Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be honest, I thought Marty Jannety was the one that was going to be the break out star when The Rockers were still together. I liked Jannety more than Shawn Michaels when they were in the Rockers together. Looking back, it's probably cause Michaels was always selling getting the crap kicked out of him and Jannety would get the hot tag and come in and save the day. Hell, I didn't even like Michaels until WM12. Just had to get that off my chest...lol

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
To be honest I hated the Rockers. I hate pretty boys who don't look like they could kick anyone's ass let alone legit looking pro wrestlers. I changed towards Jannetty to the like column for two reasons: 1) he kicked Michaels' ass in a real fight, and 2) I exchanged a few posts with him years ago on another wrestling forum.

·
Banned
5,125 Posts
To be honest I hated the Rockers.
I did too. I hated a lot of the "workhorse" teams. Like, I thought Jim Neidhart was the best part of the Hart Foundation, I hated the Brainbusters and I hated the Rockers.

I liked the Power of Pain, The Twin Towers and then later Power & Glory. HA!

I didn't like The Rockers because they didn't really DO anything. They would just run around doing drop kicks and fist drops and things like that and to me, none of it seems like it was effective. Then they would just get killed. I was such a mark!

·
Registered
567 Posts
Oh I loved the Rockers. I always thought it was such a waste that Marty's demons got in the way of his singles career.

·
Banned
8,732 Posts
By the time I started watching The Rockers had well and truly broken up. However from stuff I've seen when they were together, and what I've seen of Jannetty since, okay he was a decent wrestler, but he always looked like a bit of a geek to me. I don't think his look really fit the gimmick well. I struggle to believe that anyone really bought into the idea of Jannetty being a teen idol heartthrob.

Shawn looks very natural playing his role, but to me Jannetty just looks like a short rounded headed man pretending to be something he's not.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
I wasn't watching at the time but it's obvious looking back who the better of the two was/is. HBK and it's not even close.

·
The legend never dies
4,358 Posts
i liked marty better but when they broke up you could tell who the real talent was.

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
To be honest, I preferred Marty Jannetty when they were a team. I think it's because I found Shawn Michaels a bit unpleasant; they were supposed to be babyfaces but Shawn had a natural arrogance that he couldn't hide, and because I was young enough to believe that it was all real, it really bugged me. Shawn's natural unpleasantness actually made him a really great and believable heel. As soon as the Rockers split up I immediately preferred Shawn. During their feud in 1993, I was rooting for Shawn!

·
Registered
12,926 Posts
I saw them as equals during their Rockers run so no preference.

·
Premium Member
8,457 Posts
It was clear that Shawn was going to be the bigger singles competitor, but I do think Marty had the talent to be a solid mid card champion not a jobber to hover around the scene before leaving only having one memerable mid card feud and that was against Shawn. He did deserve better.

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
It was clear that Shawn was going to be the bigger singles competitor, but I do think Marty had the talent to be a solid mid card champion not a jobber to hover around the scene before leaving only having one memerable mid card feud and that was against Shawn. He did deserve better.
If they'd feuded in early 1992, like they were supposed to, both Shawn Michaels and Marty Jannetty would have benefitted. The demise of the Rockers was such a hot storyline that, had it reached its climax at Wrestlemania, it would be a match still highly spoken of today. As it was, Jannetty got arrested for being an idiot and their feud was put on hold for a year. It's a shame for both of them; bu the time they actually started feuding again, a lot of the steam had gone out of the angle.

·
Super Moderator Going Backwards With WF
33,423 Posts
no better moment then when Shawn super kicked Marty's head through the window at Brutus' barbershop
common mistake, yeas he superkicked hum, but he threw Marty through the window, for the time it was very violent in wwf and certainly shocked me, glad he did though lol as Micheals was destined for stardum.

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
I always liked Sean Michaels better

·
Premium Member
19,291 Posts
I loved them both as a kid. But when Shawn superkicked Marty, I cried my eyes out. (Hey, 3 years old) It terrified me at the time, and I instantly sided with Marty, being a kid and loving most faces by default. Wasn't until I was six years old that I really started loving Shawn Michaels again.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I wasn't that big a fan of the Rockers. I didn't hate them or anything, but with teams like the Hart Foundation, LOD, and Demolition, the Rockers seemed kind of blah to me.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Jannety all the way. It's a shame things turned out like they did. Think of the fueds that they could have had over the IC title and eventually the World title. Not to mention the great fueds Jannety could have had with Hart, Perfect etc. To me, the IC scence was way better than the World title scene.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Their break up is still possibly the best piece of commentating from Bobby Heenan.

I was a Marty guy though. Him beating Shawn on Raw for the IC belt is one of my child hood wrestling moments.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts