Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just out of curiosity. From what I've heard these are the two worst Manias in history. From what reviewers have told me, its so bad you literally have to see it to believe it.

·
Asuka
96,572 Posts
I'm gonna say 9. We got a Giant Gonzales vs Undertaker match and Hogan won the WWF title from Yokozuna in disgusting, typical Hogan fashion. Won in 21 seconds because he refused to lay down for Bret.

Then again, WM 11 was main evented by a football player. But at least there was a 20 minute WWF title match with Shawn Michaels in it. Granted, he was facing Nash, but I assume that must have been better than all of WM 9. I haven't seen either in ages but they're both dreadful.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have actually watched both in the last year, and I must agree that they are absolutely terrible PPV - especially considering they are part of the Wrestlemania series.

If I had to choose between WM 9 and WM 11 as being the worst, I would have to say WM 9 - for the aforementioned reasons, as well as the Tatanka/HBK Intercontinental Championship match, and others.

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
Wrestlemania IX had The Steiners vs Headshrinkers, which was entertaining, and the Hogan/Beefcake vs Money Inc match, which was also not totally awful. Mr. Perfect vs Lex Luger isn't particularly good but it isn't bad, either. The weird thing about Wrestlemania IX is that WWF had a great roster at the time but they just totally bungled the booking; Bret Hart could've faced Hulk Hogan or Mr. Perfect in the title match and both would've been pretty damn good (one would've been a great passing of the torch, the other would've been a classic 5 star match). They had Randy Savage sitting around doing nothing instead of facing either Shawn Michaels for the IC title or, my preference, Undertaker in a grudge match. The Steiner Brothers were a strong tag team who should've been competing for the tag team titles. The fans would've really got behind that match as Money Inc had insane heat. Lex Luger, who was a WWF rookie at the time, should've faced Tatanka; the build up could've been centred on the fact that Tatanka was undefeated at that time and Luger was desperate to make a name for himself. Ending the streak would've been genuinely impressive, as it was quite hyped at the time. Bob backlund and Razo Ramon had a total waste of a match - it could've been quite good if they'd been given more than 1 minute. It's a shame WWF didn't book a better card; they had enough talent.

·
Banned
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wrestlemania IX had The Steiners vs Headshrinkers, which was entertaining, and the Hogan/Beefcake vs Money Inc match, which was also not totally awful. Mr. Perfect vs Lex Luger isn't particularly good but it isn't bad, either. The weird thing about Wrestlemania IX is that WWF had a great roster at the time but they just totally bungled the booking; Bret Hart could've faced Hulk Hogan or Mr. Perfect in the title match and both would've been pretty damn good (one would've been a great passing of the torch, the other would've been a classic 5 star match). They had Randy Savage sitting around doing nothing instead of facing either Shawn Michaels for the IC title or, my preference, Undertaker in a grudge match. The Steiner Brothers were a strong tag team who should've been competing for the tag team titles. The fans would've really got behind that match as Money Inc had insane heat. Lex Luger, who was a WWF rookie at the time, should've faced Tatanka; the build up could've been centred on the fact that Tatanka was undefeated at that time and Luger was desperate to make a name for himself. Ending the streak would've been genuinely impressive, as it was quite hyped at the time. Bob backlund and Razo Ramon had a total waste of a match - it could've been quite good if they'd been given more than 1 minute. It's a shame WWF didn't book a better card; they had enough talent.
You didn't exactly answer the question :p

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
WrestleMania VIII-XII are childhood favorites, so I can't really rag on either. WM IX had HBK/Tatanka, Steiners/Samoans, a solid match between Money Inc and MegaManiacs, the sight of UT being dwarfed by someone a foot taller than him, and a big surprise for the main event, which again, was awesome when I was a kid.

XI had some good stuff, too. If I had to choose, I'd say XI was not as good as IX. As far as I'm concerned, the worst WM is XV.

·
Banned
9,124 Posts
Wrestlemania 9 by a fucking mile. And to think... we were supposed to have Hulk Hogan v. Ric Flair in the main event of that event. Instead we got 3 Yokozuna matches. Okay, 2 1/2.

Oh, and the Egyptian theme was beyond fucking gay. Nothing against Egyptians, hell one of my favorite posters on this forum is Egyptian... but really, what the fuck? It would have been alright if the event was actually held in Egypt, but it was in Las Fucking Vegas. So because the event is in the desert they had to theme the event after another country that has a desert? That made absolutely no sense at all. They might as well have had Elvis impersonators jumping out of planes and parachuting into the ring. It wouldn't have been any less stupid, but at least it would have made sense. Cameo appearance by ****** Tonk Man maybe? Surely this idea crossed someone's mind.

·
Shitting On The Bastards Below
1,101 Posts
diesel vs shawn was probably Nash's best match not as great as everyone makes out though

·
Shitting On The Bastards Below
1,101 Posts
plus 11 had yoko and Owen on the card, I think Owen was superb throughout his run with yoko and team cornette

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
Wrestlemania 9 by a fucking mile. And to think... we were supposed to have Hulk Hogan v. Ric Flair in the main event of that event. Instead we got 3 Yokozuna matches. Okay, 2 1/2.

Oh, and the Egyptian theme was beyond fucking gay. Nothing against Egyptians, hell one of my favorite posters on this forum is Egyptian... but really, what the fuck? It would have been alright if the event was actually held in Egypt, but it was in Las Fucking Vegas. So because the event is in the desert they had to theme the event after another country that has a desert? That made absolutely no sense at all. They might as well have had Elvis impersonators jumping out of planes and parachuting into the ring. It wouldn't have been any less stupid, but at least it would have made sense. Cameo appearance by ****** Tonk Man maybe? Surely this idea crossed someone's mind.
There weren't 3 Yokozuna matches. It was Yoko vs Bret and Yoko vs Hogan. You might be confusing it with Wrestlemania X, where he also had 2 matches.

Also the theme was Roman, but yes, it was gay, and JR wasn't pleased either.

I actually think XI was worse, because it had so bad production values. It was like the WWF was out of money at the time.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Oh, jesus. They're both abysmal, and both have a few matches worth watching. I'll go with IX, but not by much.

·
Registered
90 Posts

Egyptian? It was Roman and it had that theme because it was held at the Ceasar's Palace in Las Vegas.

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,155 Posts
XI has no redeeming qualities. Yes, HBK/Diesel was a solid match, but it was emblematic of how screwed-up WWE's main event booking was at the time. The fans wanted Michaels to be the face and Diesel to be the heel, but Vince was still pushing Diesel as Hulk Hogan, version 2.0 and he wasn't very good in that role at all. The next night they turned Michaels face, showing just how much they knew they had to change course and had become "stuck" by the Wrestlemania timetable. Everything else about that event is just utterly lackluster and poor.

Wrestlemania IX at least has a unique setting, even if you hate it, not all of the Roman theme was abominable, but the real difference is that it actually had some decent-to-good matches in the undercard/midcard. Michaels/Tatanka has a horrible finish but it's a good-enough opener. Steiners/Headshrinkers is an underrated classic of sorts. Hennig/Luger would have worked better with the roles reversed, but it's not awful. Money, Inc. vs. Brutus and Hogan is thoroughly watchable and okay, if nothing special. But the finish of that tips you off as to what's happening later. Undertaker/Giant Gonzalez is horrible, no question, and the entire bit at the end mars the event quite badly, but there are at least things to mildly enjoy here and there about it.

Reactions: the modern myth

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
As hard as things are now that period of 1993-1996 still makes me shake my head. Wrestlemania 95 was one of the worse PPV's of all time. How does LT vs Bam Bam close over the decent Diesel/Shawn Michaels match. As hard as Wrestlemania 93 was to watch you got some good there and bullshit Hogan finish did make a few fans go home happy that did not want to see Yokozuna leave that PPV as WWE Champion.

·
Celestial Messiah
33,587 Posts
WM IX had Tatanka vs Michaels, which was a heck of a match. Very stiff, great work by both men.

And then we had the headshrinkers vs Steiner bros, which was brutal. Some great wrestling in that one.

Yoko vs Bret was actually ok

Hogan cashing in his 'hogan in the bank' contract sucked by i guess if you ignore it, its a pretty solid event. Very underrated.

Wm11 just fucking sucked in every way imaginable. No redeeming features. They even found a way to screw up Bret vs Backlund

·
My name is 905 and I've just become alive
5,111 Posts

I think you may be mentally fusing Wrestlemanias IX and X. Yokozuna fought Bret and then had the Hogan in the Bank incident at IX. He fought Luger and then Bret at X. My guess is that you were thinking he fought Luger, then Bret, then the Hogan thing happened.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts