Wrestling Forum banner

Vote on which YOU feel was the biggest?

• Ultimate Warrior Vs Hulk Hogan

Votes: 11 84.6%
  • The Rock Vs John Cena

Votes: 2 15.4%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
A wallaby? Well it's like a kangaroo but smaller.
18,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just thinking about this, but which main event do you think was the biggest out of the two?

I know Rock/Cena had two Mania's (Twice in a lifetime), so maybe it's kinda hard to compare but in regards to the era's Warrior and Hogan was the BIGGEST thing ever back then (it was huge, ask Edge!) .... but in todays wrestling world Rock Vs Cena was also pretty damn huge also, but which is the biggest do you think?

Warrior/Hogan were the two top guys of the company, alongside the fact that whoever won got BOTH belts, Rock/Cena was on return for Rock and didn't have two titles on the line, but was huge none the less.

So which do you think is/was the biggest in regards to these two feuds, you can't under estimate either really, I suppose it's a whole battle of the era's thing, however what are your thoughts?

·
You know who I am, but you don't know why I'm here
1,102 Posts
Warrior/Hogan and it's not even close.

To be honest (and haters might REALLY hate this) Cena/Rock I think could've been bigger with a time machine and prime Rock vs. prime Cena. With the way wrestling has gone, you've got an even larger worldwide audience full of (admittedly young/female) Cena fans vs. dudes and AE marks who are STILL crazy about the Rock 14 years after his prime. Those two at their peak (ala Hogan/Warrior) could've actually been bigger.

As it is/was, though-- Hogan/Warrior for sheer spectacle, and what they both meant AT THAT TIME. Hogan WAS wrestling, and Warrior was the biggest thing going who'd JUST ascended to the top. The Rock is doing a way-past-his-prime comeback against Cena who's on the tail end of a great career, after 6 years of the same old, same old.

Just my opinion.

Reactions: Barry_O

·
Still training, saying my prayers, eating my vitam
4,551 Posts
Warrior vs. Hogan was bigger than both Rock vs. Cenas combined. The money doesn't matter, if they had twelve more matches it wouldn't matter.

·
Registered
10,028 Posts
In order:

1. Hogan/Warrior
2. Cena/Rock I
3. Hogan/Rock

All 3 were HUGE, but WM 18 buyrates disappointed. That's why I put Cena/Rock I above it. There STILL making money off Cena/Rock. Hogan/Warrior speaks for itself.

·
18,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting responses, I think you're right, it's difficult because like Kowalski mentioned above, you can't go by money and things like that in different era's, so it's more about what means more, what was bigger in the wrestling world and match in general, if that makes sense.

It had me thinking ....

·
Registered
10,028 Posts
Doesn't matter about the money? :lmao it's a business. Money is the only thing that matters.

·
18,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Doesn't matter about the money? :lmao it's a business. Money is the only thing that matters.
You know what I mean, I'm not talking about that, I'm talking about the biggest match in wrestling, what means the most as a match, the characters against each other, the excitement, so on and so forth.

I'm not interested which made the most money, I'm interested to know which was the biggest in regards to wrestling.

·
Team Narcisse
7,940 Posts
Depends on how you look at it.

I give Cena/Rock the nod in the area of appeal outside of wrestling fans. The Rock made it huge outside of wrestling and I am sure that is why the buy rates broke all records. It was a money making machine that was good for business, but the effect it had on the product itself is questionable to me as a wrestling fan. Rock had been gone 7 years so as a wrestler he was a legend, but not the top guy so it never had the true passing of the torch feel to it.

Warrior/Hogan changed everything. Never before had there been a main event with the two top faces that held both titles facing off. The dominance Hogan enjoyed the previous 6 years has never been approached since. Cena isn't even close. Warrior came along and quickly developed a following that rivaled Hogan's and his won/loss record was nearly impeccable(Thanks Heenan) Hogan losing clean to Warrior was a true passing of the torch, IMO even more so than Hogan/Andre as Andre was way out of his prime by the time the match occurred. Hogan was truly the most dominant guy at the time versus the young up and comer. It was the first time Hogan ever didn't look invincible since he won the belt in 84. Trust me Cena looked east to beat compared to what Hogan was.

Reactions: Barry_O

·
18,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Depends on how you look at it.

I give Cena/Rock the nod in the area of appeal outside of wrestling fans. The Rock made it huge outside of wrestling and I am sure that is why the buy rates broke all records. It was a money making machine that was good for business, but the effect it had on the product itself is questionable to me as a wrestling fan. Rock had been gone 7 years so as a wrestler he was a legend, but not the top guy so it never had the true passing of the torch feel to it.

Warrior/Hogan changed everything. Never before had there been a main event with the two top faces that held both titles facing off. The dominance Hogan enjoyed the previous 6 years has never been approached since. Cena isn't even close. Warrior came along and quickly developed a following that rivaled Hogan's and his won/loss record was nearly impeccable(Thanks Heenan) Hogan losing clean to Warrior was a true passing of the torch, IMO even more so than Hogan/Andre as Andre was way out of his prime by the time the match occurred. Hogan was truly the most dominant guy at the time versus the young up and comer. It was the first time Hogan ever didn't look invincible since he won the belt in 84. Trust me Cena looked east to beat compared to what Hogan was.
Yeah, thats a very interesting post.

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
Rock/Cena did record business but I feel in the long run, Hogan/Warrior will still have left a bigger impact. It was virtually unheard of back then to have a face/face match (let alone one that headlined Wrestlemania) and Warrior became the first man since the birth of Hulkamania in 1984 to pin Hulk Hogan cleanly.

Wrestlemania 28 mostly did better business wise because:

-Wrestlemania is such a huge spectacle now that it can do huge business regardless of what the card is
-Rock, one of the biggest stars of all time, was returning to the ring for the first time in years (not counting the meaningless tag team match at SS 2011) and he was bringing a whole lot of mainstream interest from Hollywood with him
-They hyped it up much more than any other match in history. I.E Booked it a year in advance, showed a documentary on TV detailing both Cena and Rock's careers and talking about their upcoming match, had some deal with Youtube where YT was even advertising it as "Once In A Lifetime" on their front page in the last week or two before Mania, etc.

·
18,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rock/Cena did record business but I feel in the long run, Hogan/Warrior will still have left a bigger impact. It was virtually unheard of back then to have a face/face match (let alone one that headlined Wrestlemania) and Warrior became the first man since the birth of Hulkamania in 1984 to pin Hulk Hogan cleanly.

Wrestlemania 28 mostly did better business wise because:

-Wrestlemania is such a huge spectacle now that it can do huge business regardless of what the card is
-Rock, one of the biggest stars of all time, was returning to the ring for the first time in years (not counting the meaningless tag team match at SS 2011) and he was bringing a whole lot of mainstream interest from Hollywood with him
-They hyped it up much more than any other match in history. I.E Booked it a year in advance, showed a documentary on TV detailing both Cena and Rock's careers and talking about their upcoming match, had some deal with Youtube where YT was even advertising it as "Once In A Lifetime" on their front page in the last week or two before Mania, etc.
Yeeeeah, I think you're hitting the nail on the head there with this one, I was asking more so in regards to 'Wrestling' and it's history and the biggest thing, without the whole 'business' aspect being brought into the conversation here, I mean it from a pure 'wrestling' terms, what meant the most, which was more anticipated etc.. that kinda thing.

Nice reply :)

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Rock vs Cena is the biggest drawing feud of all time,so for me its Rock vs Cena as far as pure monetary impact is concerned.Look at these numbers:

WM27= $62 million one day gross(excluding DVD /merchandise sales)

WM28= $67 million one day gross(excluding DVDs/merchandise sales)

WM29= $72 million one day gross(excluding DVDs/merchandise sales
Total = $201 million one day gross(excluding DVDs/merchandise sales)

No other feud has had so much monetary impact in such a short span of time.

This makes Rock/Cena feud the greatest drawing feud of all time.

However,just for the better clash of characters feuds like Rock vs Hogan,Rock vs Austin,Warrior vs Hogan,Hogan vs Andre,would be remembered more fondly by the fans.

PS:For my 15 year old cousin,Cena defeating Rock was the biggest deal on the planet.So for young people of this era,Cena vs Rock is indeed the greatest feud(even based upon characters).

·
18,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Rock vs Cena is the biggest drawing feud of all time,so for me its Rock vs Cena as far as pure monetary impact is concerned.Look at these numbers:

WM27= $62 million one day gross(excluding DVD /merchandise sales)

WM28= $67 million one day gross(excluding DVDs/merchandise sales)

WM29= $72 million one day gross(excluding DVDs/merchandise sales
Total = $201 million one day gross(excluding DVDs/merchandise sales)

No other feud has had so much monetary impact in such a short span of time.

This makes Rock/Cena feud the greatest drawing feud of all time.

However,just for the better clash of characters feuds like Rock vs Hogan,Rock vs Austin,Warrior vs Hogan,Hogan vs Andre,would be remembered more fondly by the fans.

PS:For my 15 year old cousin,Cena defeating Rock was the biggest deal on the planet.So for young people of this era,Cena vs Rock is indeed the greatest feud(even based upon characters).
But the thread was in regards to what it means to wrestling really, you can't really compare money in two different era's, for obvious reasons.

I think, after thinking about it for a while, and reading other responses Warrior/Hogan blows the Rock/Cena out of the water really, for the impact it had, how big it was, what it meant for wrestling etc... although Rock and Cena was huge too, and is definitely up there as something that's going to be memorable for years to come in wrestling too, I don't think it was as big of a deal as Hogan/Warrior was when it come to what it meant for wrestling, I know it's a tough one to decide though, which is why I asked this thread.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts