.
LE CHAMPION was definitely advertised. When he was speaking, we knew about it. When he spoke, it felt must listen. He was always smack dab in the middle of the ring with his entourage and a bottle of the bubbly.

Jericho’s reign didn’t even have any more “spectacle” than Moxley’s tbh (I’m not saying he didn’t have any btw - as I think it was well done). However it was only 4 months of Dynamite TV and he only had really had two main feuds (Cody and Moxley). He was also the only singles men’s champion. Maybe those factors help in your eyes to make it feel more significant. For me, what matters is when Moxley was wrestling, it was treated as the main event, felt like the main event, he felt like “the guy”, and he delivered on a quality that no other champion had in a long time.
I don't feel like the introduction of the TNT title did anything to take away from Moxley's reign. He just wasn't presented as big a deal as Jericho. The Hangman/Omega saga felt like the most important thing on the program last summer. The most memorable thing from Moxley's reign to me (besides the promo battles with Eddie Kingston) was his match with Darby. Nothing else felt urgent.

As for Reigns, he’s overexposed and stale due to having whole episodes constantly revolving around him.
There are points when Smackdown goes overboard in featuring him too much, but I think he's killing his role in spite of that.

Edit: As for Punk, that’s a much better example of the top champion booked as a mid-card act, playing second fiddle to someone else. When he was a face. That said, looking at his reign as a whole it’s not a mid-card run at all, and as a whole his run was top quality stuff as a face and heel.
I'm not sure how you can call Reigns overexposed and praise CM Punk for cutting the same 20 minute promo whining about being mid carded. He wasn't wrong, but it got old fast hearing it every week.

·
Ho!
18,110 Posts
LE CHAMPION was definitely advertised. When he was speaking, we knew about it. When he spoke, it felt must listen. He was always smack dab in the middle of the ring with his entourage and a bottle of the bubbly.

I don't feel like the introduction of the TNT title did anything to take away from Moxley's reign. He just wasn't presented as big a deal as Jericho. The Hangman/Omega saga felt like the most important thing on the program last summer. The most memorable thing from Moxley's reign to me (besides the promo battles with Eddie Kingston) was his match with Darby. Nothing else felt urgent.

There are points when Smackdown goes overboard in featuring him too much, but I think he's killing his role in spite of that.

I'm not sure how you can call Reigns overexposed and praise CM Punk for cutting the same 20 minute promo whining about being mid carded. He wasn't wrong, but it got old fast hearing it every week.
Jericho in ring segments were advertised, as were Moxley’s. Backstage segments weren’t advertised any more or less. Moxley just had more backstage promos and Jericho had more in ring ones (in terms of percentages).

Moxley was always presented as a big deal when he competed or has big segments.

To be clear, I’m not saying Moxley’s reign was this all-time amazing run or that it was booked perfectly. It’s just always been funny that some act like he was some undercard works champ when he was anything but that. Plus calling it the best is only comparing it to title runs in the last couple of years I’ve seen. Runs like Rollins, Lesnar, Reigns, McIntyre, Orton, Lashley, Strowman, Fiend, Miz... some of those names are bigger names than Mox, but as a title reign all of them were weak runs are either due to terrible booking, mediocre talent, or the reign was too brief.

The difference between Punk and Reigns is Punk is a far better talent in every way and could utilize the time he had far better. Reigns is still pretty weak on the mic, which is what they mostly have him doing. Though we’re getting a bit off topic with that, so that’s as far as I’ll discuss the Reigns/Punk stuff but that’s the difference for me with those two.

Edit: Oh and I missed typing this, but regarding the TNT Title - I think it did have an impact on the World Title in terms of TV time. Because when Jericho was champ, he was THE champ. Moxley as champ was the World Champ, but they had the TNT which they used most weeks as a/the big match for the show when Mox was just doing a backstage segment. It also gave a lot of different guys chances at singles gold and was the new belt. Again though, when Moxley wrestled, THAT was clearly the main event above all other matches (except maybe once or twice).

·
HEADBANGA
24,541 Posts
Jericho was the focus of the show and he had a lot of segments and angles that dominated the show. Mox and Omega can go a week or two without even being on the show or cut a promo. They weren't center pieces like Jericho was and thats I put Jericho above the rest.

·
Registered
13,117 Posts
Whats your opinion on Austin 98-99 so. The entire company revolved around him at the time. Reigns gets maybe 15-30min on the Friday show and never referenced on Raw.

Austin mainevented 18 of 20 ppvs in some capacity in 98-99. Reigns is miles off that

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Jericho comfortably number 1, he had some really good segments and it wasn't just the title he elevated but also the company. Made AEW look half respectable and a serious promotion. Since dropping the belt, the whole company feels like its going backwards.

