Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
The Empire will Reign again
17,155 Posts
At the end of the day Ronda has had good to great singles matches with Nia, Charlotte, Nikki Bella and Sasha, and that mixed tag at Mania that stole the show, while Sonya hasn't had any memorable matches, not even on NXT
You don't think booking and opportunity play a role in that?

·
Won't shut up about Peyton Royce
17,649 Posts
You don't think booking and opportunity play a role in that?
It has, but she has had those on NXT by the end of her run, she had a mini feud with Ruby that she won and got a title match Ember, nothing great or even memorable out of those. Also she has had more singles matches than any of the Iiconics, Sarah or Liv on the main roster and also hasn't produced anything memorable there, yet she is considered to be a level above those four.

When I ask why do you think she is great they always mention the couple of spots she had in the EC (not even the whole match), but besides that they can't mention anything, so I always find intriguing why people consider good when she hasn't had one good match so far.

·
The Empire will Reign again
17,155 Posts
It has, but she has had those on NXT by the end of her run, she had a mini feud with Ruby that she won and got a title match Ember, nothing great or even memorable out of those. Also she has had more singles matches than any of the Iiconics, Sarah or Liv on the main roster and also hasn't produced anything memorable there, yet she is considered to be a level above those four.

When I ask why do you think she is great they always mention the couple of spots she had in the EC (not even the whole match), but besides that they can't mention anything, so I always find intriguing why people consider good when she hasn't had one good match so far.
I think she's good because she's believable at the end of the day that's what wrestling is all about, making me buy into the fiction of them actually fighting and she's able to do that by being the best striker in the women's division, she has good ring psychology and attention to detail, for instance when she puts on a body scissors she forearms or elbows her opponent to do added damage, her mannerisms and pacing when she's on top in a match are consistent with her character, she's quicker to the point of attack and has better timing during choreographed sections than people like the IIconics and she doesn't really botch. This all adds up to more believable and solid matches even when she doesn't do any outstanding spots or have rapid fire exchanges of offense that usually comprise today's "good matches".

I feel like she's currently at the point Baron Corbin or the Miz was at where solid ability doesn't get recognized because the output isn't there, but like we saw from Miz and people are starting to see with Corbin, that's largely a function of how you're booked.

·
Premium Member
10,975 Posts
Kairi is the best female wrestler in the company.
Others on the same level as the HW, and idk why people like to pretend that the joshi are much better as if it's a different league.. anyways.. Asuka, Ember and the 4HW. Mickie could before her injury, I hope her injury + age don't affect ger performance when she returns.

So Basically: 4HW, Ember, Mickie (maybe), Kairi, Asuka. I would say Sonya, Ruby, Natalya are a small level below that. The only one i can maybe move up is Sonya as I haven't seen much of what she can really do, but her little chemistry with Asuka really is something special. Ruby/Nattie..well.. they're pretty good, but not on that level, and i've seen them in SHIMMER and it's not like they set the world on fire there too (While Ember, Becky and Asuka had some of the best women matches in NA history there).

·
alexa = greatest of all time!
3,169 Posts
lexi & asuka

·
Premium Member
10,975 Posts
There's a disturbing lack of bazzler in this thread. It's like people don't want to see her snap Charlottes arm
She sucks. I thought she was good at first because Kairi is so incredible she made that worthless trash look above average. But Shayna has sucked the life out of every match she was in, not really average matches, bad bad match quality 95% every-time she wrestled anyone but Kairi. I’d rather watch Liv in the ring than Shayna.

Also OP mentioned main roster women... only a few named Io, as she is one of the best female wrestlers in the world.

·
Registered
9,152 Posts
She sucks. I thought she was good at first because Kairi is so incredible she made that worthless trash look above average. But Shayna has sucked the life out of every match she was in, not really average matches, bad bad match quality 95% every-time she wrestled anyone but Kairi. I’d rather watch Liv in the ring than Shayna.

Also OP mentioned main roster women... only a few named Io, as she is one of the best female wrestlers in the world.
I agree but appreciate the visual of the 4 horse women getting their arms stomped on. It's going to take really good booking for me to appreciate them. I really only like Becky at this point cause she made Asuka look like a huge star.

·
Registered
230 Posts
There's a disturbing lack of bazzler in this thread. It's like people don't want to see her snap Charlottes arm

Whilst that would be a sight, I think the overall census (myself included) is that Shayna isn't good enough to step to the '4HW'

She's a great character and is one of the best at playing the dis-likable, bully heel. My issue with her is that she's not the most mobile in the ring. She can barely run and run the ropes in case her knees explode and this leaves her opponents having to work around her all the time, giving us the same boring match most of the time.

·
NBA
3,300 Posts
Asuka, of course. Armbar Moo and Kawaii are correct answers, too. And more coming from NXT.

·
24,251 Posts
Well, grouping the main roster women in tiers I'd have them like this...

Tier 1
Charlotte Flair, Asuka, Sasha Banks, Becky Lynch, Kairi, Bayley

Tier 2
Ember Moon, Mickie James, Ronda Rousey, Natalya, Ruby Riott

Tier 3
Sarah Logan, Alexa Bliss, Sonya Deville, Naomi, Liv Morgan

Tier 4
Nia Jax, Lacey Evans, Nikki Cross, Mandy Rose, Carmella, Tamina, Dana Brooke, Peyton, Billie

I'd say that the only ones on a similar level as the 4 horsewomen in the ring are Asuka and Kairi. Ember and Mickie are good as is Ruby but they don't quite reach that level. Ronda certainly has the potential to do so but we'll see when(and if) she returns how she continues developing.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts

Oh please! She brings realism to the ring and while not the best there, it suits her gimmick, although I like her technical style. She has presence, does decent promo and is a great heel.

She would be a breathe of fresh air on the main roster.

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
Asuka is so way above them it's not even funny, a on form Asuka is up there with the likes of Bryan and AJ. Kairi on top form is probably better or equal of Sasha, who I believe is the best in ring worker out of the 4 HW. Ember and Ruby Riott would be two to hang with them. Besides that not too many others imo.

Io would be on the same tier as Asuka.

·
NBA
3,300 Posts
Shayna is a mat hold type. And a very slow one at that, so she ain't going to mix well with the more acrobatic or athletic type (basically all the opponents she's faced on NXT minus Kairi). She need a babyface seller type (Kairi, and this is only a feeling, but Liv could be another one) to go around her interacting with her offense without making her come across as slow.

She should also fare better against the more mat and strike based wrestlers a la Asuka, Becky, Sonya or Ronda AS LONG AS it is a back and forth deal where they trade offense and not a one sided match where she gets to ragdoll them. As I said, only babyface sellers for that.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts