Wrestling Forum banner

Which GE Mid Carder Would You Give A Clean Win Over Hogan To?

• Jake Roberts

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Mr. Perfect

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • Ted Dibiase

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Rick Rude

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Team Narcisse
7,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you were the booker during the Golden Era and could only choose one of these Guys to give a clean win over Hogan to and elevate them to long term main event status, who would you choose?

Jake Roberts
Mr. Perfect
Ted Dibiase
Rick Rude

·
A wallaby? Well it's like a kangaroo but smaller.
18,013 Posts
Hmmm, thats a good one!!!!! I've gone for Mr Perfect, simply because I feel it would have benefited him more so, I was debating between him and Dibiase, but I think with Dibiase, it would have been much better to have a non clean win, simply because of how good his character was in regards to this.

I know Perfect was a good heel also, but he did have a pretty good face run as well, so I think it would have to be him..

Rude also, I feel a non clean win and Jake Roberts, is another good choice, but I thought Perfect was more suited to it.

·
Team Narcisse
7,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm, thats a good one!!!!! I've gone for Mr Perfect, simply because I feel it would have benefited him more so, I was debating between him and Dibiase, but I think with Dibiase, it would have been much better to have a non clean win, simply because of how good his character was in regards to this.

I know Perfect was a good heel also, but he did have a pretty good face run as well, so I think it would have to be him..

Rude also, I feel a non clean win and Jake Roberts, is another good choice, but I thought Perfect was more suited to it.
I think Perfect would have had the best chance of the 4 to sustain the momentum afterwards.

·
18,013 Posts
I agree :)

·
Banned
10,758 Posts
Outside of Roddy Piper,he is the greatest to never win the World Title.

The only guy who isn't a midcarder among the options provided by the OP.

One of the greatest gimmicks of all time.

One of the greatest heels in WWE history

·
Team Narcisse
7,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Outside of Roddy Piper,he is the greatest to never win the World Title.

The only guy who isn't a midcarder among the options provided by the OP.

One of the greatest gimmicks of all time.

One of the greatest heels in WWE history

I have always wished that they would have had a WM4 finals rematch at SS88 and let Ted get the title from Savage, They could have let Savage get the belt back at RR and still done Hogan/Savage at WM5.

·
Registered
880 Posts
All are good choices, but if I had to choose just one it would be Curt Hennig. I wouldn't have minded seeing DiBiase or Rude get a dirty win over Hogan, but Hennig would have benefited more from a clean win. I read somewhere that one of Vince's original plans for Wrestlemania 6 was to have Mr. Perfect beat Hogan for the WWF title, but Hogan shot it down by using the same "he's too small and can't draw" excuse that he used with Bret Hart 3 years later.

·
18,013 Posts
All are good choices, but if I had to choose just one it would be Curt Hennig. I wouldn't have minded seeing DiBiase or Rude get a dirty win over Hogan, but Hennig would have benefited more from a clean win.
Exactly my thoughts also on this.

·
Likes wrestling....
8,223 Posts
CreepyCrawl I know what you are asking and you are a great forum member with good topics. So before I go further know this is not a dig at you.

Didn't all of these guys main event shows all over the country?

Has the PPV culture changed our definition of what a mid-cared is?

In the actual WWF Expansion Era (once again the GE was the 50's), there were fewer "PPV'S" and the culture was not established. The average fan got a steady dose of house shows. All of these guys were main eventing house shows. I mean I remember Jake no showing a house show in Nashville once and the crowd almost rioted because it was supposed to be him and Honkeytonk Man in the Main Event.

But that's not your question, to actually answer the question, I guess I go with Perfect as who I would have liked to see get it, but Rude as the one who probably could have used it.