Mox is comfortably 2nd, which is scary because his reign was very meh. Bland, boring but sometimes he'd do a good promo, so that's good enough for 2nd. Only parts I really enjoyed was Y2J and Kingston.

Omega and his title reign has been awful. It's playing 2nd fiddle to his little kliq. Him and Don are basically goofing around. I never watched him in Japan, but I had heard amazing things about him, so I was looking forward to seeing him and seeing what the fuss was about. So far I haven't been impressed at all. His promos are shocking and he's brought too much comedy to the title. When your serious guys are closer to being goofs, than your goofy guys are to being serious.. You have problems

·
Registered
559 Posts
Jericho, then Mox, then Omega.

Mox’s reign suffered because of the pandemic. Kenny isn’t being featured enough at the moment.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Kenny is my favourite wrestler, but I wish he was going on the belt collector gimmick as a face. I know Callis is great, but I don't like heel kenny. For that reason I am going y2j.

I would like y2j to have one more 3 month run as champ before he retires to commentary. Wash the stench of those OC losses off him and then put over someone else.

·
Registered
53 Posts
1- jericho , felt like a world champion felt like a star , so many iconic moments , his reign not only the best reign by far in aew but one of the best most entertaining reigns in the last 15 years

HUGE GAP

2- moxley , didn't feel like a star to me , he just doesn't work as a world champion imo , better as a chaser , his reign was just meh , not awful but not good either , just not memorable

EVEN A BIGGER GAP

3- omega , garbage , an overrated midcarder , looks like a fool act like a fool , just horrible he doesn't have it

·
Registered
439 Posts
Jericho > Mox > Kenneth

Moxley unfortunately reigned over the worst run AEW's had so far (summer of 2020), but he still should have been featured way more like Jericho was. "Waah they're shoving X down my throat" complainers be damned, top guys are supposed to be on and win all the time.

Wow, if you told me four years ago that people were going to sour on Omega like this I’d never have believed you.
I like Kenny but his booking and presentation has been garbage. You'd think since he has a hand in it he'd go full 80s Dusty but nope. Honestly I say long term plans be damned and try someone else. Tho if it's more of the same mid level stuff then it doesn't matter.

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
I think it comes down to Jericho despite being willing to help others look good, came from the era of "no, no the world champ is the centerpiece", while Moxley, Omega, and Tony believe in the current "hey we can all shine together" era.

Its so many shows that display how to do a show with a lot of characters. The world champion should be the A plot that is the thread for the entire show. With smaller B, C, D, and etc plots that fill the gaps in between.
Absolutely. They want everyone to eat and feel like stars.

I call it the LeBron James-ing of professional wrestling. Sometimes you have to be a fucking dick that draws eyes always. That’s how Jordan got eyes on the NBA, being the champ and star. That’s how Hogan, Austin, and Rock got eyes on the product. Being the champ and stars.

Mox and Omega seem content to just let others shine. Fucking morons, even if they’re great performers on the mic or in-the-ring respectively.

How can you believe that when Moxley's Title reign was more mid-card than CM Punk's? There's even a debate above about it. When Jericho was champion, he was the star of the show. Moxley felt like a side act, as does Omega.
They ARE side acts. Moxley’s reign took a backseat to Cody’s TNT title bullshit, and Omega has kind of took a backseat to Darby’s weekly title defenses.

Perhaps there is something to be said about TNT involving themselves too heavily and demanding “their” title be placed so highly up the card…?
Omegas is questionable at best. Obviously had the terrible sparklers, but even ignoring that, why the fuck won't TK at least MENTION what Kenny is doing in other companies?? It makes no sense. I get he wants to be paid for saying another companies name, but he's actively sandbagging the reign with this strange hill he's decided to die on. Very dumb.
Yeah, TK has shot himself in the foot for sure.

Reactions: The Legit DMD

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
I wouldn't be able to decide seeing as I started watching during Moxley's reign. Moxleys reign seemed pretty underwhelming and he felt like more of a midcard champion, Omega felt pretty dominant and relevant at one point but it's also been inconsistent, him going from a Mox feud to defending against Orange Cassidy is really stupid.

·
THE MAN has come around to collect her debts.
15,292 Posts
Moxley's was the best. Jericho 2nd. Omega last so far.

After Jungle Boy, I think they should have Omega feud with a babyface Brian Cage, then Cody, do some stuff with New Japan, then feud with Hangman. All of that should put him in 1st or 2nd place.

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
Moxley's was the best. Jericho 2nd. Omega last so far.

After Jungle Boy, I think they should have Omega feud with a babyface Brian Cage, then Cody, do some stuff with New Japan, then feud with Hangman. All of that should put him in 1st or 2nd place.
There is no way Moxley’s was the best. He and Omega have been treated like “just another guy” due to shit execution of stories.

Reactions: The Legit DMD
21 - 40 of 52 Posts