Wrestling Forum banner

Which 'Rock' do you prefer?

4713 Views 37 Replies 35 Participants Last post by  superplex23
-1998- early/mid 1999: Unwilling face. A heel in all but reaction. Runs his mouth. There's something fresh about this character, something organic. Even today, I watch it and find it thrilling.

-Mid 1999-2001: He embraces the people. He goes into ultra-catchphrase mode. This is where his energy gets turned up a notch, he becomes 'larger than life'. Loses the sideburns and the smirk.

-2002/2003/2011: Hollywood Rock.

The latter is where my opinion differs from most. I didn't enjoy it half as much. The Rock seemed himself, but more goofy; to the extent, in my opinion, of self parody. Yes, he pulled out some excellent work (the Sacramento segment is of particular merit), but still, it seemed as if he was trying slightly too hard to be The Rock, rather than just. . .being The Rock.

I think this pre- match promo illustrates my point. No excessive punning, playing on words and digging at the city. None of those things could ever match the ferocious, deadpan stoic DREAD of this promo. Its is without a doubt, my favourite Rock promo of all time, because he doesn't try to hard. It's just him, passionately running his mouth. It's his version of your classic 'scream into the camera' circa 1980s WWF promo. An incredible piece of microphone work. It HELPS if you watch the entire video package (which is also sesnsational), but if you don't want to, skip to 3.30.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1UliPqieng&feature=player_embedded

EDIT: How to you embed youtube clips?
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Fear, Fruity Pebbles, and Possum Piss
4,103 Posts
See, I have favourite moments from each era. I started watching wrestling again around September 1999 after a 5-year hiatus, so I missed the Nation of Domination/Corporation/mid-1999 face months of The Rock and turned on as he was about to hit his peak of popularity. So, I have fond memories of September 1999-June 2000 so that would have to be my sentimental favourite period.

I've obviously watched everything since then, and although in the later years he was less 'cool' and cocky like Corporate Rock was, but I think the exact opposite to you in that his earlier characters were more 'in character' and his later personas was more natural.

1998-2001 it was Dwayne Johnson firmly playing the character of The Rock.
2001-2004 it was Dwayne Johnson who we knew as The Rock but was more naturally just being his charismatic, hilarious self.

Although I'm a sucker for his face run when he was getting ridiculous pops and mega-worshipped, I mark hardest for the Hollywood Rock run. It lasted all of 3 months and left a lasting impact on me. Every promo was just gold and he still has me laughing my ass off now.

· Banned
5,193 Posts
The first from those 3. Kinda the edition before he was Catchphrase-combo-chain-maker, like his 2nd character from the list.

My top Rock list would be:

1) -1998- early/mid 1999
2) -2002/2003/2011: Hollywood Rock
3) -Mid 1999-2001
4) -I bring it via satellite

· Kit Kat
225 Posts
The first from those 3. Kinda the edition before he was Catchphrase-combo-chain-maker, like his 2nd character from the list.

My top Rock list would be:

1) -1998- early/mid 1999
2) -2002/2003/2011: Hollywood Rock
3) -Mid 1999-2001
4) -I bring it via satellite
This

Reactions: -Extra-

· Kit Kat
225 Posts
"Peoples champion" 1999-2002-The Rock too me just works much better as a face.
I think the Rock actually works better as a heel, it's just that because the guy is so damn funny and talented the crowd end up truning him face anyway.

The Corporation, for me was The Rock's defining era

· Banned
4,476 Posts
Seriously? Do we have to have this thread every single week?

I want The Rock from 2004-2010. Bring that one back!!!1!

· You're better than that Cole.
3,991 Posts
I love The Rock in any gimmick or style-no matter how many times he has changed his look, voice, appearance etc. (but then again he is my favorite wrestler of all time lol) but when I think about The Rock, the first image of him is this of his Corporation run.

In my opinion, when he was a Face in 1999 after his Corporation departure, I think he was at his absolute best in any work he has done. 1999 Face-Rock was strictly Heel but now aimed towards the other Heels most of the time and he sounded more natural on the microphone instead of being over-dramatic. When he got on the microphone, it was all about confidence, his swagger, everything just flow together so naturally back then and also it seem like he demanded that he was the People’s Champion instead of earning that title. He wasn’t technically pandering to the crowd to get cheap pops, it was almost as if he was convincing himself that he was the shit. (and the crowd obviously agreeing with him)

Now since I was a bit young, I couldn’t see any big changes of Rock cause no matter what, I just loved Rock, but now since I’m older and when I look back at The Rock’s history I can definitely see the differences of when he was a Face in 1999-2000 and 2001-2002.

Though I was still a loyal fan of him, some of the stuff he was doing from 2001-02 was a bit cringe-worthy and just over the top to the core. Still got laughs etc. but it was just not the same anymore, Rock seem like he was a bit forced and just overd-ramatic.

I just remember Rock for his big tinted shades, formal wear, Gucci shoes, slow swagger with long sideburns who DEMANDED the crowd that he was the People’s Champion back in 1999.

This is The Rock I prefer and will always be remembered as when he was in fact THE ROCK.

Then you have the greatest Rock theme of all time to go with that personality. (Yeah I said it)

· Banned
4,476 Posts

· Registered
196 Posts
-Mid 1999-2001: He embraces the people. He goes into ultra-catchphrase mode. This is where his energy gets turned up a notch, he becomes 'larger than life'. Loses the sideburns and the smirk.

For me this was him at his best. In his prime.

· Registered
840 Posts
the way he was in 1999 was my fave, late 98-2001 before he starting talking really fast. i prefered it when he spoke slower got peoples attention, it made him more charasmatic

· Registered
402 Posts
All time periods are genius in there own right....hollywood rock = best heel ever....the heel everyone boo'd but really loved at the same time.

I can still remember the moment when I thought to myself this guy is the fuckin best...it was when he said....'according to the rocks rolex...' lol when he was waiting for stone cold at that bridge and he throws him off it. Small lines like that just made laugh my ass off and I was young too but I had peers who used to fill me in.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.