Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Vince gives me a comedy gimmick
6,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every year, in almost every sport (especially football) there will be teams that were mere footnotes the year before making big splashes and having great seasons. For example, last year the Tampa Bay Buccaneers were 3-13, this year, they already have 7 wins with 6 games left and are in the playoff hunt, which was unexpected by most people. Also, last year my Michigan State Spartans were an average 6-7, and this year they were 11-1 and were co-Big Ten Champions. yes, I feel like mentioning that, since I'm still buzzing from it

What I'm getting at is, which do you think is it harder to win games in, at college or in the pros? When I mean win, I mean win a heavy dose of games (say 8+) and championships (conference or national). There's many pros and cons to both sides, and I'll use NCAA Football and the NFL as my examples.

Why it's harder to win in the NFL:
-It's the pros. The players are more talented and are more evenly matched.
-You can't pick all of your players. What I mean by this is in NCAA you can go and recruit whatever guys you want to fit your system. In the NFL the draft is in reverse order so you won't get all of the prospects that you desire.
-Money is a factor. If you can't dish out some money to some big time players you won't have as much talent.
-Schedule is tougher. Every year, pretty much every BCS team in the NCAA schedules at LEAST 2 cupcakes, and usually has 2-3 more gimme conference games, leading to only 1 more win to become bowl eligible. In the NFL, like I said, the teams are more evenly matched talent wise and the underdogs aren't just there to get a nice pay (like most FCS teams).

Why it's harder to win in NCAA Football:
-It's college. The guys aren't as talented and you have to coach your ass off to get the most talent out of the players.
-National Powers. Teams like Texas, Ohio State, and USC will always get the top players because they're always competing in the spotlight on national TV, leaving most lower-tier BCS teams fighting for the lesser prospects. Plus, those teams will always be at the top, save a down year ever once in a blue moon.
-Academics. While many players get 'lame' degrees, colleges such as Stanford, Northwestern, and Vanderbilt value education over athletics, which means most players have to juggle both, which can be difficult. In the NFL, you're only worried about playing football.
-You have a constant turnover of players. In the NCAA players can stay for (obviously) only a maximum of 4 years. That means that you're losing 10-20 guys each year that are meaningful to your team. In the NFL, some guys play for 10+ years on the same team, which is beneficial especially if they're top players (such as Brady and Manning).

So, which do you guys believe is tougher to win consistently at? I actually find this question to be quite stumping, as I can see reasons for either side.

·
40,796 Posts
It's the NFL and it's not even close. Teams are actually extremely close talent wise. It's a much, much more cerebral game. Whoever has the mental edge will almost always win; preparation, morale, focus, emotion...these are all mental traits and you have to have them at a very high level to succeed in the NFL. It's also night and day when it comes to complexity.

·
LIVE ACTION!
1,436 Posts
I think it's harder to win in College sports than in pro sports. In the pros, you've already signed on the dotted line and don't have to really prove anything because you're getting paid regardless of how bad you perform [to an extent]. While the only incentive to play hard is to get a bigger pay check.

In college though, you've gotta bust your ass day in and day out to first catch the eye of college schools in your respective sport. Once you get there, you gotta bust your ass day in and day out to prove you want to be there. Then once you're there ... it's busting your ass 365 days a year to keep your spot on the roster and eventually move up to the top.

Yeah, the pros may be more evenly matched but in college sports you've got the schools that have little to no consistent success and when/if they do play a big school (Appalachian State @ Michigan Wolverines NCAA:Football a couple years ago) those kids got nothing to lose so they go out there and soak up some of the spotlight at the expense of one of the most prominent athletic programs.

Not to mention, pros don't really have a home field/court advantage when they're at home while colleges can have absolutely vicious fan sections, making it harder on the players to play in that environment.

Verdict: College is harder to win in.

·
LIVE ACTION!
1,436 Posts
You don't understand the pro game obviously.
And how so? Most pro players are prima donnas and are out for their own success in most cases. Because I prefer the college game, the way it's played and the desire for the program to succeed rather than individual success means I don't understand the "pro game"?

They asked for an opinion and I gave mine. Yeah the pro game may be "more cerebral" but I think it's tougher to win in amateur sports than it is in pro sports. I've been there and played my fair share of bad teams through high school and had the pleasure of trying out for a college basketball team as a walk-on but didn't make it on sadly, and I never made it to the pro level ... and it's a hell of a lot tougher to play against people in an amateur level than it looks from the comfort of your couch.

·
40,796 Posts
The question is which harder to win.

Prima donnas don't win so they're out of the equation. And prima donnas are actually in my favor. It's easier to coast and go on auto pilot in the NFL so that makes it harder to win. Most NFL players are NOT prima donnas, it just seems that way because they make headlines.

Preference is irrelevant and personal experience means nothing here since none of us have played in the NFL. Anyone with a general understanding of the NFL knows how incredibly hard and complex the game is. Maybe you should educate yourself on the NFL game. The more you delve the more you'll see how incredibly hard a win is to get in the NFL.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
College. In NFL, every team has a legitimate shot to win the title. Even if its a small one for some. If you can get into the playoffs, you can get hot. The Jets last year did it and almost made the superbowl. The Ravens won their title as a wildcard. And the climate and appeal of a city doesn't have as big an effect on where players will go. People are just as likely to play in the cold of Pittsburgh or New England, as they are in the warmth of Oakland or Miami.

In college, most teams stand no chance of even getting into the championship game, regardless of what they do. Win all your games, it means nothing for most teams. TCU this year. Boise State the past few. If you're in the wrong conference, you're screwed. Not to mention how important climate is. Everybody who can go to warm-weather schools like Florida or Texas, will almost always choose that over Cold-Weather U. There's some exceptions, like Ohio State, but even they're struggling to recruit against big time warm-weather schools.

·
Registered
21,634 Posts
I think it's easier to win pro sports tbh because you know what your opponents are like because you've seen them on tv. You know your opponents games and you know their strengths and weaknesses, so it's easier to formulate a game plan against them. You will be playing against a lot better players in the pro however if you were in the situation of playing against a pro team, you must be pretty good yourself. So the fact that they're top quality doesn't really matter because you'd be top quality too.

Where as in ammeter sports you don't really know who your opponents are, they're just guys playing in a team against you. You have no idea who's good, who their weak link is etc. I play university hockey and have no idea who my opponents are going to be each week. All I know is what team I'm playing against and how they've performed that season. It's difficult to pinpoint teams weak points to exploit them because you don't know what they're like till you're already in the game and playing against them.

Now in terms of your argument, I don't know how big college sports are over in the States and if all teams get their games on television of some sort or if it's just certain teams who end up on TV.

·
The North Remembers
20,749 Posts
Harder to win in? Pros.

The game is faster, the coaching is better, and the players are supreme athletes. No game is a gimme.

·
Registered
6 Posts
College. In NFL, every team has a legitimate shot to win the title. Even if its a small one for some. If you can get into the playoffs, you can get hot. The Jets last year did it and almost made the superbowl. The Ravens won their title as a wildcard. And the climate and appeal of a city doesn't have as big an effect on where players will go. People are just as likely to play in the cold of Pittsburgh or New England, as they are in the warmth of Oakland or Miami.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts