Wrestling Forum banner

Which NINTENDO System has given you the BEST Memories and is your Favorite?

• Color TV Game

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Game Watch

• Virtual Boy

• Game Boy Advance SP

• Gameboy Micro

• Nintendo DSi/DSi XL

• Nintendo 3DS

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
~Believe~
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Nintendo has released a lot of consoles over the years whether it be handheld or not. Which system has given you the best memories from its games over the years? I voted for the Nintendo 64. To this day I still have a smile on my face every time I think about playing that console. I loved a lot of its games and to this day I still play it. What is your favorite? Here are the Nominees with descriptions thanks to Wikipedia! I am sure the upcoming Wii U will be near the top of our lists in the future.

Color TV Game:

Release Year - 1977

The Color TV Game series were five different dedicated consoles, each designed to play a specific game or set of games. They were very similar to the early Pong home console. The players controlled their paddles with dials attached directly to the machine. Additionally, as an alternative to the standard version, a white-colored C Battery powered model of the Color TV Game 6 was introduced. With a limited-run of a few hundred units, these are largely considered the most prized by serious collectors. Computer TV Game, unlike Nintendo's other console did not use a removable storage system to store its games, either in cartridge or disc form. It was only distributed in Japan and was a port of Nintendo's arcade game Computer Othello.

Game & Watch: (Not sure if its considered as a console but adding it anyways)

Release Year - 1980

The Game & Watch series were handheld electronic games made by Nintendo and created by its game designer Gunpei Yokoi from 1980 to 1991. Most featured a single game that could be played on an LCD screen, in addition to a clock and an alarm. Most titles had a "GAME A" and a "GAME B" button. Game B is usually a faster, more difficult version of Game A. Different models were manufactured, with some consoles having two screens (the Multiscreen Series) and a clam-shell design. The Nintendo DS later reused this design. The Game & Watch made handhelds vastly popular. Many toy companies followed in the footsteps of Game & Watch, such as Tiger Electronics and their Star Wars themed games. Nintendo's Game & Watch units were eventually superseded by the original Game Boy. Each Game & Watch was only able to play one game, due to the use of a segmented LCD display being pre-printed with an overlay. The speed and responsiveness of the games was also limited by the time it took the LCD to change state.

Nintendo Entertainment System/Nintendo Family Computer:

Release Year - 1983 (Japan) 1985 (North America)

The Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) is an 8-bit video game console released by Nintendo in North America, South America, Europe, Asia, Oceania and Africa and was the Nintendo's first home video game console. In Japan, it is known as the Famicom (Family Computer). Selling over 61 million units worldwide, the NES helped revitalize the video game industry following the video game crash of 1983 and set the standard for subsequent consoles in everything from game design to business practices. The NES was the first console for which the manufacturer openly courted third-party developers. Many of Nintendo's most iconic franchises, such as The Legend of Zelda and Metroid were started on the NES.
Nintendo of Japan continued to repair Famicom consoles until October 31, 2007, attributing the decision to discontinue support to an increasing shortage of the necessary parts.

Game boy/Game Boy Pocket:

Release Year - 1989 (Game Boy) 1996 (Gameboy Pocket)

The Game Boy, is an 8-bit handheld video game device developed and manufactured by Nintendo. It was released in Japan on April 21, 1989, in North America in August 1989, and in Europe on September 28, 1990. It is the first handheld console in the Game Boy line, and was created by Gunpei Yokoi and Nintendo Research & Development 1—the same staff who had designed the Game & Watch series as well as several popular games for the Nintendo Entertainment System. The classic Game Boy was sold in a number of different revisions and variations, including the streamlined Game Boy Pocket.

Super Nintendo Entertainment System/Japanese Super Famicom:

Release Year - 1990 (Japan's Japanese Super Famicom) 1991 (North America' SNES)

The Super Nintendo Entertainment System, also known as Super Nintendo, Super NES or SNES, is a 16-bit video game console released by Nintendo in North America, South America, Europe, Asia, Oceania and Africa. In Japan it is known as the "Super Famicom" (Super Family Computer). In South Korea, it is known as the Super Comboy and was distributed by Hyundai Electronics.

The SNES was Nintendo's second home console, following the Nintendo Entertainment System. Whereas the earlier console had struggled in the PAL region and large parts of Asia, the SNES was a global success, albeit one that could not match its predecessor's popularity in Northeast Asia and North America—due in part to increased competition from Sega's Mega Drive console (released in North America as the Genesis). Despite its relatively late start, the SNES became the best selling console of the 16-bit era, selling over 49 million systems worldwide. The SNES library is known for upgrading some of Nintendo's most famous franchises, and making them games even more critically acclaimed, such as Super Metroid, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Final Fantasy IV and VI, Donkey Kong Country and Super Mario World, as well starting some popular franchises such as Star Fox, EarthBound and Mega Man X.

Virtual Boy:

Release Year - 1995

The Virtual Boy was the first video game console capable of displaying "true 3D graphics" out of the box. Whereas most video games use monocular cues to achieve the illusion of three dimensions on a two-dimensional screen, the Virtual Boy creates an illusion of depth through the effect known as parallax. In a manner similar to using a head-mounted display, the user looks into an eyepiece made of neoprene on the front of the machine, and then an eyeglass-style projector allows viewing of the monochromatic (in this case, red) image.

Nintendo 64:

Release Year - 1996

The Nintendo 64, commonly called the N64, and codenamed Ultra 64, was Nintendo's third home video game console for the international market. It was released with three launch games in Japan (Super Mario 64, Pilotwings 64 and Saikyo Habu Shogi) and two in North America (Super Mario 64 and Pilotwings 64). PAL regions also had three launch titles (Super Mario 64, Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire and Pilotwings 64) with Turok: Dinosaur Hunter delayed until three days after launch. Other key games included Donkey Kong 64, Diddy Kong Racing, Banjo-Kazooie, the two games in The Legend of Zelda series, GoldenEye 007, Mario Kart 64, Super Smash Bros. and Star Fox 64. The Nintendo 64 sold 32.93 million systems.

Game Boy Color:

Release Year - 1998

The Game Boy Color is Nintendo's successor to the 8-bit Game Boy handheld game console, and was released on October 21, 1998 in Japan, November 19, 1998 in North America, November 23, 1998 in Europe and November 27, 1998 in the United Kingdom. It features a color screen and is slightly thicker and taller than the Game Boy Pocket. As with the original Game Boy, it has an 8-bit processor. The Game Boy and Game Boy Color combined have sold 118.69 million units worldwide.

Game Boy Advance:

Release Year - 2001

The Game Boy Advance (often shortened to GBA) is a 32-bit handheld video game console developed, manufactured, and marketed by Nintendo. It is the successor to the Game Boy Color. It was released in Japan on March 21, 2001; in North America on June 11, 2001; in Australia and Europe on June 22, 2001; and in the People's Republic of China on June 8, 2004 (excluding Hong Kong).

Nintendo Gamecube:

Release Year - 2001

The Nintendo GameCube is Nintendo's sixth generation game console, the same generation as Sega's Dreamcast, Sony's PlayStation 2 and Microsoft's Xbox. Until the console's unveiling at SpaceWorld 2000, the design project was known as Dolphin—this can still be seen in the console and its accessories' model numbers. The GameCube is the most compact sixth generation console. The GameCube is Nintendo's first game console to use optical discs rather than game cartridges. An agreement with the optical drive manufacturer Matsushita led to a DVD-playing GameCube system named the Panasonic Q, which was only released in Japan. Much of Nintendo's core line-up centered on sequels to their established hit franchises such as Super Mario Sunshine, Super Smash Bros. Melee, The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker, Metroid Prime, Pokemon Colosseum and Star Fox Adventures, while new franchises like Animal Crossing and Pikmin were born, although the former franchise had seen a Japan-exclusive release on the N64. The Nintendo GameCube has sold 21.74 million units

Game Boy Advance SP:

Release Year - 2003

The Game Boy Advance SP), released in February 2003, is an upgraded version of Nintendo's Game Boy Advance. The "SP" in Game Boy Advance SP stands for Special. The SP was marketed at US$99.99 at launch. In September 2004, Nintendo lowered the price to US$79.99.