·
18,013 Posts
They were all mid card talents that were usually involved in mid card feuds and matches where as your top dogs like Hogan would be the main event, Warrior and Savage maybe at those times, so these are considered mid card talent and were in the odd main event, simply cause they had a feud with a main event star (IE Rick Rude with Warrior in the steel cage for example), but from that era they're considered mid card talent really, bit like Dolph Ziggler today :)

·
Likes wrestling....
8,223 Posts
They were all mid card talents that were usually involved in mid card feuds and matches where as your top dogs like Hogan would be the main event, Warrior and Savage maybe at those times, so these are considered mid card talent and were in the odd main event, simply cause they had a feud with a main event star (IE Rick Rude with Warrior in the steel cage for example), but from that era they're considered mid card talent really, bit like Dolph Ziggler today :)
I don't really remember it that way. They all headlined cards, while Hogan or Savage were on other cards.

The WWF ran multiple shows in much of the EA. So was Slaughter a mid carder?

I just remember that back then we called those guys "main eventers"

mid carders was a term reserved for what this new generation would call jobbers.

So ask them themselves, you ask Roberts. Were you a mid carder? I would like to see the look on his face.

You see back then jobbers were actually full time jobbers, they never ever won, of course their was a rare exception from time to time, but 99.99999% of the time they did not win, and unless there was a TV taping they did not appear on House shows.

Then you had guys who did jobs allot but would also score many victories especially in the mid card of a house show. These guys were never in main events at all. Not on any house shows, but they were on the mid card.

Guys like SD Jones, Salvatorie Bellomo, Cheif Jay Strongbow (late in his career), Hillbilly Jim, Lanny Poffo and many others at points in their careers. I don't think it's fair to label any of these guys as jobbers. We called them mid card guys. The current IWC, based on the way wrestling is today, has done so. This is a fallacy.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I put Henning cause it would have played up his Mr. Perfect gimmick and rocketed him to another level. Think of Henning playing it up with a clean win over Hogan. he would have pulled so much heat for it playing up his technical ability being so good that he did what others couldn't. But it also would have helped others as well, it would have made his build ups even better and guys he took on after for going toe to toe with the guy who beat Hogan clean, or it would have made the win over Henning that much more important. Henning is probably one of the top guys behind Piper and Ted to never win the WWF title and it's a damn shame. Rick would have been my second choice as both Ted and Jake were pretty high up on the charts as heels when Hogan was running the show but Rude and Henning were not at that level yet. a clean win over Hogan would have made them HUGE and benefited their careers more then Jake and Ted.

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
I chose to not vote since I think Hogan should not have lost clean to any of these at the time from 1984-1991.

·
Master Of the DDT
801 Posts
I chose to not vote since I think Hogan should not have lost clean to any of these at the time from 1984-1991.
And I went in the opposite direction. I couldn't vote because I believe that all four men should have had clean wins over Hogan. A clean win over THE top guy makes for an air of unpredictability, which will make more fans take notice & buy tickets/tune in.

·
Team Narcisse
7,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
CreepyCrawl I know what you are asking and you are a great forum member with good topics. So before I go further know this is not a dig at you.

Didn't all of these guys main event shows all over the country?

Has the PPV culture changed our definition of what a mid-cared is?

In the actual WWF Expansion Era (once again the GE was the 50's), there were fewer "PPV'S" and the culture was not established. The average fan got a steady dose of house shows. All of these guys were main eventing house shows. I mean I remember Jake no showing a house show in Nashville once and the crowd almost rioted because it was supposed to be him and Honkeytonk Man in the Main Event.

But that's not your question, to actually answer the question, I guess I go with Perfect as who I would have liked to see get it, but Rude as the one who probably could have used it.
No offense taken whatsoever. Looking back I probably shouldn't have use the term mid carder as it was not even necessary. I guess I define Main Event as who was headlining PPYs more so than wrestling at the top of the card for non televised events. Everything you stated is facts, though.

·
Still training, saying my prayers, eating my vitam
4,322 Posts
Though he is largely forgotten, I would have put Orndorff in the discussion. If they had a face vs. face feud before he turned on Hogan and went heel a second time, I think it would have been believable.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts