Wrestling Forum banner

which World Championship Reign is Better so far ??

• Chris Jericho

• Jon Moxley

• Kenny Omega

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
since Kenny Omega is a champion for 6 months now (which is the same period as Chris Jericho was)

between
1-Chris Jericho
2-Jon Moxley
3-Kenny Omega

which one has been a more convincing World Champion ??
and which title reign you enjoyed the most ?

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
1. Jon Moxley
2. Chris Jericho
3. Kenny Omega

Moxley's reign was textbook pro wrestling through the pandemic - feud to feud, new monster challengers, Mox overcoming the odds. The Kingston feud, which involved two challenges, was good story telling and felt personal.

Jericho's reign was a good inauguration for the title, with a living legend giving instant credibility and prestige for it. Match quality was so/so (only the Cody match was outstanding), but the feuds with Cody and Moxley were well done.

Omega is the best in the ring of the three of them and given the chance has shown it, but he's strayed off course and that's down to the booking. I think his reign is now gathering momentum. The three-way was great and we don't have to wait nearly three months for him to defend it on AEW soil again. After he beats Jungle Boy, they need to move straight into his next big feud and his reign should complete a positive turnaround.

·
Registered
149 Posts
1. Jericho - his reign was when he was still behaving like an actual person. He's been a ridiculous buffoon since then, which I never thought I'd say. But his championship run was great.
2. Moxley - Some decent stuff in there. Could have been better, but is what it is.
3. Omega - Dear god. Awful. He isn't a main event player and is NOT a star. Sorry Meltzer. I don't even buy this 'he's the best in the ring' garbage. Why? Because he can do a few flips? He can't tell a story.

·
Registered
#FreeTheAussies
8,923 Posts
Easily Jericho. Then far down Moxley, and even farther down, Omega.
Moxleys reign was almost an afterthought because Cody had to make everything about him at the time, and Omega´s reign so far is comparable to Jinder Mahal in terms of stupidity and catering to a certain fan base.

·
Registered
29,185 Posts
The only thing I've enjoyed World title story wise was Jericho vs Moxley overall and Moxley vs Kingston. So I guess

1. Moxley
2. Jericho
3. Omega

They've really done a shit job of making Moxley and Omega feel like the star of the show

·
Southern Pride
4,924 Posts
1. Jericho
2. Moxley
3. Omega

·
Registered
6,095 Posts
They've really done a shit job of making Moxley and Omega feel like the star of the show
And that’s strictly due to booking everyone like a star. Jericho was always in the main event, and they have routinely placed Moxley and Omega in random ass segments, which is stupid and makes them feel like unimportant characters.

This company doesn’t know how to fucking book. Period. Great talent, great matches, good ideas, and shit fucking booking to piece all of these things together.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
1. Moxley - though not always shown as the star of the show like he should have been most of his feuds and matches were very entertaining and a great time

2. Jericho - Not as high quality feuds and matches but as a champion did at least feel like the top guy while he held the belt and did have some great memorable stuff during his reign

3. Kenny Omega - has the weaknesses of the first 2 reigns rather than the strengths. This is not on Kenny imo but he has been handled ridiculously poorly as a champion and his reign has been a long one so you can't really say it's "just getting started" either cause it should have kicked into gear ages ago. They can still get something good out of it if they give it proper focus though as Kenny can deliver in big match situations.

·
Registered
29,185 Posts
And that’s strictly due to booking everyone like a star. Jericho was always in the main event, and they have routinely placed Moxley and Omega in random ass segments, which is stupid and makes them feel like unimportant characters.

This company doesn’t know how to fucking book. Period. Great talent, great matches, good ideas, and shit fucking booking to piece all of these things together.
I think it comes down to Jericho despite being willing to help others look good, came from the era of "no, no the world champ is the centerpiece", while Moxley, Omega, and Tony believe in the current "hey we can all shine together" era.

Its so many shows that display how to do a show with a lot of characters. The world champion should be the A plot that is the thread for the entire show. With smaller B, C, D, and etc plots that fill the gaps in between.

·
Registered
#FreeTheAussies
8,923 Posts
I think it comes down to Jericho despite being willing to help others look good, came from the era of "no, no the world champ is the centerpiece", while Moxley, Omega, and Tony believe in the current "hey we can all shine together" era.

Its so many shows that display how to do a show with a lot of characters. The world champion should be the A plot that is the thread for the entire show. With smaller B, C, D, and etc plots that fill the gaps in between.
Nah. Moxley was in WWE long enough (and so was Cody) that they should know the Champion has the biggest story. It´s one of the basic elements of wrestling. (Like you correctly said).
Moxley and especially Cody just think they know better.

·
Registered
29,185 Posts
Nah. Moxley was in WWE long enough (and so was Cody) that they should know the Champion has the biggest story. It´s one of the basic elements of wrestling. (Like you correctly said).
Moxley and especially Cody just think they know better.
They may have been there long, but the era they developed in is just different. With social media wrestlers at all levels can see themselves get virtual blowjobs from fans all day. Which is probably why Cody, is so hard on the "there's no midcard" thing and I like the guy lol. Think about it he went from "surely DiBiase Jr is going to be the breakout star" to "omg Vince is holding Cody down by not letting him escape the midcard". That has to have an affect on a wrestler.

Cody and them probably operate on the idea that "well yeah the top guys have the biggest fan base, but the lower guys have fans to, that deserve a decent amount of time to see them". Which is why we end up with so much rotation and rarely having a story thread throughout the show.