Nintendo DS:

Release Year - 2004

The Nintendo DS is a portable game console. It was first released on November 21, 2004. A distinctive feature of the system is the presence of two separate LCD screens, the lower of which is a touchscreen, encompassed within a clamshell design, similar to the Game Boy Advance SP. The Nintendo DS also features a built-in microphone and supports wireless standards, allowing players to interact with each other within short range, or online with the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection service. The Nintendo DS is the first Nintendo console to be released in North America before Japan.

Game Boy Micro:

Release Year - 2005

Game Boy Micro was first released in September 2005 in the market. The system is the last console of the Game Boy line. The Micro is very small in size and has a sleek design.

Nintendo DS Lite:

Release Year - 2006

The Nintendo DS Lite is a slimmer, brighter, and more lightweight redesign of the Nintendo DS, designed to be aesthetically sleeker, while taking styling cues from the Game Boy Advance SP, and to appeal to broader commercial audiences. It was announced on January 26, 2006, more than a month before its initial release in Japan on March 2, 2006 due to overwhelming demand for the original model. It has been released in Australia, North America, Europe, New Zealand, Singapore, and defined regions in South America, the Middle East, and East Asia. As of December 31, 2009, shipments of the DS Lite have reached 89.19 million units worldwide, according to Nintendo.

Wii:

Release Year - 2006

The Wii is Nintendo's seventh-generation video game console. The system's code name was "Revolution", and as with the Nintendo GameCube, this reference appears on the console and its accessories.

The major feature of the Wii console is the console's wireless controller, the Wii Remote, affectionatly refered to as the Wiimote, that may be used as a handheld pointing device and can detect motion and rotation in three dimensions. The controller comes with a Nunchuk accessory which provides additional controls, including more motion sensing. The controller also contains a speaker and a rumble device to provide sensory feedback, and can be used to turn the console on and off. The console also features a stand-by mode entitled WiiConnect24, enabling it to receive messages and updates over the Internet while consuming little electrical power. The console is bundled with a game, Wii Sports. Nintendo later made a black version with both Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort. This new version included the Wii MotionPlus accessory. As of June 30, 2011, the Wii has sold 87.57 million units worldwide.

Nintendo has sold 87.57 million Wii consoles through June 30, 2011

Nintendo DSi/DSi XL:

Release Years: 2009/2010

The Nintendo DSi was launched in 2008 and 2009 in Japan, North America, PAL territories, and other regions. It is a seventh-generation console and the third iteration of the Nintendo DS; its primary market rival is Sony's PlayStation Portable. A larger model, entitled Nintendo DSi XL, was launched in 2009 and 2010 in the aforementioned regions.

Nintendo 3DS:

Release Year - 2011

The Nintendo 3DS is able to project stereoscopic three-dimensional effects without requirement of additional accessories. The Nintendo 3DS features backward compatibility with Nintendo DS series software, including Nintendo DSi software. Announcing the device in March 2010, Nintendo officially unveiled it at E3 2010, with the company inviting attendees to use demonstration units.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
I gotta say it's a 3-way tie between the SNES, 64 and Wii. Yeah I've played all of the other systems other than the 3DS, but those three have brought me the most joy. In fact, the Wii made my ps3 breaking down a lot easier to take.

BTW do Wii's break down as rampantly as ps3'a and 360's? I've never heard of one actually breaking down like they do.

Edit: I still remember playing WCW/NWO Revenge on 64 and brutslizing three of my friends for an enrire night with Raven. That Evenflow DDT was brutal.

·
22,784 Posts
SNES, but its a close call between that and the Wii. Had a ton of fun on the SNES growing up when it first came out, and had a ton of fun with the Wii since that came out, especially with the Virtual Console games lol. Me and my mate once stayed up until about 4am while we were living together at Uni playing on Super Mario World on the Wii WC lol. We took it in turns playing a level each... except he sucked so I ended up having to take over usually :p. Fun night.

·
Friends Come And Go,Banners Hang Forever
25,581 Posts
Gameboy colour was so much fun for me as a kid because of the pokemon games.
N64-Just the best thing ever, honestly, I loved when you could actually be in the same room playing against friends instead of playing with them against random people which will never be as fun.
Wii-Not really as good as the others, but when I'm high and playing with my friends it is still really enjoyable.

·
~Believe~
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BTW do Wii's break down as rampantly as ps3'a and 360's? I've never heard of one actually breaking down like they do.
I have had mine for nearly a year and I have had no problems. I have had my XBOX 360 for almost 3 years and the only problem I have had with it is it can be finicky with some DVD's, but that's it.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Gameboy Color, hands down. So nice I bought it twice. Shoot, the reason why I wear glasses now is because I wrecked my eyes playing Pokemon Silver by night-light. :p

EDIT: Oh my gawd, I just realized that I used to have that very same Game & Watch system in the OP's post. Donkey Kong Jr., I think. I wonder what happened to it, I was real young when I had it......wow.

·
~Believe~
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
EDIT: Oh my gawd, I just realized that I used to have that very same Game & Watch system in the OP's post. Donkey Kong Jr., I think. I wonder what happened to it, I was real young when I had it......wow.
The funny thing is I had no idea what the hell the first two systems I listed were lol, so I am glad I made this post as I have learned much more of the older things. I always thought the first thing ever released by nintendo was the NES

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
Any variation of gameboy tbh, I've had some of the other consoles like the N64 and the Gamecube but some I was too young to appreciate and I think I only ever had 2 gamecube games.

Gameboy colour/Advance/SP are right in the middle, whereas I don't really play my DS anymore and the Wii has never really mattered.

·
~Believe~
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nintendo 64. Best console ever, the attitude era of video games.
Indeed, the games I played growing up live on in my childhood memories forever lol:

Legend of Zelda Ocarina of time
Legend of Zelda Majoras Mask
Banjo Kazooie
Banjo Tooie
Goldeneye 007
No Mercy
Star Wars Rogue Squadron
007 The World is Not Enough
Star Fox 64
Mission Impossible
Super Mario 64

Just to name a few lol

·
Fairy Hunter
1,782 Posts
Out of all of those, I'd have to go with the GameCube. I got an indigo one for my ninth birthday as my first home video game console with the following games:

Nascar: Dirt to Daytona
Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2
Sonic Adventure 2: Battle
SpongeBob SquarePants: Battle for Bikini Bottom
Super Smash Bros. Melee

Those games, along with the GameCube, marked a huge dot in my childhood, because there is one thing those four games have in common, and that's the fact that they're all fucking awesome. What made this moment even better was the fact that I received my GameCube in 2003, one of the best years of my life not only for my moments at home, but as school as well. To this day, I still own that same GameCube and those five games plus many others, and I play them as often as I can. Despite having my Wii and GameCube in my room, I play all my GameCube games on my GameCube. I will do everything in my power to ensure my GameCube lives on.

·
Men of Mayhem
7,330 Posts
Nintendo 64, without a doubt.

It introduced me to gaming as I know it. Don't get me wrong, I played Pacman, NES, etc, but when I played Mario 64 it all changed for me.

·
~Believe~
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Out of all of those, I'd have to go with the GameCube.
Gamecube is not in my top 3 choices.....because I have my nintendo wii ;). I LOVE gamecube games so I am pretty happy my Nintendo Wii can play Gamecube games AND Wii games =). I am still keeping my gamecube though, mainly because if my wii breaks down I will still be able to play the great Gamecube games I love =). I think the reason why I love the N64 the most is because I grew up playing it, so many memories. That's why I am glad I made this thread, love reading which systems brought the same memories that the N64 brought me.

Nintendo N64

tsk tsk, must not forget these ;)

One game I have wanted to play is Conkers bad fur day, but its so expensive these days

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I would have to say the 64

I was a Sega man up till 1997 and this was my first nintendo system

Its also the system that I got the most use out of

1 - 20 of 158 Posts