·
Registered
#FreeTheAussies
8,923 Posts
They may have been there long, but the era they developed in is just different. With social media wrestlers at all levels can see themselves get virtual blowjobs from fans all day. Which is probably why Cody, is so hard on the "there's no midcard" thing and I like the guy lol. Think about it he went from "surely DiBiase Jr is going to be the breakout star" to "omg Vince is holding Cody down by not letting him escape the midcard". That has to have an affect on a wrestler.

Cody and them probably operate on the idea that "well yeah the top guys have the biggest fan base, but the lower guys have fans to, that deserve a decent amount of time to see them". Which is why we end up with so much rotation and rarely having a story thread throughout the show.
Nah. Vince didn´t hold down Cody. He just saw the level of talent he really is. The very weak link of the Runnels family.
But you may be right about the "lower guys have fans too". Cody have 900K followers on Twitter -that´s twice as many as Omega or The Bucks. And I can´t imagine those 3 being willing to take a backseat just because Cody have a bigger fanbase.
Oh, and in comparison, a midcard "comedy" guy like The Miz have 3.1 Million twitter followers :D

·
Registered
29,185 Posts
Nah. Vince didn´t hold down Cody. He just saw the level of talent he really is. The very weak link of the Runnels family.
But you may be right about the "lower guys have fans too". Cody have 900K followers on Twitter -that´s twice as many as Omega or The Bucks. And I can´t imagine those 3 being willing to take a backseat just because Cody have a bigger fanbase.
Oh, and in comparison, a midcard "comedy" guy like The Miz have 3.1 Million twitter followers :D
That's the only thing that makes sense to me lol. Outside if a hated few, every wrestler is a star according to social media and AEW books like it's true.

·
The EST of NXT
The LegitEST BOSS
32,212 Posts
Jericho and it's not even close. Jericho's reign by itself put AEW on the map and made them a viable alternative to WWE. He carried this company and consistently had the most exciting segments throughout his entire title reign. Match quality is meaningless to me if you don't have strong stories behind them. Jericho was entertainment personified, and the company started going downhill as soon as he dropped the belt.

·
Ho!
18,110 Posts
Moxley's reign is easily the best, followed easily by Jericho, then Omega's is easily last. Moxley's consistency in having great matches, great promos, with arguably feud of the year against Eddie Kingston... it was a fantastic reign and the best world title reign of any company in the last couple of years at least by far.

·
The EST of NXT
The LegitEST BOSS
32,212 Posts
Moxley's reign is easily the best, followed easily by Jericho, then Omega's is easily last. Moxley's consistency in having great matches, great promos, with arguably feud of the year against Eddie Kingston... it was a fantastic reign and the best world title reign of any company in the last couple of years at least by far.
How can you believe that when Moxley's Title reign was more mid-card than CM Punk's? There's even a debate above about it. When Jericho was champion, he was the star of the show. Moxley felt like a side act, as does Omega.

·
Ho!
18,110 Posts
How can you believe that when Moxley's Title reign was more mid-card than CM Punk's? There's even a debate above about it. When Jericho was champion, he was the star of the show. Moxley felt like a side act, as does Omega.
Because how much he’s booked during the course of his reign doesn’t impact the quality of said reign. He delivered to some degree in every match, promo, etc and it felt important whenever he defended the title.

Besides, his reign wasn’t mid-card/he wasn’t a side act. That’s always been laughable statement. Outside of one match that I can recall, he main evented every time he defended the title, so he wasn’t mid card in that regard. He just wasn’t always the focal point of every episode. To be fair, no one ever is. Frankly, I prefer it that way that he (and the champions in general) don’t have every episode dedicated to them. Sure there’s a larger issue that the shows feel unfocused a lot of the time, but that’s a separate discussion. Moxley himself always carried himself like the champ, and consistently had quality main event matches and segments.

Even Jericho’s run wasn’t exactly the focal point of the majority of dynamite episodes during his run.

·
The EST of NXT
The LegitEST BOSS
32,212 Posts
Because how much he’s booked during the course of his reign doesn’t impact the quality of said reign. He delivered to some degree in every match, promo, etc and it felt important whenever he defended the title.

Besides, his reign wasn’t mid-card/he wasn’t a side act. That’s always been laughable statement. Outside of one match that I can recall, he main evented every time he defended the title, so he wasn’t mid card in that regard. He just wasn’t always the focal point of every episode. To be fair, no one ever is. Frankly, I prefer it that way that he (and the champions in general) don’t have every episode dedicated to them. Sure there’s a larger issue that the shows feel unfocused a lot of the time, but that’s a separate discussion. Moxley himself always carried himself like the champ, and consistently had quality main event matches and segments.

Even Jericho’s run wasn’t exactly the focal point of the majority of dynamite episodes during his run.
I'm not talking about the pay-per-views man. It's about the presentation for me. When Jericho had a segment, it was a spectacle. He felt like the most important person on the show. When Moxley had a segment, the transition would feel like "HIKARU SHIDA HAS YET ANOTHER DOMINATING PERFORMANCE!!!! ....and here's Jon Moxley from the bathroom with a promo."

I want my Champion to feel like the biggest deal in the company, not an afterthought. Roman Reigns currently and Chris Jericho in the past had very prominent reigns. I don't need the champion taking up 40 minutes of the show, but I also don't want a 3-minute backstage segment.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts